Thread: Bad day at the pond!

Default Bad day at the pond!

Well I was running a couple of boats on Saturday and things got a little expensive.
    First was my 45" endurance boat, new motor in it that I had tested the previous Saturday. I decided to fit a set of trim tabs, in the process I missed to plug the cooling lines back on from the rudder. 110*C and that motor is toast, bummer! I was using the RCM telemetry but the alarms were turned off, a combination of errors. On the up side the trim tabs improved things.

20190310_155209.jpg Notice the melted sticker. The rotor magnets have lost their 'magnety' and it smells burned!

My Q hydro, was humming, for about a lap then it stopped and smoke came out. The esc, a new ZTW 200A melted and the TP 4060 rotor has come partially come apart. i thought it must have been a bearing disintegrated but the bearings are intact. I am at a loss as to why the rotor failed, but it pretty much stalled the motor and the esc has over amped and melted. There is melted plastic and solder balls in the bottom of the boat.

20190310_153812.jpg20190310_153834.jpg20190310_153916.jpg

I guess on the up side, it's only some more money to spend and bolt bits in,every thing else is ok.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Good grief in the morning! That was a bad day you had. Hope you get things figured out.

Man, that's tough.

The Pond Gods had it in for you on that day.
    Check with where you bought the motor or with TP themselves. They might help you out with a new motor.
    I assume it was running well within its rev range.

Oh Peter!!! Crap!! But know you are not alone. I too have lost a motor to due to a silly reassembly cooling mistake. And ESC’s, well...
    Take a deep breathe(away from the smell), and regroup with some methyl hydrates for cleaning the stink.

And maybe touch base with TP, sometimes they are considerate .

Shawn

Check with where you bought the motor or with TP themselves. They might help you out with a new motor.
    I assume it was running well within its rev range.
    Thanks Paul, the motor is over three years old and has had one bearing replacement previously, so it is way out of any warranty. I am ordering two new motors from TP today. They are giving me free cooling jackets.

Take a deep breathe(away from the smell), and regroup with some methyl hydrates for cleaning the stink.
    Ahh yes the 'stinky'! I had to wrap the boat in plastic overnight because it was stinking out the house from my 'cave' below. I have a locally made product called "Grunt" which I use for cleaning my workshop floor. It is a heavy duty degreaser. It was just the ticket for cleaning the residue from out of the hull.

The downside of fying that esc is that I really wanted to see how well it would do over the longer term, and I don't think the esc was at fault here. I am not sure about getting another one ATM. I am thinking a V3 t 180 for my Pirate and putting the V2 I have into the hydro. It would just be the less expensive option for now. The other side of the ZTW esc decision is that they are a modified car esc with forward/reverse and you cannot turn off the reverse.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Personally, I don't care for the TP jackets and recommend using something else. The hose barbs are narrow and the internal water volume of the jacket itself is extremely limited. I have a box of them under my work bench.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)