Thread: overheating problem on seaking 120 v3 after motley crew blowover

Default overheating problem on seaking 120 v3 after motley crew blowover

looking for some suggestions guys if my esc is damaged now because of a high speed flip (landed right side up and was able to drive it back to dock) . here is what happened:
    I am having overheating problems with my seaking 120a v3 esc. I am running It in a aquacraft motley crue with stock motor and 2 3s batteries. It was running perfect for several months with my octura prop, upgraded flexshaft and stock motor. Then I had a blowover when I was running the boat and since then it overheats all the time. I checked all the measurments on the strut and motor mount to make sure nothing physically moved on the crash and its all fine. Water pick up and exit is fine. I run for just a minute or 2 and it starts to cut power, then stop. Wait a few seconds, then it comes back at half power. Same thing repeats. Take it out of water and esc is so hot specifically in the black taped wire connection, so much that it melted one of the T-plugs of my batteries.

Because you mentioned a hard landing, I would look for misalignment somewhere in the drive line. I know you said you checked, but that seems to be the most obvious place to start all things considered. Does the flex cable exit the stuffing tube near centered when it slips into the motor collet? Does the flex cable spin easily when not connected to the motor? Could the prop shaft (solid part of the flex cable) have been bent? If you roll it across a table is it true?

What about the cooling system, could it have become clogged? Can you blow air easily through the system?
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Stock AQ motor on 6s = I'd start there.

Ah,
    He said 't'plugs, (need bullets, 5.5 or 6.0mm) may be a problem, also: most likely battery problem. ESC will overheat if batteries cannot produce the voltage/amp that motor needs.
    Been running same (aq1800kv, hk 120 esc, 3s2p) in MC and have not had a problem yet (other than son decided to put 12s in, that was fun, fried)

Just my 2c worth

Have you checked the clearence of your flex shaft?
    I have had similar problems with a contracting flex shaft causing big wear and friction as they do contract quite some under load (relavance depends on your specific setup).

Maybe the crash caused one or more capacitors to detatch or deform, making your esc more susceptible to voltage drops or running hot from not cooping with ripple as good as before.

Another therory: sure this phenomenon is directly related to the crash? If not, then batteries C rating might be influenced by reduced temperatures (if you run it in sudden cold conditions), or if you have over-propped your motor thus potentially increasing amp draw.

Hope you find your fault, please keep us posted

Cheers

ok will check all this stuff. johnc, my set up was running fantastic, no heat, no problems until this happened.