Thread: Freezing motor before the run?

Default Freezing motor before the run?

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with freezing your motor before a run? Im running the Lehner 3080 and trying to figure out a pre cooling options to improve it's performance. I've read about people putting the motor in the freezer before the run, what are your thoughts about this?

Thanks!

Dale

Some SAW racers cooled their motors and ESCs by pumping ice water through the cooling system. I did this and it worked well for SAW runs. But when running we sealed up the system with the ice water in it.

Back when brushed motors and round cells ruled, some oval racers would cool their motors with ice or propane. This never became popular.

There could be a reliability issue with thermal shock loosening the magnet glue, changing tolerances, etc. To me, for most uses it is a waste of time.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Once everything is properly soldered and the water cooling is connected and not blocked in any way the motor temperature may remain cool throughout the run.

I don't think precooling is necessary. Also you should be mindful that the water you run in is usually cold so for that reason the water cooling is very effective.

Thermodynamically, I don't doubt there's an advantage to be had. In the real world, I bet for all but the fastest SAW setups in the world, it would be a waste of time an effort. I'd argue mediation before your run would yield similar results.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)