Thread: Vintage 1/10 scale hydroplane question

Default Vintage 1/10 scale hydroplane question

So what about the tail fin do you make that out of the same ply as the boat skins are ? the boat will be painted no wood grain will show do you laminate the plywood? is there somthing better?image.jpeg

I have used G10 board on my old shovel nose boats. But wood would certainly work too. If you don't laminate it, then you run the risk of it breaking.

I use ply laminated with glass
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Hi there Thank you for your reply. What is g10 board and where can I buy it ?

it is pre made fiberglass that comes in different thicknesses. It can be bought at Mcmaster https://www.mcmaster.com/fiberglass-sheets
    Billy Graham

Thanks Jim I'll check that out, the canopy is pvc molded type, would you just epoxie the fin on ?

Quote Originally Posted by RON F View Post
    Thanks Jim I'll check that out, the canopy is pvc molded type, would you just epoxie the fin on ?
    Billy Graham

Just a suggestion, if it were me I would have the fin go through the cowling down to the bottom of your hatch and braced really well.
    The reason is that when you flip the boat at fifty MPH and it hits the water up side down, guess what's going to break ?
    Just a thought.
    T.C.

Thanks. For the picture

Good idea. I thought just glueing it on would fail for sure thanks I also need to come up with a strut and stuffing box any suggestions ?

My tabs extend thru the cowl and are clued on the inside also never had one come off.
    Billy Graham

I made the fin today and I am going to notch the canopy like you did what do you do about fin braces

Is this what you are talking about? Actuallt 1/10th scale on the top and 1/16th scale on the bottom

Last edited by JimClark; 03-05-2019 at 04:06 PM.
    Billy Graham

Very Beautiful boats ! Wow !
    yes are they called stabilizers? And can you buy them? could you please tell me what kind of rudder assembly and propeller strut you used?

That's what makes races, Different opinions .
    Never had one come off either, but I have had the whole rear cowl with the fin come off when I flipped the boat.
    We found it floating in the pond.
    My thoughts are that it's only as strong as the plastic it's glued to, and ya also gotta ask yourself "will it take hitting the water at 50 MPH"?
    T.C.

Quote Originally Posted by JimClark View Post
    Is this what you are talking about? Actuallt 1/10th scale on the top and 1/16th scale on the bottom

Jim, that's a real looker you have there.

I'm impressed with those pictures. Fantastic!
    I'm trying to start with a first boat, using plans by G. Finlay.

Ron F, the strut wire/fin on Jim's boat will help secure the tail from breaking off and also works as ameans of holding the cowl on you boat. I use the strut wire for that reason. Two birds with one stone as they say.