Thread: Atomik Fountain King of Shaves P1

Default Atomik Fountain King of Shaves P1

P1a.jpg 2017-10-01 10.58.28.jpg P1e.jpg

This is by far one of my favorite scale RTR boats on looks alone. I've always loved the look of the Fountain P1 race boats and this particular boat was so dominant. Well, the model, not so much. In stock form with the 2000kV outrunner motor and 4S it would hit 45mph, but because it was so narrow, it was very unstable at top speed. They marketed this boat as 35", but the hull itself is actually about 31.5" long without hardware. The hull, in true Atomik fashion, is paper thin and in dire need of reinforcement, for preservation purposes more than anything. So, the build begins...

The interior was all wood and the motor mount was a proprietary clamp style for the outrunner. It all had to go. With a little heat, most of the wood and epoxy came out with little effort. The motor mount tabs were generously epoxied to the floor and took quite a bit of dremel work to get them out without cracking the hull. The hull is now bare. It's been sanded and ready for a carbon inlay. I sanded out some leftover epoxy with a dremel sanding drum back near the stuffing tube exit and went a little too thin, all the way to the gel coat. Not concerned as that portion of the hull underside had a lot of waves in it and will need to be skimmed in MarineTex and blueprinted flat anyways. The hatch is incredibly contoured and detailed, so I'll need to send that out to someone who can vacuum bag the inlay for me to be sure the reinforcement does it's job. While cool, that process is above my skill set and I'll happily pay someone else to do it, especially since obtaining a spare hatch would be near impossibly at this point.

2019-01-30 17.00.11.jpg 2019-01-30 17.00.25.jpg
    Last edited by fweasel; 02-16-2019 at 11:57 AM.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

The rear transom of this hull has a unique contour, which makes it difficult to mount a replacement stinger or rudder. The stock setup was a one piece, in-lin design that used a composite spacer to fit the contour shape. I cut the mount into two pieces and separated the spacer from the aluminum surface so that I could use them on the new hardware. I'll be installing the new rudder offset to the right. Stinger is an MTC from Germany, 3/16" shaft, that I cut down a small amount and repositioned the bearings internally with a punch. The rudder is from Tenshock.

2019-01-29 18.45.30.jpg 2019-01-30 14.55.04.jpg 2019-01-30 15.05.22.jpg 2019-01-30 15.20.20.jpg 2019-01-30 15.21.03.jpg
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)