Thread: OPINION on broken shaft

Default OPINION on broken shaft

Last edited by Speedfreek; 02-10-2019 at 03:53 AM.

My guess is you ran an out of balance prop and/or prop nut and a crack propagated from the bottom left in picture 3 which allowed the shaft to bend and threw it further out of balance and quickly snapped the end off.

Why are the step downs in shaft diameter there? Deleting them would make for a stronger shaft, or if they have to be there putting a raduis on there inside edges would spread out the stress load a little and make it a bit less failure prone.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

What is the diameter of the step down & prop size on that shaft ? is it a 3/16" bore prop. As you are running very large powerfull TP 5850 motors on 12s, also as said a step down with no radius will also break easier. It also looked like there was not enough gap between the drive dog & the stinger to allow for flex wind up.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    My guess is you ran an out of balance prop and/or prop nut and a crack propagated from the bottom left in picture 3 which allowed the shaft to bend and threw it further out of balance and quickly snapped the end off.

Why are the step downs in shaft diameter there? Deleting them would make for a stronger shaft, or if they have to be there putting a raduis on there inside edges would spread out the stress load a little and make it a bit less failure prone.
    Prop was a Andy brown ? I would think it would be balanced , Not my shafts and yes I agree that there should be a radius there

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    What is the diameter of the step down & prop size on that shaft ? is it a 3/16" bore prop. As you are running very large powerfull TP 5850 motors on 12s, also as said a step down with no radius will also break easier. It also looked like there was not enough gap between the drive dog & the stinger to allow for flex wind up.
    Yea 3/16 , I have gone up to the next size now and I machined it so I can have more of a gap too.IMG-20190210-WA0007.jpg

to me looks like of scarring on that shaft (maybe more grease or more frequent greasing)

although after thinking about it, it would effect the flex shaft not where it broke, but still in all looks like it should have some grease in there

Quote Originally Posted by Johnc View Post
    to me looks like of scarring on that shaft (maybe more grease or more frequent greasing)
    That is from the bearing. BTW Speedfreak I run two bearings at each end to carry the load and last longer. Once they wear they could cause a wobble and that may happen quickly with only one bearing. Something I’ve been doing on the step down shafts is run a 1/4” drive dog which locks the prop. Just a theory but I haven’t had a stepdown shaft fail.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    That is from the bearing. BTW Speedfreak I run two bearings at each end to carry the load and last longer. Once they wear they could cause a wobble and that may happen quickly with only one bearing. Something I’ve been doing on the step down shafts is run a 1/4” drive dog which locks the prop. Just a theory but I haven’t had a stepdown shaft fail.
    This drive does have two bearings at the prop end , I have put the 1/4 drive in there now and I have allowed 6.4 mm of gap too where before it would not allow me to do that , that's what I think happend.

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    Yep that's what I think

So how much would you say a 1/4 drive flex approx 8 in long would contract on eceleration ?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedfreek View Post
    So how much would you say a 1/4 drive flex approx 8 in long would contract on eceleration ?
    I would not think it would be much. 8” is fairly short. I know my 6” 3/16” have as little as 2mm gap with no issue. It’s all a matter of experimentation to find it. The little white thrust washers can help with this

I would not think it would be much. 8” is fairly short. I know my 6” 3/16” have as little as 2mm gap with no issue. It’s all a matter of experimentation to find it. The little white thrust washers can help with this
    it's 7" long close enough i have 6mm gap now and 1/4 dog drive shaft , it better not brake now these props cost to much to loose.

whats it out of probably not balanced prop could be a bad bearing too

Quote Originally Posted by MARK FORREST View Post
    whats it out of probably not balanced prop could be a bad bearing too
    Bearings are three runs old , prop was a Andy Brown.
    I might just put in oil-immersed sintered bronze bushings front and rear less headaches , expecialy in salt water...
    Last edited by Speedfreek; 02-16-2019 at 04:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedfreek View Post
    Bearings are three runs old , prop was a Andy Brown.
    I might just put in oil-immersed sintered bronze bushings front and rear less headaches , expecialy in salt water...
    End of season last year I stuck bushings in on the back of my HPR. I was having a hard time keeping bearings glued in for whatever reason. Plus... they aren’t $15 a pop every month and half.

I think I did the same thing on my 10s mono, 1/4” shaft stepped for 3/16” props, I had a 3/16” drive dog and that’s where it snapped. I’ve gone to a 1/4” dog now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

End of season last year I stuck bushings in on the back of my HPR. I was having a hard time keeping bearings glued in for whatever reason. Plus... they aren’t $15 a pop every month and half.
    The ones that I ordered have graphite dots in it to lube the shaft .s-l400.jpg
    Last edited by Speedfreek; 02-18-2019 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pescador View Post
    I think I did the same thing on my 10s mono, 1/4” shaft stepped for 3/16” props, I had a 3/16” drive dog and that’s where it snapped. I’ve gone to a 1/4” dog now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Way to go for now.
    Going to centre drill on the lathe and press the prop shaft in that way it has no week point.....20190212_145641.jpg
    Last edited by Speedfreek; 02-18-2019 at 02:39 AM.