Thread: Delta cyber storm 33"

Default Delta cyber storm 33"

Delta cyber storm "33" what would be a good fast and reliable motor esc. Setup? This will be used for " p" class ' 4s .. I am not looking to set world records

seaking 180amp esc / TP 3650 2350kv. It's a great setup in my 32" HK Outerlimits on 4/5S.

More reliable would be slightly less kv, around 2000kv. Above motor works well but it's fairly hot for a P mono race setup imo. The higher the kv for that class the more time you need to get it setup right as not to pop an ESC.

Not pulling punches Thunder but do you race that on 1 mile ovals? If you do, Kudos sir.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Tp 4060 1950kv, a good 4s battery, 45 to 47mm prop (m545, m447 just to list a prop or two).

The swordfish 220 x would be a good ESC.

yes i bought one of these hulls running on a t.p. 4060 - 1950 motor . 180 esc , 4s 1p. goes very well.

My temps come off around 115 on a 4-5min run. I Have run duel 5s in parallel on the seaking 189 with tp 3650 2350kv motor with 8min run time and still motor temps were in the 110-115.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder29 View Post
    My temps come off around 115 on a 4-5min run. I Have run duel 5s in parallel on the seaking 189 with tp 3650 2350kv motor with 8min run time and still motor temps were in the 110-115.
    How cold was the water?
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

It's airing right out with that light motor Thunder. Have you run it on 4s in traffic?
    Nortavlag Bulc

yes 2350 kv,s on 5s is pushing it abit in oval trim.

I'm not sure of the water temp. It was Fall / Late Fall. So the water was definitely not summer temps. Also was propped fairly conservative with a 3 blade 40mm/1.4pitch

Also just running with 1 other boat so no real traffic. I would agree this is probably not the best setup for racing. However it does work pretty so i was just putting it out there.

I suppose if you are going to run it in oval then it's all about the setup and driver comfort.

I raced mine in our 4s EA class, with a TP 4082 2200kv motor; Seaking 180A ESC, & an X440/3 prop. She went ok.

Default Delta Force Build

Building a Mono P Limited with a DF Cyber Storm hull. Have a seaking 160a ESC with 2 5000 Mah 14.8V batteries in parallel. What motor should I use for this class that will be competitive? I purchased a Auqua 3656 2030KV, I was told the rules call for 3656 size motor. I know there is a lot of tuning to the boat itself with fins, planers, and moving the center of gravity. I just would like to know that I have electronics to be competitive. Also does the size of steering fin make a difference in handling or speed?

I keep seeing the RPM's should be around 30000, should I adjust my timing in ESC to set my RPMs to 30000, and from there choose the best prop?
    Last edited by Sizemore; 05-24-2019 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Added Question

Keep the batteries in the centre of the boat in front of the motor, in my storm cog is at 36%. I use dual water pickup rudder, and medium rectangle turn fins, tear drop fins are not as stable imo. Fins and rudder I bought from ode.

Speedmaster fins Jay?
    Nortavlag Bulc

Hey Ray, the fins are from ose, $13.95 with mounting hard ware,

The recommended 30000 rpm has to do with kV multiplied by voltage. Nothing to do with the timing.

The default timing should be OK.

Being new to the hobby how do I choose a motor for the class and not buy numberous motors. I don't mind spending money to buy a motor but would like to buy 1 and be able to compete. I keep hearing that in Limited Mono P you have to run a 3656 motor. OK, then what is the motor that I need to buy. I bought three motors so far, which all three have burnt up. This is why I have started over with build and trying to learn what I need to do. I have been RC offroad racing since 1996 and the support with vehicle is a click away. where can I find the support for RC boat in choosing electronics?

Hull- DF Cyber Storm
    ESC- HW Seaking 160 Pro
    Batteries- dual Turnigy Graphene Panther 14.8Vdc 4000mah 75C-150C
    Motor- Auqua Marine 2030kv
    3/16 Stinger with no drag in shaft
    Prop- CNC 1.4 pitch 45mm

This is what I have now and hope to compete at Charleston, SC on June 8th. Hope to be competitive.

I had the batteries in front of motor in the center but I was told to move motor forward and run dual batteries? Should I go back to the way I had it?

Last edited by Sizemore; 05-28-2019 at 09:36 AM.

I think this forum is the best source of information. Your configuration is typical for P-limited class racing. So you have already done some good research. If you are consistently burning up motors, then your boat is probably running too wet. Too much hull surface in the water at full throttle, causing drag and excess current draw. Common reasons are 1) Center of gravity too far forward, 2) strut or stinger angled down with respect to keel, and 3) trim tabs too low. CG should be at 30% up from transom. Start with prop shaft parallel to keel, use a straight edge to confirm. Start with trim tabs about 1/16" up from level with the hull surface. Prop down to a 42 x 1.4, for safety during the trial and error hull trimming. I presume that you have confirmed that water is actually exiting from your cooling outlet. Try to make small adjustments to the stinger. The objective is to have about the last third or quarter of the hull in the water. There is a lot of experimentation to do. Ask some of the guys at the race to watch you run and make suggestions. Good luck.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

Awesome, thanks for the great information!

Yes, water is flowing from both outlets. 1 for motor and one for esc. Stinger and trim tabs are parallel with hull, I'll make the 1/16 adjustment and lower the prop to 42mm. My CG is probably the issue, 30% is where ill change it to and start testing from there. Thanks again!

Your first post said you were running "P" . my info was for P class. Your now running P limited. sorry for the confusion.

No worries, yes the first guy was asking about mono p, then I posted later about Limited P. I'm also working with a Cyber Storm hull. Thank you for any info.

P-mono Cyberstorm 33 setup. Neu 1521/1.5d seaking 220, 2 4s 5000mah. Boat should have motor near the rear and the batteries in front of motor. The CG should be about 33% from the rear of the boat. You should put stringers in the boat because the hulls are not very stiff.

P-limited mono, you do the same thing except use a ProBoat 1500Kv motor. and a seaking 180 is plenty for limited. also 3700's or 4000's are enough batteries
    We call ourselves the "Q"

Thanks for the help everyone. Finished 3rd in P limited Mono and P limited offshore in Charleston this past weekend. The boat was fast and steady. have a few issues I need to work on but happy I finished in top 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Sizemore View Post
    Thanks for the help everyone. Finished 3rd in P limited Mono and P limited offshore in Charleston this past weekend. The boat was fast and steady. have a few issues I need to work on but happy I finished in top 3.
    Way to go. I bet you are pumped.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

Congratulations. Welcome to the forum and IMPBA D13!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Excellent work, mate.
    It's good to see newcomers join a club and have initial success.

We had a new guy join our club a few weeks ago and he also had good results in his first day at racing.

What are the issues of which you speak?