Thread: ABC SK Series

Default ABC SK Series

Team,
    what are the differences in the SK Series to the other ABC props?
    https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...abc-sk-cleaver
    I see that they have more rake angle, (19+) and decreased blade area ratio (bar)
    I understand that increasing the rake angle tightens the thrust cone, and therefore decreases prop lift.
    it makes sense to me that a tighter thrust cone is a more efficient prop, and would yield greater speed.
    I don't understand Blade area ratio.
    Halp!
    Cheetah, Super Rio, (Mod) Starship (Mod and sold),

Larry, less blade area should cut down on frictional forces( or so I would think). I haven’t found these props particularly more efficient but certainly found speed. Downside of the rake is that it lifts the bow of the boat, or more specifically digs the transom in. This can be a feat to overcome. My thought and experience here are solely from SAW type running mind you. I’m still running Octura on my roundy Boats ATM

Larry,

I just tried an ABC 1716 SK cleaver prop on my Genesis and gained 10mph. My boat is now running 69MPH! Chris @ Dasboata did the prop for me...he works wonders! Boat not set up for SAW. Running a TP 4060 1650kv, everything else stock. Decent run time, medium temperatures.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieM41 View Post
    Larry,

I just tried an ABC 1716 SK cleaver prop on my Genesis and gained 10mph. My boat is now running 69MPH! Chris @ Dasboata did the prop for me...he works wonders! Boat not set up for SAW. Running a TP 4060 1650kv, everything else stock. Decent run time, medium temperatures.
    What prop was on it before?
    How did it handle with less transom lift?
    Cheetah, Super Rio, (Mod) Starship (Mod and sold),

M445 and a X445
    Seemed to handle fine...not a lot different. Seemed more planted.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieM41 View Post
    Larry,

Eddie not a SK but there 17* 1716 WHICH IS A AWESOME SERIES

Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    Eddie not a SK but there 17* 1716 WHICH IS A AWESOME SERIES
    Chris,

I had you prep an 1815 for me, and now my boat is up to 77mph! Dasboata/Chris are AWESOME!!!!!!

Reviving this thread in the hopes somebody now has more experience or information on the differences between the "SK" cleaver props vs the standard "CL" cleaver props. The only thing I can glean rom the prop charts is the have larger rake (23 vs 19/17/10). In theory these should be better for mono hulls who respond well to less transom lift.

Yeah, I'm also interested on how the SK / SKL props are different?
    Hpr 06 / 09 / 150 /185, Mhz Skater H45 hydro.
    Uk SAW record holder

The SKL series has an foiled cross section similar to the chopper series rather than wedge seen in the standard cleavers. They are a little different to prep due to the sharp leading and trailing edge. The 23 rake makes them very low lift and efficient at speed assuming a very free running hull. Like the chopper series, they cavitate a bit at very low speeds.

The 38% blade area makes them less than ideal for monos, a bit more blade area is your friend. If you want to play with this style blade on a mono, try the 1615-20-65(3)CPL with a 2000-2100kV motor on 4S.

All things being equal, I've found the xxxx-17-45 2 blade and xxxx-15-60 3 blade props are still the easiest to tune boats to. That's not to say the other series aren't fast, they just take a bit more tinkering. I got a 141mph pass out of my 4S rigger on the 1823-19-38(2), lots of tinkering.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

Hi Brian, thanks for the break down - makes sense

I'm thinking to try a SKL on my new rigger, first jump into the rigger game thinking a 1817-23-38 SKL 2900KV and 4s.
    Are you prepping props currently Brian?
    Uk SAW record holder

I was looking at your new rigger in the other thread, it's a beautiful piece of work.

2900kV is hotter than I'd run for a heat race boat. I ran 3050kV on my SAW boat that ran 141mph (TP3650) with an ABC 1823-19-38CLL. I run a 2450kV motor for heat racing (TP3640) with an 1817-17-45CLL. All that being said, you guys run a different format than we do.

Yes, I'm still doing prop prep. Just got a big order of blanks from Jim. I've got a months worth of grinding to catch up with backorders. Let me know if you need anything. PM coming with contact info.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

Yeah - I have no experience in riggers but from first seeing that hull when looking at drives for my Exocet cat, I've wanted one.. regardless, it's basically a sculpture to me.

Hard to really get much info about setting one up, I don't speak German and there isn't many people active online in the UK, the manufacturer told me he ran a 3100kv motor on 4s... I guess he is running a tiny prop. I think ill try the Lehner with 2500KV advertised on here if we can come to a deal. Will send a few props via email I'd like. Kind regards,
    Uk SAW record holder