Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2019 Michigan Cup

I agree, a race is only 2.5 min. and if there is only 3 boats in a class... so what! Guys build big and small boats they all break down at some point. Let them race, its there 2.5 min thrill why jyp them out of that thrill . You may not like big boats , but its not about you its about racing . and after a long winter we all just want to race.
    So I won't be racing any big boats …. not even Q Bummer !! But I love racing.... soooooo spec and P it is. When in Rome do like the romans!!

Cheers, Jay

Quote Originally Posted by K.R.Joye View Post
    I'm with you Howard and I live closest. Big disappointment!
    Agreed. Maybe I should try threatening people to make them come. I have tried begging a number of times in the past. Sometimes that helps.

You guys know how this works right? Classes that nobody runs or aren't important enough to inspire them to travel end up not having enough entries. Feels like you think we've dealt some injustice by dropping classes for which nobody is coming to race. By all means..........get guys to come that own the boats and we will run them. Open mono is very cool. That's why we offer stuff like that. Think there are maybe 5 "racers" east of the Mississippi that own them. By "racer" I mean traveling guys that turn laps. Q+ rigger..........less than 5 I'll bet. They wont travel if their class doesn't run. Their class doesn't run because they don't travel because their class doesn't run because they don't travel because.........OMG I'm stuck in a loop...........make it stopppppppp.

The reality is that turnouts fluctuate. Sometimes everyone's proverbial planets align and turnout is stellar. Other years the planets eclipse and nobody wants to or more importantly few...(er)......... are able to travel.

My thinking on travel is that I try (try) to support a race, any race, that offers electric classes and I can afford to get to. Who knows. Maybe by supporting their efforts......others will show up. Even if it's just to throw stuff at me. What ever it takes to get people to play toy boats works for me. I do know that the fun is contagious. If there is something in particular I would like to see make heats, I contact guys that I know own the boats and get them to consider racing. This I do for a venue I'm traveling to.

This race is less than 2 weeks away. I'm already focused on attendance for next year. Heck, I'm working potential attendees over for the CanAm. I would encourage any that like to race to do the same. Takes a village to raise a race........er.....build a race. Also working on an exhibition at a festival. Just to promote RC boating. Who knows, maybe the fun will set it's hooks in some more racers.
    Noisy person

I have to admit, I was looking forward to seeing Ken's 1/8 scale Miller, but I certainly don't think it has anything to do with Tom being against big boats. It's just about participation levels and signups! Unfortunately, as participation levels diminish, even less people are interested!! eeeeek!! C'mon guys, let's get out there and have some fun!! HobbyMaster, are you out there??!! Breaker 19'er for Hobby!!!!!

I enjoy going to a travel race. Other than the obvious of NOT having to run it , I enjoy competing against people that I normally wouldn't in a club race. I've been to a few travel races and raced 3 heats against nothing but club members . That was just the luck of the draw. The "shoot out" format allows people the chance to race a variety of other racers, as long as there are enough racers to be able to split them up into 2 sections in each round. If not, you are racing the same guys every time .

We try to run the Michigan Cup for the enjoyment of the many and not to cater to the wants of the few. People don't like to watch a 3 boat heat that has 2 boats make a start and one boat remaining running after 2 laps. It's disappointing and time consuming. Of the classes that were dropped, all but 2 had 3 boats or less entered. The other 2 classes were close but people would have to scramble to try to get boats together and race an untested / unfamiliar boat. That never ends well.

I really enjoy racing R/C boats. Being up on the drivers stand with 3 to 5 other drivers and competing against them is a blast. Unlike Terry, I won't beg, threaten or plead with people to come to a race (ours or club members to a travel one). As much as we all would like to have a large number of people at a race, I would rather be racing with people that actually want to be there racing the classes offered than those that are there begrudgingly!

That being said, The 2019 Michigan Cup will go on with those people that want to be there and want to race the classes offered. WE WILL HAVE FUN !! because the most important rule of R/C boat racing is to have FUN. If you're not having fun maybe you need to find another sport !
    Caution: Does not play well with others!

Really bummed I can't get up there(always a good time!)but as some know I have a full plate and then some. Haven't had a boat in the pond yet this season. Looking forward to the 2020 Cup!

Have fun fellas!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

You will be missed sir. Don too. Next year bring Lamar. Tell him I'll come down and get him if he doesn't want to ride with you two a'holes.
    Noisy person

I will come with Wendy to watch. Small chance of running because my body is not dependable . It's very hard to get back to a proper daily routine when I've been so messed up.

Add the fact my car is bunk. Engine went last year and tranny is going now so, looking for new wheels...

I miss racing boats. Never say never!!
    Nortavlag Bulc

If your up to it Ray you can use one of my boats. Just run one class to get your mojo back!
    Cheers, Jay.

Hey I never meant to dish the race. I just like big boats or Open Boats P and up. I personally never liked Spec. (JMO) My local buddies all run Open stuff. They have never even read the rules. I try guys I try. They just say why and throw 6s to go faster in a straight line. Still Planning on Canada. They run some big stuff.

Have a great time.

How we all wish we could race big boats.. I wish anyone would know why they don’t show up..in my eyes it is what it is.. does no good to beg.. and as much as people don’t like the spec classes they are the biggest..heck even stock gas classes are taking off now..be happy that terry and the guys at their club actually put on races..

Build it and they will come....

You have to get guys to gather before you can add in obscure class choices. Nature of the beast unfortunately.
    Noisy person

Don’t think all guys want to run big boats. They are heavy pain in the butts. But I like them. BTW. MY gas stocker is my favorite class. Spent way less on motors and only 1 is allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jaike5 View Post
    If your up to it Ray you can use one of my boats. Just run one class to get your mojo back!
    Cheers, Jay.
    I might take you up on that Jay. I do have some boats ready but it's the body I'm having issues with. I will try. Be there late Thursday afternoon hopefully. Wendy and I need to just get away to do something simple and easy like watching, lol... She has some tough health issues but keeps plodding on as she always does.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Still Planning on Canada. They run some big stuff.

Have a great time.[/QUOTE]

Long drive to run super sport !! looks like only a couple of spec classes running so far in the CanAm.
    Better recalibrate and sign up for the Michigan Cup...

Cheers, Jay.

Are you required to race Friday, Saturday, or both in order to be eligible for racing on Sunday?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jaike5 View Post
    Still Planning on Canada. They run some big stuff.

Have a great time.
    Long drive to run super sport !! looks like only a couple of spec classes running so far in the CanAm.
    Better recalibrate and sign up for the Michigan Cup...

Cheers, Jay.[/QUOTE]

Well so goes my racing....Off into the Sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
    Are you required to race Friday, Saturday, or both in order to be eligible for racing on Sunday?

Thanks
    > You can run just Sunday if you want.
    > Friday and Saturday are what count for the Michigan Cup.
    > Sunday is a separate day and everyone starts at 0 points.
    Caution: Does not play well with others!

Cool. Hope you can make it Mike!

Well another great Michigan Cup, good weather, entries were down a bit , but that was a good thing Imo. No rushing to tape up , time to chat with everyone, as well as pit for anyone who needed it. Elks took great care of all our needs, as well as good food on site, and far cheaper than any choke and puke in near by towns. Thanks to Tom and Terry, and the MMEU club for being such fabulous hosts.
    See you next year!

Cheers, Jay.

Good to see you Jay. Great time! :)

Thanks for all the fun and assistance. It helped me get back into the insanity of RC boating.

Darn esc was the problem with my Cheetah. It shall run again for this season.
    Nortavlag Bulc

This was a smaller race but that can be a ton of fun too sometimes.

Hope to see some of you at the CanAm.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    This was a smaller race but that can be a ton of fun too sometimes.
    No doubt about that..
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Forgot to say young Tyler Davis also did some CD duties while Dad and Tom were racing. A fine job done by Tyler with a drivers stand full of salty dogs!

Cheers, Jay.

I had a lot of fun challenging myself to get out there and run some laps. Thanks to all including the participants for putting up with my silliness.

I'll try to post some pictures later.

Sure wish I tried the Cheetah once more with the new esc, runs fine now.

Checking Air BnB, only found wheelchair accessible places more west towards lake Michigan but, I'll keep searching. That or another hotel close by, anything but that place again, lol...
    Nortavlag Bulc

Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12