Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PRO BOAT UL-19XR_Bashing a UL-19 into an outrigger...

Quote Originally Posted by oldbikerarlo View Post
    Nice job. You got me checking the forum every couple hours to see if there is anything new on the build.
    Lol... high praise. Thanks. It's a ton of work, but I love it. Seems like I always get myself into stuff like this

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Some random thoughts...

Chris said keep doing what you're doing, live and learn. I totally agree, there's no better teacher than experience.

This is my first attempt to make something out of fiberglass. I've done a few repairs on airplane cowlings and wheel pants. And helicopter canopies. But that's nothing compared to knowing anything about how to produce a component out of fiberglass...

In this information age we're in, the learning curve can be much shorter. But there's still a large gap between casual hobbyists and professionals. That's just true in every walk in life.

There's also more than one way to skin a cat. And we amateurs may be just as passionate, and get things done largely based on that. But the good information is so valuable. I respect it, and appreciate when it's shared by those who paid their dues learning it.

I can also understand the professionals not sharing what they know. How do you pass on a career with a few tips? Give me a few pointers and I'll make something out of fiberglass?

No.

The short answer is you don't, and can't just pour it into someone else's head...

On the other hand, this struck me as a fun idea to repurpose this hull. So, I suppose I'll keep fumbling my way thru this project, as humbled as I feel at this point...

Cheers...

I bet it will work a lot better than expected because, You think things through. Keep going, a lot of us are learning from your build.
    I have power tool's, it will fit

This is beautiful stuff to me. Modern math at work here...

I wasn't sure how to mold the rear air relief. So I cut it afterwards, then shimmed it up and glassed it back together.

I blueprinted 1-1/2 degrees over five inches, so the side opposite is .13093 exactly. I shimmed it with an 1/8" dowel. Close enough...

I made the cut tight to the side, so the fillet stayed with the bottom. Then notched the fillet so the bottom would flex easier. The side cut and the notch is shown with the heavy lines in the second sketch...

Last edited by sammyha; 03-02-2019 at 12:00 AM.

Some pictures of the setup...

Last edited by sammyha; 03-02-2019 at 12:00 AM.

And the results...

Last edited by sammyha; 03-02-2019 at 12:01 AM.

I have a dozen pictures that sum up my Saturday working on fitting the tub to the top. And fabricating the transom and a former.

I did get outside to hay our horses and took Wendy out to eat this evening. We do Valentine's dinner after the 14th to miss the crowds.

The first pic shows the bottom air relief after cleaning up the corners.

Then I made a cardboard template for the transom.

And laid up a fiberglass plate to laminate to the CF piece.

I gave up on the extra fiberglass I left to tie in the transom. I got some epoxy on it and couldn't make the bend...

Last edited by sammyha; 02-16-2019 at 11:51 PM.

While the fiberglass plate was setting up I put the motor mount together to see where the stuffing box would go thru the bottom.

And made the CF former that will be under the joint of the top deck.

I also laid out where the boom tubes will go. I still have to make the former that will tie in the support for the rear boom tube.

Here's pictures of the transom laminate and fitting it square to the tub...

I laid out the ESC and battery locations.

I'm referencing these locations from my RSX380 since the tubs are the same length.

Lastly are a couple of shots of the center former and the transom from the inside.

Again, there's a crazy amount of figuring and fitting and fabricating for this project. A labor of love for sure...

Last edited by sammyha; 02-16-2019 at 11:58 PM.

Impressive progress

The MAS epoxy resin I ordered for the CF bottom layer should be here tomorrow.

Getting some stuff done while I'm waiting for that. I've got the transom glassed in and sanded flush.

Here I'm filling the voids in the bottom corners. I've covered one side of my ruler with the contact paper. Then I'm clamping it with the PVC clamps I used for epoxying the sponson top sheeting on my RSX380.

so do you know why there are voids on the corners ?

Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    so do you know why there are voids on the corners ?
    Because I didn't lay down the first coat of epoxy all the way to the corners. I figured I could then pull back the fiberglass and fill the corners. Was hard to get epoxy to flow in there.

In hindsight I would coat the entire mold with epoxy first.

Why else Chris? Educate me...

Quote Originally Posted by sammyha View Post
    Why else Chris? Educate me...

PS there is no mold anywhere there,, cloth does not conform to sharp corners you need to 1st add a bit of filler then mat which does conform better,, then cloth on top of the mat

The rubber bits on the clamps are a nice touch. I used tape but it's not nearly as good as rubber.

Thanks and cool build!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    PS there is no mold anywhere there,, cloth does not conform to sharp corners you need to 1st add a bit of filler then mat which does conform better,, then cloth on top of the mat
    My inexperience with fiberglass again. Or still, lol. I went on YouTube and watched a few full size boat videos on fiberglass work. Yup, that's what they were doing, first a slurry they called peanut butter in the corners. Made of chopped fiberglass and resin. Then the mat over that. It looks like chopped fiberglass crisscrossed into a layer. That build up the corner radius. Then the cloth...

Man I am green as grass with this stuff. Well, part of learning.

Thanks Chris...

Last edited by sammyha; 03-02-2019 at 12:08 AM.

Plowing on... It does sand without balling up, barely. The micro balloons are working. I did lightly wire brush my sanding block to clear it a couple of times...

Last edited by sammyha; 02-24-2019 at 09:50 AM.

I've made all my formers.

So, five supports on the bottom. At the transom, at the air relief bend, the full former under the top deck joint, a partial former at the rear boom tube location and the 1/4 round air dam area.

Last edited by sammyha; 02-24-2019 at 09:52 AM.

Sanded square and fitted back in the mold for the carbon fiber layer on the bottom...

I thoroughly sanded it first, then brushed in a coat of the low viscosity MAS resin. I bought the medium non-blushing hardener.

It seems to have about the same working time as 30 minute epoxy. It's slower curing tho. So, maybe more like 1 hour epoxy...

Then I brushed some more resin after laying in the CF mat. Enough to fill the cloth so there's no dry spots. Nice stuff to work with, the pumps are handy and worth the fifteen dollar price, easily.

Last edited by sammyha; 02-24-2019 at 09:54 AM.

I have a question...

Has anyone tested cutting CF cloth 45 degrees to the weave?

So the strands provide torsional stability?

Otherwise they run length ways and cross ways to the hull.

Took a huge chunk out of my roll, but I'm curious if it makes a difference. I'll let you know how it feels tomorrow after this cures...

Quote Originally Posted by sammyha View Post
    I have a question...

Has anyone tested cutting CF cloth 45 degrees to the weave?

So the strands provide torsional stability?
    Yes, this is standard practice CF. You lay the fibers in the direction you want strength. In the pro world, you would do a finite element analysis to determine the direction that needs the greatest strength.

in general, when laying up layers, it usually best to do it all an once.
    Also, the layers need to mirror each other. This is done to keep the stresses the same on both sides of a part, so the part doesn't want to warp.
    Cheetah, Super Rio, (Mod) Starship (Mod and sold),

I use the 4” mini foam rollers from Lowe’s cut in half, they do a great job leveling the resin and leaving just enough on the cloth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

Back in the mold for the last time. I'm epoxying and glassing the formers in with 1-1/2 ounce cloth.

Last edited by sammyha; 02-23-2019 at 10:42 PM.

I figure it's easier to prep everything I can before I join the top and the tub.

So I'm drilling the tub for the brass tubing and boom tubes. And aligning them parallel to the tub and to each other.

Last edited by sammyha; 02-24-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Here I'm double checking the location of the sponsons, and measuring and filing out the holes as needed to get everything parallel to the tub...

Nice upside down picture, hehe. Sorry about that...

When I epoxy them in, the doublers are drilled to size and will hold everything parallel...

Last edited by sammyha; 02-24-2019 at 09:58 AM.

I've figured for motor location already. Here's the center support for the rear boom tube. And the CF doublers.

I also made a center support for the front boom tube. You can just see the back edge of it in the second picture.

That was a fun one to make and fit in there...

There's an amazing amount of work and figuring things out to reach this point. But the upside is, I have so many details sorted out already.

I've removed the top to epoxy the front center support to the brass tube. I need that done before joining the top and tub...

Last edited by sammyha; 02-24-2019 at 09:57 AM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast