Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: PRO BOAT UL-19XR_Bashing a UL-19 into an outrigger...

Finishing up with some final details. I'm getting close now.

In the first picture, I'm molding the silicone seal for the rear hatch.

Second picture I have the sponson booms drilled and the bolts in. And the turn fin is bolted on.

Lastly, I forgot to order 8mm bullet connectors for the motor. They should be here early next week.

So, solder up the ESC and BEC, install the receiver and it will be ready to maiden! I copied the program for the RSX380 in my radio. Shouldn't take much to get that dialed in...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sammyha; 04-27-2019 at 10:45 AM.

I love OSE!

I put in my order on Friday night around eight o'clock. It was in the mailbox after work today! It's only Monday...

This took me most of the evening to solder up properly. I don't know if you can get it done faster and it doesn't matter I suppose. It's the worst part of the build to me.

But it has to be done and done right. Anyway it's a nice neat wiring job with good solder joints...

Last edited by sammyha; 04-23-2019 at 04:40 AM.

Then I realized I'm really close to wrapping this baby up. And I couldn't stop...

It's three o'clock in the morning now. The Pro Boat UL-19XR is done! Ready to get wet...

Last edited by sammyha; 04-23-2019 at 04:41 AM.

I was successful in programming the SwordfishX 200 amp ESC on my laptop. I've read about a lot of problems guys are having with the software. And I figured some stuff out that I want to share.

It has a onboard BEC, but it's a bit wimpy at 5 amps. So I went with the Castle ESC. It's 13 amps at 5.25 volts default. Just had to disconnect the red wire on the throttle plug. I haven't modified the programm yet, but Castle programming is a breeze.

For the Swordfish Hifei software I copied the file on the disk to my desktop. It's a compressed file, so I downloaded WinZip and opened it, then I could install it. Just double click on the executable file and follow the promps.

And then I had the same problems others had connecting to the ESC. Wrong port.

Guess what? Leave it at default, Port 3. Then follow the instructions EXACTLY as they are written.

Plug the cable into the ESC, plug the USB plug into the computer. THEN open the software. It recognizes it right away...

I didn't open or save it as an administrator or do anything else to get it to work.

Last edited by sammyha; 04-27-2019 at 10:42 AM.

I've fired up the electronics and ran the motor and no smoke show!

Everything is done. The throttle is calibrated, the ESC is programmed to my liking. Antennae is mounted.

And I'm supposed to work tomorrow...

This is looking like a personal day to me. Maiden tomorrow?

Maybe...

Last edited by sammyha; 04-23-2019 at 12:25 PM.

Here's a link to a short video of the finished Pro Boat outrigger...

https://youtu.be/tKVLRjHOWAA

Last edited by sammyha; 04-23-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Sam, that looks AWESOME!!!! I'm sure there are quite a few of us waiting for this beautiful build of yours to finally get in the water and see it in action. . . .hope and wishing your maiden run to be a great success.

Quote Originally Posted by Bp9145 View Post
    Sam, that looks AWESOME!!!! I'm sure there are quite a few of us waiting for this beautiful build of yours to finally get in the water and see it in action. . . .hope and wishing your maiden run to be a great success.
    Thank you so much. I took this on, not being quite sure I pull it off. So, good stuff, challenging ourselves and sharing the effort it takes to build these complex models. It's a cool thing to be involved in a community like this. The interaction on this forum has been great.

Last edited by sammyha; 04-27-2019 at 10:43 AM.

I pulled an all nighter, kinda lost it when I knew the end was near. I spent the morning finishing the last of the details I like to tidy up on a build.

Then took an hour plus nap. Was not feeling it after that, but the weather was so nice. Nice weather, but we're still crawling out of winter here. We've had a late spring snowstorm, more snow and then rain yesterday.

Anyway, here's a link to the maiden...

https://youtu.be/Pfct9K8e9hE

Last edited by sammyha; 04-24-2019 at 06:37 AM.

"Off the Bench"

I'm waiting for better water conditions. I risked hitting sticks and spring runoff debris to get the maiden done. There's no sense putting it in the water right now. I will post some running videos soon to see what this rigger can do.

In the meantime...

https://youtu.be/I8Oc-ARLB5Y

Nice video. Hope ProBoat see's it, HAHA.
    I have power tool's, it will fit

Quote Originally Posted by oldbikerarlo View Post
    Nice video. Hope ProBoat see's it, HAHA.
    Thank you. You never know, I would like to see them come out with a rigger. Might be too small of a market tho.

Btw, can you tell me the song and the band on the vid? It's a street lab mix of a classic...

I'm still waiting for my reservoir to clean up. So I'm putzing around with more details.

I did some lettering using the computer generated font method. And I've brushed over it with conformal coating to seal it in. The coating is barely visible, I have to catch the lighting just right to photograph it...

Quote Originally Posted by sammyha View Post
    Thank you. You never know, I would like to see them come out with a rigger. Might be too small of a market tho.

Btw, can you tell me the song and the band on the vid? It's a street lab mix of a classic...

here you go sammy https://youtu.be/RbmS3tQJ7Os
    volantex vector pro ,proboat veles 29 , traxxas spartan, hobbyking/tfl pursuit ,ft009 with rescue rigging

Quote Originally Posted by boatsrnew2me View Post
    Very good. Nailed it...

I got another run in. It's staying on the water. Gaining more confidence in the setup...

https://youtu.be/WXQzSF3uMDk

FINALLY, figuring this out...

https://youtu.be/4PXEp6umoLE

And here's this if anyone is interested in knowing what took me so long to figure it out...

https://youtu.be/HZD6u9Qep7A

Sweet!
    Nice job man!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

And here's this if anyone is interested in knowing what took me so long to figure it out...

https://youtu.be/HZD6u9Qep7A

Very cool...I thought it looked like it was riding too low in the earlier videos. At the time I was thinking the sponsons weren't low enough. But increasing the ride pad certainly did it. The front jumps right up when you get on the throttle. Great job man!

That's your contribution to this thread?

Really enjoyed the entire informative tread, so cool. Thanks! Next?
    AquaCraft UL-1 59mph.
    Motley Crew 61mph.
    JAE 21FE ~~~ 70 MPH Club ~~~

Quote Originally Posted by 704Authentic View Post
    Really enjoyed the entire informative tread, so cool. Thanks! Next?
    Thanks for following it! At first I thought you were piling on me, my misunderstanding, lol. Glad you enjoyed it.

Whew! Next? I started this on a whim, an idea out of the blue...

I'm feeling quite satisfied I got it running this strong!

We'll see...

Last edited by sammyha; 08-18-2019 at 10:06 AM.

Here's a look at a screen shot from video of the UL19XR that clearly shows what I was seeing. This was shot before I widened the sponson ride pads.

In this screen shot it's running about 45 to 50 mph. The feeling driving it was the sponsons were running in deep troughs. And the spray was coming from too far forward, the tips of the sponsons are the only thing holding it on top of the water...

Last edited by sammyha; 08-17-2019 at 11:32 AM.

Here's a screen shot of it running about the same speed. This feels much different, it's on the sponson ride pads and it steers easier.

The spray is way farther. Even the back of the boat is running in cleaner water...

Lastly a shot at full speed. Running like a rigger should, fully released with a nice flat rooster tail from a surface piercing prop with only one blade in the water...

Here's a look at a screen shot from video of the UL19XR that clearly shows what I was seeing. This was shot before I widened the sponson ride pads.

In this screen shot it's running about 45 to 50 mph. The feeling driving it was the sponsons were running in deep troughs. And the spray was coming from too far forward, the tips of the sponsons are the only thing holding it on top of the water...

What I was seeing in the earlier vids that can be seen in this is the center section was too much in the water still when it was on a plane. Typically a rigger should run like my sport 20 were it rides on the sponsons and the prop...center section completely out of the water. I just didn't want to say anything because I'm still really new to this and wasn't sure I was seeing it right.

Quote Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
    What I was seeing in the earlier vids that can be seen in this is the center section was too much in the water still when it was on a plane. Typically a rigger should run like my sport 20 were it rides on the sponsons and the prop...center section completely out of the water. I just didn't want to say anything because I'm still really new to this and wasn't sure I was seeing it right.
    Appreciate it. It took me a bit to figure it out. I'm only a year in on boats myself.

Funny deal, I noticed the smaller ride pad area during the build. I was copying my RSX380 for the basic dimensions. Motor location, sponson and turn fin location, center of gravity, etc.

And I remember thinking, just maybe it would go really fast with narrower ride pads, you know, less drag? Maybe I would discover something new...

Nope.

So I learned the hard way. It's not a good idea to go against proven theory that has stood the test of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Sweet!
    Nice job man!
    Thank you very much!

I've been waiting too long for our rainy, windy fall weather to change. Well, the rain finally stopped...

https://youtu.be/t_u6BswG7SA

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast