Thread: 1995 Smokin' Joes Build

Default 1995 Smokin' Joes Build

This is a 90% built wood kit - I believe from plans - that I'm slowly getting started on. I picked it up from Jesse who bought it from Jim Vaughn. Not sure who originally built it or how many times it changed hands but I'm going to give it my best shot. If you recognize it please post! Can't take too much more of watching Jim's 1:8 hydroplanes at HOTMBC.

Here's the hull in its current state. Quite complete but in need of some repairs. I did a little research (thanks Don F.!) and as a '94-'95 it needs rear shoes which I'll have to fab.

The motor looks a bit far rearward I'd like to shift it forward with ESC on top if possible.

I have 40 years of RC experience and a lot of of composites experience, but little with FE boats and zero with 1:8 scale. All tips appreciated thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

First thing I noticed was that hatch and windscreen was missing that smooth more F-16-like shape and the windscreen was cracked anyway. So I picked up a new properly shaped one with insert from RCBC. The top needs a more smooth consistent curve, so my best bet was to mold a new top section from the new canopy, and then to glass that into the old canopy.

Pics show the differences. The new windshield was trimmed, mounted for glassing, coated with Loctite Frecote, and a coat of West 105/207 applied. 2 layers of some cheap cloth I had lying around seemed adequate. Its warming in the sun a bit for now. Hope I can save the windshield and not have to buy another!
    Last edited by Mike W; 01-27-2019 at 05:18 PM.

"Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Mold came out perfect and screen survived without a scratch. Frecote works great!

Nice! That is going to be a beautiful boat!!

Who manufactured that kit originally?
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Who manufactured that kit originally?
    Wish I knew. Jim said he believes it was built from plans.

Trimmed new molded cockpit cover windscreen bubble and checked fit, marked, and cut. Fits surprisingly well! Only needed to be slightly recurved to match up in back.

Butt-tacked with CA and some chopped fiber and CA filler where needed. Sanded back primer and feathered a bit on each side of the seam, and taped backside. Prefilled a bit with epoxy/microballoons after precoating with epoxy, then added a couple 1oz. strips of cloth. Will prep and do the same on the backside tomorrow.

Primer seems to be black epoxy, then beige urethane, then a final coat of white epoxy. Nice work but a bit heavy buildup.