Thread: Would there be any interest V2.0 ??

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Would there be any interest V2.0 ??

I brought this up in the Boat Building Talk forum and the silence was deafening, so I thought I would raise the question here and see if the results were different.

As you all know, I’m a great fan of the micros. In a manner of speaking, I feel like I’m picking up the torch Trent Hare left off for someone else to carry. I have developed AutoCAD files to laser-cut parts for a 1/20 Atlas “Blue Blaster” based on Garry Finlay's plans and a 16” version of Jesse J’s modified Shockerman cat. Now comes the conundrum: Randy has offered me the molds and tooling to produce his line of micro hulls at a VERY REASONABLE price. The drawback is I’d have to drive from SoCal to the Bay Area to get them. Additionally, the designs are a bit dated by today’s standards, but the success of the Micro Turbine Hydro and the Micro Scat Cat that are the subjects of prior threads are testimony that while dated, the designs are still solid and dependable.

If I were to make this deal with Randy, it is patently clear that I would not just be building hulls for my personal use. Obviously, I’d want to sell some hulls to amortize my investment. I could combine laser-cut internal plywood structure like I did for the Micro Turbine SSSH build; I could incorporate the lower profile I did for my Micro Scat Cat build. I could spec out modern hardware (Steve sells much of it here at the OSE store), I could even come up with new molds for completely new designs in the future. So here’s a question I’d like to pose, and it’s the same question posed by Stinson68 earlier in this forum with rather few responses:

Would there be any interest in building “Old School” micros? I could do either all wood or vacuum-formed or both. If so, which would you prefer to build?

Send me a PM, or if you think your response would be good to share with everybody here, feel free to respond to this post.

Finally, I have a VERY SHORT window of opportunity to make this deal happen (One week). Speak up NOW! You snooze, we all lose…
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dr. Jet; 01-13-2019 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Fix verb syntax
    A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves