Thread: Miss Geico 29 V3 winter build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Miss Geico 29 V3 winter build

Everytime I sell off one of my Proboat 29" V3 cats, I see how well my original Blackjack runs that REDLINE1 now owns, and fall into another one when a deal arises. This time, it was a bare Miss Geico hull that someone had started to grind out the stock mounting rails. They didn't get very far, but far enough that the job had to be finished and then rebuilt from scratch. It took the better part of an hour to carefully grind out all of the original composite mounting rail material and various battery tray tabs. I used a combination of dremel cutting wheels and sanding drums. To prep the interior of the hull for a carbon inlay, I sanded everything with 200 grit sandpaper and smoothed down as much of the factory drips and blobs as I could. Ended up with a nice blank fiberglass canvas.

2018-12-15 13.46.02.jpg

Then I started the inlay. I made templates for the sides, full bottom wrap, rear overhang, and front upper deck out of butcher paper. Transferred the patterns to 2x2 3K twill carbon cloth and outlined with scotch tape to keep the ends from fraying. First I put 2" carbon strips down the sides of the hull to reinforce the seams. Next I used one large piece to cover the tunnel, sponsons, up and around the sides, and just short of the hatch opening. Put in the small piece at the rear of the hull and then the front upper deck. I had been doing my inlays in the past using 3M adhesive spray to hold the cloth to the hull before it was wet down with resin. I didn't want to spray that inside in my tiny workshop, so I wet the fiberglass surface with resin using a foam brush first, folded the cloth up, and rolled out out into the hull. Pushed all of the corners and edges down with a roller, then brushed on another film of resin and rolled over it with a foam brush.

2018-12-15 19.20.05.jpg 2018-12-16 09.08.36.jpg 2018-12-16 09.16.16.jpg 2018-12-15 20.31.26.jpg
    Last edited by fweasel; 01-12-2019 at 09:01 PM.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)