Thread: Newbie AR 44 cat build

Default Newbie AR 44 cat build

Hey everyone! Getting back in the game after many years and this is my first electric build. I just ordered an AR 44 cat hull. Going to run twin outboards with Hyperformance 7.5 legs. Set up will be 6s with option to run 8s. Plan for twin Leopard 4092 1390kv 2Y motors. I plan on using one 6s 40c 6000mah battery for each motor to start with for simplicity sake. This boat will be built for fun, not racing, so run times are key, but would like to have the speed if I want it, hence the 8s option.

I want to run 200 amp ESCs. I could do 180a but would limit myself to 6s in that case. Problem is I would like reverse and BEC.

I've looked at the Turnigy 200a and it has reverse but it doesn't have BEC...and what little feedback it has on hobbyking reviews is bad.

I also looked into the Swordfish 200a but it doesn't have BEC or reverse.

The ZTW Seal Series ESC 200A has both but it is out of stock.

I found a 60 dollar one from a Chinese website that has reverse and BEC but then you have the potential problems with shipping, customer service, and possibly reliability...?

I'm unfamiliar with all these brands and would like feedback from anyone on other options. Is there an ESC out there that I'm unaware of? Or...should I just forget about those two requirements?

Thanks,

Murray

Cool

I like the AR cat hulls, it should make a very nice FE. But, I’d forget the reverse option. Yes it looks cool to back off the beach, but there are at least two problems:
    1) you risk unwinding the flex cables, which causes lots of problems.
    2) finding a decent proven high-power ESC is a problem, as you’re finding out.
    Probably best to go with forward only.

Depending on how you run, 6000 mAh may not give you a lot of run time in that big boat. Averaging 100 amps per motor will give you three minutes of run time. Most would parallel two pairs of packs in a boat that size.

A $60 200 amp ESC? Why not just send me the money and save yourself the inevitable hassle and the need to buy two more quality controllers?

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Thanks for the reply Fluid!

The Chinese ESC option is probably not going to happen for obvious reasons.
    Hahaha.

Reverse is definitely not top priority and as I haven't done this before it helps to have insight from someone who has.

Good point on the 6000mah batteries. I have thought about doing them in parallel but am unsure of weight restrictions as I dont have the hull yet. That would mean four 6000mah batteries if I doubled it. Seems pretty heavy, but I dont know.

I guess the main question now for the ESC is the BEC. I would like the simplicity of the BEC. How important is is? It would give me one less thing to worry about as far as batteries and charging. What are your thoughts about this?

One thing I just thought about was counter rotation. It might sound dumb, but does the reverse option on the ESC do the counter rotation? I.E. do you program the ESC to run in reverse for the counter rotating prop? If my thinking is correct you just reverse the polarity of the motor when you connect it and dont have to mess with the ESC. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks again.

You are correct on reversing motor polarity. As far as on board milliamps perhaps 4 4000mah 6s packs. I have a 43” cat that I run twin 1580 kv’s on 6s with 4 42-4400 mah packs in. It runs fast but for a solid 4mins at full tilt. You would do better with your KV choice(runtime anyway). I also guarantee your AR will be lighter as I am running heavy Castle 1717 amp hogs. This is it for an idea: https://youtu.be/uuP1Bi1eISk

And for BEC. Run one separate which is wired in line. The built in ones ALWAYS fail. If you have a hard time finding one I have some here. Another option is a Rx pack.

Shawn

PS: btw, I love the AR 44!!!
    Last edited by srislash; 01-08-2019 at 12:15 AM.

Shawn,
    Good idea on running 2 packs per side. I was unsure how much weight would affect it. After seeing yours I guess I dont need to worry! You were giving it the beans the entire time. Seems like a respectable run time for that flat-out speed.
    As far as wiring BEC, I'll have to look into how to do that. Didn't know it was an option. Just dont want to have to fool with reciever batteries.

So I'll just get the Swordfish 200a then? Any experience with these?

Thanks

Weight has little effect once a boat is on plane. Getting it there is where it comes into play. You will benefit from the spare onboard amps over the weight.

I have a lighter version of the same hull in the works. I am going to try to improve runtime. Build thread: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...Cat&highlight=

As far as the Swordfish I had some of the original 200’s and a 240hv, they were great, but haven’t tried the new ones. My tried and true are converted Castles and some Etti’s. I do have a pair of Swordy 300’s in my big $$ boat and they are great so far. When setting up Swordfish ESC’s set programming to auto on timing and cut off. They just seem to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vipeout84 View Post
    Shawn,
    Good idea on running 2 packs per side. I was unsure how much weight would affect it. After seeing yours I guess I dont need to worry! You were giving it the beans the entire time. Seems like a respectable run time for that flat-out speed.
    As far as wiring BEC, I'll have to look into how to do that. Didn't know it was an option. Just dont want to have to fool with reciever batteries.

So I'll just get the Swordfish 200a then? Any experience with these?

Thanks
    A receiver battery is the better way to go. Just get a LiFe 2s 700-1000 mah.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Ok sounds good. I won't worry too much about BEC then. Shawn, that build looks interesting! Definitely picking up some tips on mounting hardware. I'm getting excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Vipeout84 View Post
    Ok sounds good. I won't worry too much about BEC then. Shawn, that build looks interesting! Definitely picking up some tips on mounting hardware. I'm getting excited.
    I’m really just waiting on the motor mount on that. I can’t wait to see yours come along. I love the Dubai