Thread: 3060 Shaft End Play?

Default 3060 Shaft End Play?

I have a 3060 that came to me disassembled and in need of rust cleanup. That is done and it is reassembled but seems to be missing a ~3mm length shaft shim. There was a 8mm wave washer present that I installed ahead of the rear bearing but can still push the shaft 3mm toward the front of the motor from where it happily resides in the mag field. ~4mm of shaft protrudes from the rear bearing inner race.

I'm curious where exactly the shaft should be centered and is it centered with 2 spacers front and rear or with only one? Just need the correct info to order the correct length bearing shims, and the correct end play against the wave washer to order a shim set.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Mike W; 01-06-2019 at 07:16 PM.

Mike,
    Do you have a fan or non-fan version?
    Usually for the fanned version there is a single wave washer between the fan and the front bearing. Then there will be a stack of washers to set the end play. When the front end bell is tight there should be .005-.010 movement in the shaft and it should be feel smooth.

Add as many washers as necessary to the back end of the rotor as necessary. One of the washers also needs to be a wave washer.
    Magnetic centering is not super critical with the ironless LMT motors.

Tyler
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Thanks! It is fanless. So that final end play clearance of .005 - .010 is the last bit of compression in the wave washer?

Correct, just some compression in the washers is what you want to target.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR