Thread: Offset drive line in 1/16 scale hydro ?

Default Offset drive line in 1/16 scale hydro ?

Hi all looking at building the 1/16 scale Atlas van lines a Gary Finlay plan from around the 2002 era i noticed he had the drive shaft offset to the right by a 1/4'' . What is the advantage of this ? I also noticed on the plan on the sponson inside edge that there is a 3/16'' 45 degree bevel and also a 1/8'' 45 degree bevel on the belly pan. What would the reason be for this ? Regards Andris Golts.

The drive shaft offset to the right by a 1/4 is to counter act torque from the motor. I do not get the other questions right now.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Hi Randy thanks for the reply. To further clarify my 1st post the 2 sponson inside bottom edges have a 3/16''wide x 45 degree bevel and the bottom 2 belly pan edges also 1/8'' wide x 45 degree bevel in my last 35 yrs of hydro building i have always made sure that inside bottom sponson and belly pan edges are perfectly square and sharp for handling and steering never heard of any one beveling inside bottom sponson and belly pan edges just wondering what the purpose of this process is to improve handling ? Regards Andris Golts.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyatBBY View Post
    The drive shaft offset to the right by a 1/4 is to counter act torque from the motor. I do not get the other questions right now.
    It done because of the prop walk, Myself and the SAW cat guys all do the same I offset drive lines and also put 1/8" wedges behind the strut the Idea behind it it to build some left pull into the boat to counter act the right prop walk

Hey Andris, I've built several boats from Garry's plans, and have developed a laser-cut version of the Atlas in 1/20 scale (See: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...od-micro-hydro). The others have correctly addressed the issues of offsetting the driveline to counteract motor torque/propwalk. As for the bevel on the inner sponson edges, I believe he did that as a form of non-trip (and to reduce sponson area). I have built his hulls with and without this and haven't noticed any handling difference between the two. As for the bevel on the sump sides, it's an internal thing on the gluing edges of the sump sides to slope them inward. His drawings and instructions really aren't that clear on this. On my 1/20 kit I opted to have the sump sides vertical in the interest of simplicity.

Note that I did add some triangle stock to the inside edge of the sponsons in Atlas Prototype #2 to allow for beveling of this edge.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dr. Jet; 01-05-2019 at 10:08 AM.
    A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves

Thanks to all for the great information. Regards Andris Golts.