Thread: D-12 1/10 scale FE hydroplane progress

Default D-12 1/10 scale FE hydroplane progress

There has been a lot of posts regarding interest in 1/10 scale FE Hydro in D-12 here on the forum. Thanks Don Ferrette for getting the ball rolling, and doing the ground work on getting the details drafted for a proposed set of rules. I had no idea what a daunting task it is to set things up and get things organized. I have also seen some Facebook traffic and it appears that there are several people in D-12 interested and some are presently in the process of building 1/10 scale boats for the 2019 season as test models. Hers are a couple of pictures of the 1997 PICO American Dream boat that I started a couple of years ago and picked up again in an effort to finish it with hopes of doing some testing along with others in D-12.

If anyone else has any pictures of boats they are working on, I would love to see what you are working on. We may be able to compare notes and work together and help each other out if we are having issues with our builds. Thanks for looking and have a great New Year.

001A.JPG028.JPG042.JPG050.JPGPICO 12 6 18 020.JPG

That looks great! The District 12 1/10th FE scale rule set is completed and ready for submittal at the district meeting sometime in late January (still TBA on date and location). Based on a solid majority preference, for now we will be running the normal clockwise direction (this is why I urged everyone building to put a turn fin backing plate on both sponson heels during builds). From what I have seen and heard so far we may very well come right out of the gate with enough for no less than a full heat and possibly two per round of these baby scales. This is gonna be a blast!!
    Futaba Team Driver
    - IMPBA Hydro Technical Director -

I am going to assume there will be no separation of vintage vs. modern? If not, crossover in to NAMBA events for those with vintage hulls will be nearly impossible. Unless, of course they are built to the NAMBA spec and attempting to race in your district. Just pointing this out to keep boaters informed.

Quote Originally Posted by don ferrette View Post
    That looks great! The District 12 1/10th FE scale rule set is completed and ready for submittal at the district meeting sometime in late January (still TBA on date and location). Based on a solid majority preference, for now we will be running the normal clockwise direction (this is why I urged everyone building to put a turn fin backing plate on both sponson heels during builds). From what I have seen and heard so far we may very well come right out of the gate with enough for no less than a full heat and possibly two per round of these baby scales. This is gonna be a blast!!
    Still waiting on my order for fins/backing plates from Dick...would like to have them before I build...
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12
    My Gallery: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/album.php?u=1738

Quote Originally Posted by HOTWATER View Post
    Still waiting on my order for fins/backing plates from Dick...would like to have them before I build...
    Turn fin and bracket should not keep you from building.
    Futaba Team Driver

Turn fin and bracket should not keep you from building.
    I drill and tap after myself.

That is a beautiful build. Love this class but I'm too lazy, lol...
    Nortavlag Bulc

Speaking of turn fins, does the turn fin in rat350r picture number 3 represent a legal turn fin for a modern boat?
    I didn't realize they could be so large ?
    Have the turn fin rules changed ?
    There is no way a NAMBA legal vintage boat is going to hang with a modern boat with a turn fin like that.
    Maybe I need to reread the rules?
    T.C.

Quote Originally Posted by T.C. View Post
    Speaking of turn fins, does the turn fin in rat350r picture number 3 represent a legal turn fin for a modern boat?
    I didn't realize they could be so large ?
    Have the turn fin rules changed ?
    There is no way a NAMBA legal vintage boat is going to hang with a modern boat with a turn fin like that.
    Maybe I need to reread the rules?
    T.C.
    Not sure about that fin....I do know that Dick Tyndall (with Don Ferrete's input) is planning on making a special size for the 1/10 scale hydros...the size will be between the 20 and 40 size of his current fins...
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12

Here is a picture of the turn fin I plan to start with. This is the Stock replacement turn fin for ProBoat UL-19. The picture of the large turn fin was just a mock up with a left over turn fin I had from a LSG Mono I built. I know the turn fin is a bit of an unknown at this point and I expect it will change as we get some boats in the water and do some testing.

I have a question regarding ready to run weight. I weighed my boat complete with two 2S 6000mAh battery packs and the boat weighed 9Lbs 12 Oz.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by rat350r View Post
    Here is a picture of the turn fin I plan to start with. This is the Stock replacement turn fin for ProBoat UL-19. The picture of the large turn fin was just a mock up with a left over turn fin I had from a LSG Mono I built. I know the turn fin is a bit of an unknown at this point and I expect it will change as we get some boats in the water and do some testing.

I have a question regarding ready to run weight. I weighed my boat complete with two 2S 6000mAh battery packs and the boat weighed 9Lbs 12 Oz.
    That boat turned out SWEET!! Nice job!!
    Futaba Team Driver

Quote Originally Posted by rat350r View Post

Very nice! ; )
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12

Thanks for sending me the link to this build Bruce. It looks excellent! Thanks for your continued support! Mike
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Mine is getting there, just been taking far longer than I had planned............
    PakbuildF.jpg
    Futaba Team Driver

Mine is getting there, just been taking far longer than I had planned............
    PakbuildF.jpg
    Don, what motor are you putting in this?

Quote Originally Posted by meangenesracing View Post
    Don, what motor are you putting in this?
    Dynamite A3630
    Futaba Team Driver