Thread: Getting back in to RC Boating - new outrigger build

Default Getting back in to RC Boating - new outrigger build

Hi Everyone,

Just recently signed up here on OSE and looking to get started in boat racing at a leisure level.
    Back in the early 1990's, My first boat was an airboat that I had built with an .049 engine (not the Dumas Lil Swamp Buggy, but kinda like it). Had a rudder on back. I also owned a Dumas Hotshot 45 ( K&B .67 Outboard) and a Traxxas Villian IV with the Octura prop upgrades on it.

In the past couple of years, my wife and I moved out in a subdivision that has a lake and it has caught my interest to give electric outrigger racing a shot. I had a friend who recent got a twin outrigger and wanted to look at getting into some local pond racing just for the fun of it without spending too much to get started. I cruised around the web to find what might suit me best and found plans for the Predator outrigger hull, which I have the materials from building planes, to complete a couple of these hulls.

Not sure where to start, but I am thinking the hull will end up being around 24-26 inches in length.

For a hull that size, where would you guys recommend starting with on a hull this size? I have 3 and 4S lipos to use. Not sure of the motor/esc combination needed. Was thinking of runnign a .130 flex cable with a 3/6 prop shaft and right-side mounted rudder system. I see where some outrigger guys are running the speedmaster setups. Not sure that would make sense for this kind of boat. Also the prop type and size/pitch.

I am completely open to suggestions here.

As for my hobby background, I have been building planes since I was 10. Have competed in fun-fly and sport pylon racing contests within our local club and the inter-houston area clubs years back so I have extensive building knowledge. I also have completed in RC Helicopter contests both internationally and in the states for about 8 years from 2004 to 2012. Now looking to learn and potentially expand in the boating arena.

Thanks all and look forward to good conversation on the outrigger racing subject.

-Chris

Here is my setup....X441 prop....futaba TELEMETRY TRANSMITTER for driving... Motor is still stock..but esc is seaking 90A marine esc.... Esc is littlebit too small for that upgrade prop... Boat is Traxxas spartan.
    6s lipo

Good boat when you just upgrade boat.

Lähetetty minun COL-L29 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Nice Boat! How do you like the 4PLS?

I should mention, I have a few 6S 1300mah Lipos that could fit the outrigger I am looking to build.

It's very good transmitter, with futaba you can do it settings without power in the model, and driving range its so good.... When you get right settings on to futaba... Now in winter I upgrade rudder, strut and driveshaft.... First when I change to futaba and first driving... 20 seconds and I flip the boat over...

Have nice time with building your model...

In the picture you see thst what happens to stock prop...

JAE 12 fe.jpgJAE 12 -2.jpgJAE12.jpg

If you want an inexpensive rigger try a JAE 12 Nitro. (24") To accommodate electronics I added 1/4 inch to the depth of the tub. $59 kit and with motor esc and hardware I have less than $200 in it, I have used ROAR 36mm car motors and even a 36X60 spec motor on 4S. For 3S I use a 28X58mm inrunner and props are standard 3/16 shaft 38-42mm. I recommend a .150 flex drive as with a liner it fits the JAE 1/4 tube and hardware. You will never break a shaft this way. On 3S I see mid 40's and with the larger motor on 4S low 60's which is a handful. The 3S setup 2900Kv handles very well.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

I recall reading somewhere based on the size and weight of the hull, would determine what KVs to run and if 6S might make a difference with efficiency. On a hull 26-30", you would want a motor with less KV and more cells to get the efficiency. Prop size and blade count also make a difference here too.

BTW..Nice setup Mic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Zip kits Mini Sprint. Follow the directions and you can't go wrong. Relatively cheap and fast. Everything is available straight from Zip except the ESC.
    Bob

Zip kits also sell an outboard style rigger. This is my P rigger boat.

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

ML Boatworks also sells rigger kits. This is my Q Rigger.

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
    Zip kits also sell an outboard style rigger. This is my P rigger boat.

Mark
    That's quite interesting!
    Nortavlag Bulc

The kits a nitro one so you have to figure out how to make it electric. Well I guess I've done that for anyone interested. It's been a handful to get it running right. A friend of mine has one too and he ended up taking the bottom ski off. I did the same and much better. Next was props, it didn't like aggressive props like my 1717. Tried a 1516 3 chopper and boat is running really good now. I'm running a castle 1415 2600kv motor and dinogy lipos. People on shore swear it turns faster than it goes strait:)

Mark

Very cool, thinking outside the box.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I see where some of the "inboard" setups are using a flex shaft type setup what appear to be a brass tube with flex cable inside. I presume these are filled with a type of marine grease?

I also see where you can use a teflon tube with the flexshaft.

Why would one prefer brass over teflon or vice versa?

Sorry for the noob questions. Just tryin to make some sense with the drive system.

Noted on the ML Boatworks hulls. I might consider that route.

Mark, that hydro of yours looks sweet. Whats the top speed?

The preference of teflon liner or no teflon liner is 50 / 50. both set ups require some lubrication to the shafts. yes go for either thw Zippkits 33 rigger or the ML Boatworks rigger.

I did a Predator a few years ago. If you go with one I would recommend a 3650 motor of around 3000-3300kv on 3s with something like a X638. 90A esc is sufficient on a 3s 4000mah batt.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

That is good info Peter. I'll keep those specs in mind as I go along. Thanks!!

Made a set of plans today at the copy shop. Boat length looks like it will be 27" from bow to stern (68.58cm).

Would 3s still be ok for this size or should I push it up to 4s?

They don't have a lot of room inside so you will have to measure it out. On 4s you could go down in capacity for a similar size pack and up on prop size.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    They don't have a lot of room inside so you will have to measure it out. On 4s you could go down in capacity for a similar size pack and up on prop size.
    Would you still suggest a motor with 3000-3300KV and 90amp ESC, or slightly larger?

Up on prop size....like maybe a 642 or 645? or 3 blade 440?

On 4s kv around 2200-2500 kv. As for props, start with 438, 437/3, 442. Test and check temps. go up in small increments depending on what you are wanting to achieve, speed runs or just some fun running around with decent runtime.