Thread: Outboards...

Default Outboards...

OSE Mini Outboard/HK 3000kv vs. HK 650EP 2630kv.....who's had the best success ?

I tried the HK 650EP on a 26" deep vee, it showed promise, but after suffering broken flex shafts, I abandoned that motor, tossed it in the trash. Several others have also had broken shaft problems with the HK 650EP. I would not recommend the HK 650EP outboard, to bad cause I love the scale looks. I have the OSE Mini 3000kv on a old MRP tunnel, so far so good, no broken shafts after one season and several runs all on 2s. I up graded from stock x432 prop to a x632, boat runs 23mph on 2s, I'm happy with that for now, its an old toy not a race boat. (ha ha lol) Maybe next season I'll try a few different props an also see what it will do on 3s. good luck.
    PROBOAT BlackJack 24", ShockWave 26"
    MRP U-31, 3 tunnels VS1, MRP Bud Light, Dumas HS Sprint

I have the OSE mini on a Miss Geico 24....slighty modded on 4s...Scoots right along...and no probs at all...

Thanks JD,
    I agree about the looks......I have two builds with the EP650 EP, but have yet to run either. I have a stockpile of spare shafts. I wonder why the breakage rate is so high? I will buy the Mini 3000kv unit soon after the holidays as a backup. I too will probably learn the hard way. Thanks for your response and Merry Christmas !

...and thank you 30nitro......

Quote Originally Posted by creekrunner View Post
    ...and thank you 30nitro......
    merry christmas..!!

I’ve got the OSE mini on a little kneeler running on 3s, I was really surprised how fast it is. No problems with shafts so far but haven’t run it a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

Very cool..!!!!

Very Nice! ......if you look for pics under my user name..."creekrunner" .....you'll see what I've been up to

Default CNC Outboard

IMG_3497.JPGIMG_3493.JPGHey Guys,
    I know the feeling about breaking flex shafts with the CNC HK Motor. Broke a couple dozen last summer. I'm going to try to find a stronger one but may end up with changing motors. Just love the scale look of the HK CNC one. The tight 90 degree turn and small dia. shaft is a problem. I'm almost done repainting a plain white Dragon Hobby F1 to look like my friend, Wyatt Nelson's boat. Just need 3 graphics printed on prism tape.

IMG_3183.JPGIMG_3240.JPGIMG_3498.JPG
    Last edited by Jeff39; 12-30-2018 at 02:20 PM. Reason: add photo

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff39 View Post
    IMG_3497.JPGIMG_3493.JPGHey Guys,
    I know the feeling about breaking flex shafts with the CNC HK Motor. Broke a couple dozen last summer. I'm going to try to find a stronger one but may end up with changing motors. Just love the scale look of the HK CNC one. The tight 90 degree turn and small dia. shaft is a problem. I'm almost done repainting a plain white Dragon Hobby F1 to look like my friend, Wyatt Nelson's boat. Just need 3 graphics printed on prism tape.

IMG_3183.JPGIMG_3240.JPGIMG_3498.JPG
    I also know what you're sayin about the CNC F1 shafts......some seem to last longer than others though.....if you find a better option...please let us know.....It's such a cool little outboard....

If I do find a solution to extending the life of these shafts or find a stronger replacement I will certainly share the info. I did replace the Teflon shaft sleeve with 3/16" diameter brass. I think it gave me a couple extra runs. I ran the boats in the upper Niagara River on a sand bar about 2 or 3 feet deep. I set up a 3 bouy course so that I could walk out and recover the prop and dog when it let go.

IMG_3212.JPGIMG_3213.JPGIMG_3210.JPG

IMG_3501.JPGIMG_3505.JPG

Jeff.....at what area do the shafts normally break?

Hi Carl,
    The shafts break in the middle.

IMG_3127.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

thanks Jeff......

Mabe case could be modded for less bend in the shaft....??

That reminds me of an old "D-Stock" Hydro my friend had back in the late 60's. He shared a trailer with another guy who ran a "D" runabout or DSR. The boats were named the "Bushwacker" and the "Bounty Hunter".
    Did you scratch build it or is a a kit? At any rate it's pretty cool!