Thread: Christmas came early... CrisCraftmas i should say...

Default Christmas came early... CrisCraftmas i should say...

So... my wife and i opened presents today (hectic work schedules...) and she got me a boat.....LOL well.... 10,000 pieces of boat....

My wife, she was actually my girlfriend at the time, bought me that same kit. I opened up, saw all of those pieces, and put the lid right back on. I hope your's actually gets completed. Such a beautiful boat.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    My wife, she was actually my girlfriend at the time, bought me that same kit. I opened up, saw all of those pieces, and put the lid right back on. I hope your's actually gets completed. Such a beautiful boat.
    Well.... i have not built a boat from sticks.... however i have done sevearl Dumas rubber powered aircrafts, as well as an extensive woodworking background including furniture, a harp, a dulcimer, and several guitars.... i guess you could say i have a better than average chance of making something of it...LOL heres a pic of my current guitar project, that started as an 8' long 4"x3" stick of oak that part of a steel pole barn was shipped on, and another one that i finished about 7 yrs ago....

Last edited by bogieboy; 12-24-2018 at 10:29 AM.

so, after many moons of this sitting on the shelf, (aka since last christmas...LOL) it has finally begun!!!!! got the frames set a few days ago, and just finished skinning the bottom of the boat last night.... still got the sides, and all the top stuff but its out of the box and starting to look like a boat finally...LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like to see guys BUILDING! Looking good!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

And one more shot since i didnt have a pic of the full bottom sheeted...LOL20191221_065707.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    I like to see guys BUILDING! Looking good!
    Thanks Doug, its been too long coming since i got the kit...LOL high time to build it after collecting dust for a year... right now ALL my boats are in a state of not running...LOL my volantex needs a motor, my dumas dv60 is stripped down to a bare hull with the hopes of finally painting it with the metal flake i got 8 months ago, this ones being built, and my 2 old abs boats need running hardware...LOL

So, updates to this thread, sides are planked, and got the top stringers on...

20200202_165955.jpg

Subdecking is officially on... been busy with "essential" job stuff, but found time this afternoon to do some work....

20200404_164139.jpg

@bogieboy, how's the build going? The Runabout is a great kit. I built the 1/8 scale Sterling Models Runabout when I was in college a long time ago. It was the first all wood, '10,000 pieces' kit I built. The most tedious part, but most rewarding, was painting the white lines. Unfortunately the lines have yellowed some over the years but still looks great. And I run mine on a 7.2V NiMh and 540 brushed motor. It looks so good running!
    Keep up the good work! You'll love that kit when it's done and the reward is seeing that beauty on the water!

I got some pictures of my Sterling Models Runabout. The one with the yellow windscreen and incorrect flags was from a video I shot running it for the first time in 20+ years. It ran, just needed some cosmetic work. The high quality photo was after I got it all cleaned up, ordered new flags and gave it a name (the first letter of the names of my 5 kids are in the name and city/state . You can see how the painted white lines have yellowed over time The last one is a clip from another video after I added barbies that my youngest had outgrown. For 1/8 scale, Barbie's friends are almost the right size. Ken and Barbie themselves were way to big (almost 7' tall in scale!). It is such a pretty sight running at the lake!
    Runabout running3.JPGRunabout.jpgRunabout running1.JPG
    Info and pictures about our Invincible Razor build, Lindberg PT Boats; Racing Runabout; Pro Boat Stealthwake and more! Plus videos of our boats including upgrades, repairs, etc.

Beautiful model.
    Those woodies always look great, whether running or just static on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    Beautiful model.
    Those woodies always look great, whether running or just static on the table.
    one of these days i will finish it...LOL kinda got to a stand still as i wanted to level out all the subdecking before applying the veneer, and never got around to doing so...LOL

I know where you are coming from.
    I've got a few boats partially built that I just can't seem to get back to.
    Always other projects that just NEED to be started first.

I'm thinking there should be a "UFO" (Un-Finished Objects) thread on the main forums page for everyone to share their UFOs. Then we can all be there as support for each other :-)

I know where you are coming from.
    Always other projects that just NEED to be started first.
    LOL i seem to have found greater joy in running my 46" Dumas gas boat than putting matchsticks together into a display (primarily) boat...LOL that may explain the 3 plastic model kits sitting under the workbench that 2 of are still wrapped in plastic, and the 3rd only has the body painted, and the directions lost...and all of those i aquired before i got married back in 2014...LOL