Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Black Pearl LSH Spec Hydro 2019

Sanded the excess off the ride pad.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Glued the inside pad.

The 'Ty Davis' sponson is starting to take shape nicely!

Looking Good!!!!
    JOHN A. GROSS
    MILLBROOK, AL
    Crickety Crack Racing Team

Very nice indeed.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Pete, is that nose piece at the leading edge 1" diameter again? I was going to pick up glass tube for that this time.
    glue sniffer

Terry
    I found some of this stuff at my LHS.
    Wing leading edge.
    Hard balsa 1" on the flat, the nose sticks out 11/16".

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

What is your profit margin? Just kidding.

This going to be one good looking boat and I really like the sponson shape. Extra battery space height to boot.

What color are you going to paint it?

Thanks John, Ray!

The nose pc is not 1". I'll have to pull up the model, but I believe it tapers down to 3/8". It is sized exactly to fit the UL-1 nose curvature. Much smaller than the full size P-boat.

Profit margin! ha! Like how far negative? I haven't decided on color yet, but I was leaning towards 'grabber blue'. Might be too close to Ty's team color.

Which is purdy close Petty blue!!

Quote Originally Posted by jaike5 View Post
    Which is purdy close Petty blue!!
    Never even thought of that.
    glue sniffer

Finished the bottom. I began gluing in the spruce sticks for the decking.

Just realized that I closed off the sponsons (no air flow). They are essentially like pontoons. Might argue that it would make great flotation?? But probably not a good idea for mold/mildew, etc... I will need to update the model to allow a passage way between the inside of the sponson and the fuselage. Until then, I'll just dremel it out.

BTW, I completely soaked each spruce stick in West Systems, then wiped off the excess with a cloth and glued them into position. This will ensure that all sides are sealed.

Looks good. Looking forward to seeing the finished boat.

I'm catching you Pete.20190202_215951.jpg
    glue sniffer

Damn, that is close to a rigger! Hope your doing Petty blue, love that colour, couple of STP stickers will really make that blue pop!

No way. This one is mine. He has a Petty blue Stealth that's a tough runner on it's own.
    glue sniffer

Yes his boat is very strong, Ty Has become quit a crafty driver too. Will be fun to watch you two duke it out on the pond this summer. post a pic of the your's rtr with paint or clear.

Ya know what's funny......when Pete and I were compiling data from all the different boats we've raced I discovered an error in Ty's setup. A glitch in the matrix? Now.....do I fix it? Hahaha
    glue sniffer

Noooooooo !! You know the rule , if it ain’t broke don’t fix it!

Mine is faster. The hiccup is why.
    glue sniffer

I see, you know these youngsters have lightning reflexes, and superb eye sight .
    Fastest boat doesn’t always win. Then there is the equilizer.... water conditions. Advantage Ty!!

We're off on a tangent here but we recently found out Ty's vision was/is off. Gets his glasses this week. We're totally screwed.

Pete, I checked that half round at the nose last night. 5/8".....ish. Depends on what you use for skin I suppose. The bottom is 1/16 ply but I'll likely deck 1/32 so I'll sand to fit. Somehow I messed up two stringers. One on each side of the boat. I'll have to get a pic. Not sure how I managed to screwed up exactly the same on each side. Made me go ....hmmmm.

Oh, I also omitted sticks most everywhere. Overkill for an LSH in my opinion. I did add a few strips of mahogany where I know the boats take a beating. Where the tub skin meets frame just behind the nose. More pics needed.

Pretty pleased so far. We'll see how they go soon enough.
    glue sniffer

There are definitely a few bugs that I need to work out. Hence, the reason we build these first boats and validate the design!! I just noticed that I missed a spruce stick slot as well!!

A little more progress on mine...

I sized up some floatation. Also, I'm completely re-thinking the wood motor mount. I completely forgot about the temperature aspect. Heat soaks will probably cause the motor mount screws to loose clamp load, and it's probably not a good idea to have a hot endbell in direct contact with wood anyways. Duh! I will be modifying mine back to the original P-sport style with the aluminum plate.

I'll be ready for deck tomorrow.
    glue sniffer

I have all the skins done and getting ready to deck as well...

However, I just couldn't help myself and I started to glass the seams. It's very thin glass, conforms well to right angles, etc...

Not doing that Pete. Overkill. Especially on an limited boat. Ty's boat doesn't have glassed seems. We'll never get close to that speed with these.
    glue sniffer

Finally finished decking the boat. Looking good!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast