Thread: AquaCraft 60 amp ESC questions

Default AquaCraft 60 amp ESC questions

Hi all. Just getting back into a rebuild of a 95' Cape class Coast Guard cutter, about 36" in length. I have a new AquaCraft 60 amp ESC and an AquaCraft 36-56-2030 kv brushless motor.
    Does anyone have installation/programming instructions for the ESC?
    Also, can a 12v sealed lead/acid battery be used with this ESC?

Quote Originally Posted by mgmgmg75 View Post
    Hi all. Just getting back into a rebuild of a 95' Cape class Coast Guard cutter, about 36" in length. I have a new AquaCraft 60 amp ESC and an AquaCraft 36-56-2030 kv brushless motor.
    Does anyone have installation/programming instructions for the ESC?
    Also, can a 12v sealed lead/acid battery be used with this ESC?
    look up Aqualcraft UL1 or Revolt 30 and read their manuel.
    It may help you with this. I am pretty sure you will need two 2S (7 volt) or one 4S (14 volt) Lipos

The aquacraft need a total of 4s or 12 nimh/nicad to operate. That is over 12volts. It might go into low voltage with the lead acid battery if it will start the motor.

That ESC don't need programming connect the motor wires, plug in the battery and pull reverse then release and it is ready.

Make sure the throttle trim is set to neutral.

Works just fine on the bench. Lead acid batteries should hold their voltage with less drop under load than the much smaller lipos. I'd give it a try.

batt12.jpg

My first & fav scale boat

CG.jpg
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Thanks for the help all. Yes Speed3, I am concerned about the stutter bump voltage, but a fully charged 12 vdc should be around 12.6.. With 2 of them I am hoping to get a decent run time. With all the lead acid batteries I have, it seems a shame to switch to NiMH OR LiPo. I am guessing to change to a different battery type with chargers and all, would be over $300.

I am no expert on pleasure type boats, but an AQ 2030 in a 36" (heavy) boat with a fully submerged prop doesn't seem like a good idea. I would expect a slightly larger motor with a much lower KV would be a safer option.

The other comment I have is about the AQ 60amp controller and the voltage cut off. I seem to remember this controller doesn't have a "hard" value for the voltage cut off. If I remember correctly, the controller somehow calculates a cut off voltage based on the initial input voltage. I am guessing that is a function of needing to arm every time you power up (plug in a battery). Unfortunately, I don't know how or who you could talk to confirm.

good luck

I like reverse on my scales...... don’t forget this esc doesn’t have that.

The set up sequence is easy plug in battery, hold wide open throttle, hear beeps, release throttle, hear more beeps. Done. See page 4

LVC is not fancy, it’s based on 4s and as previously posted it’s about 12v. Maybe a little more I forget....see page 3 of manual

Link to a revolt manual which describes it further http://manuals.hobbico.com/aqu/aqub24-25-manual.pdf

What ESC do you use on your scales?

Mine are old brushed setups using a regular car esc with a cooling fan. Nothing special at all.

I don’t think you will be happy with the low speed control of a brushless motor in a scale. I used the 600 size brushed motor from the Aquacraft fireboat to repower an Atlantic tug on 3s. Tons of power, it will stand up and wheelie lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

I agree with the guys.
    If it were me I'd go with one of these https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...clr-hh-prb2314 and a 6 or 700 size brushed motor. If you are interested and can't find a suitable motor let me know. I still have quite a few new BOSCH (700 size) drill motors that I used in my scale boats. That was all I did before I got the speed bug & I'll get back there one of these days. The BOSCH motors run well with the above control 12v gel cell and 45mm 3 blade scale props.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

That’s what I remember about the SV27 , pull full throttle after plugging in batteries lol
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    --Albert Einstein

I think using the brushless in the scale will present one problem. Over heating due to poor cooling as a result of slow speeds.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll save the brush-less for a speed boat and purchase a different set. The thing is this pair was recommended by a hobby shop in Milwaukee! Attached is a quick pic of the boat in the restoration process. Coast Guard 1.jpg

The aquacraft will have more power and torque than the 600 and 700 brush motors. So from that point of view the hobby shop give a good recommendation.

The aquacraft uses neodymium magnets which can get demagnetize at far lower temperatures than ferrous magnet would. So the long runtimes combined with little to no cooling can damage the magnets of the aquacraft motor. The speed control will get hot too.

The 700 brush motor have ferrite magnets and an internal fan. So the construction of the 700 would make it more suitable in my opinion.

So the motor and esc is more suited for a fast boat.

Yes, the speed is essential for the water pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    I agree with the guys.
    If it were me I'd go with one of these https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...clr-hh-prb2314 and a 6 or 700 size brushed motor. If you are interested and can't find a suitable motor let me know. I still have quite a few new BOSCH (700 size) drill motors that I used in my scale boats. That was all I did before I got the speed bug & I'll get back there one of these days. The BOSCH motors run well with the above control 12v gel cell and 45mm 3 blade scale props.
    I just purchased the last ESC they had in stock, they are now discontinued!

Quote Originally Posted by mgmgmg75 View Post
    I just purchased the last ESC they had in stock, they are now discontinued!
    I'm not surprised. I don't know how many of them I have owned. I think I still have four or more in boats. All of them have been trouble free. Good luck with the restoration!

This thing has two of the Bosch, Proboat set ups in it. I built it around 12 years ago. It now resides in Fla. divrec.jpg
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

I'm not surprised. I don't know how many of them I have owned. I think I still have four or more in boats. All of them have been trouble free. Good luck with the restoration!

This thing has two of the Bosch, Proboat set ups in it. I built it around 12 years ago. It now resides in Fla. divrec.jpg
    Thanks, now all I need is a motor, which I am sure I can find locally. It is tough being a scale boater, 90% of the shops around me sell car or air products and what boat equipment they do sell is for the fast stuff!! Most likely will not be able to do much until mid Jan. Thanks all for the help and I will post again with results. Happy Holidays everyone.

That was/is the ultimate rescue rig :) it was the inspiration for some of mine.

Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

Quote Originally Posted by pescador View Post
    That was/is the ultimate rescue rig :) it was the inspiration for some of mine.

Thanks Brian!

Jim if you can't find something suitable let me know.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

For low speed water cooling I plumbed in a hobby fuel pump to my cooling system and it worked great . My setup was fairly complex , used check valves and made my own circuit that closed at full left turns and a thermal switch for auto turn on/off.. A system like this is simple for your app, you would just turn it on and go ! Whatever direction you go there should be no worries of over heating unless you go really high on motor kvD5044B6F-E010-4FE5-87D7-FE9CF89ADA72.jpg
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    --Albert Einstein