Thread: Does the stuffing tube end at the strut

Default Does the stuffing tube end at the strut

I looked around on the forum and didn’t find an answer to my question, so here it is. I am running a 7/32” stuffing tube in my cat from the motor to the strut. Everything I have read shows the stuffing tube extending into or through the strut. My strut has a pressed bearing that is about an 1-¼” long which the 3/16” drive rotates on. I’m not comfortable with just running the stuffing up to the strut or is this the way it is done for this unit. Yep, I'm confused so I posted a pic that I hope will show my concern...Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by barryaclarke View Post
    I looked around on the forum and didn’t find an answer to my question, so here it is. I am running a 7/32” stuffing tube in my cat from the motor to the strut. Everything I have read shows the stuffing tube extending into or through the strut. My strut has a pressed bearing that is about an 1-¼” long which the 3/16” drive rotates on. I’m not comfortable with just running the stuffing up to the strut or is this the way it is done for this unit. Yep, I'm confused so I posted a pic that I hope will show my concern...Thanks
    Flex shaft is in backwards for 1 thing. Stuffing tube goes through strut

Yep you need to turn the strut 180% , the tapered end of the strut takes the stuffing tube

If you use a speedmaster type bushing, then the stuffing tube I cut short by the thickness of the cable. This allows the bushing to go in the strut all the way when cable compresses under load
    Nortavlag Bulc

you don,t want the floating bushing to be compressed when the shaft is under compression , make sure there is a 5mm gap to allow for this .

Thanks for that. Still a lot to learn...Barry

Thanks for that. Still a lot to learn...Barry
    Barry, find a local club and join lots of people very willing to help.

We're out in the boonies and we don't even have a hobby shop within 40 miles...

The stuffing tube goes into the strut. Slide the tube into the strut and stop before it goes all the way through , in your case slip your stuffing tube until it hit your bushing then back it off that 1/8” or so. If you can knock out that old bushing than I would . If the brass doesn’t want to go in the strut you can thin the brass down with sandpaper. I always fit the stuffing tube on the strut before I bend it , plays the tube in a cordless drill , spin and sandwich the area of brass your trying to thin with your fingers. Grease the brass before you push it into the strut or you may never get it out . Strut should slide on the brass with a slight twisting motion. Here’s my setup, the brass goes all the way in the strut leave room to keep my bushing counter sunk , the bushing comes right out5B9A51AC-EDE0-4968-B0DA-643C60D88295.jpg
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    --Albert Einstein

The brass needs to be secure in the strut otherwise the stuffing tube will flex and your drive system will fail
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    --Albert Einstein

Why would a brass tube flex unless it's been softened with heat?
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Hi Ray , I was referring to the brass floating in front of the strut instead of it being supported by the strut
    --Albert Einstein

We're out in the boonies and we don't even have a hobby shop within 40 miles...
    No problem bud I got ur back
    --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Ray there are exceptions to having the tube not go into the strut of course, I was assuming this guy is working on a cat that has no stuffing tube support other than where it comes out of the hull . Later, Randy
    --Albert Einstein

Randy, this is correct and I thank you again for you support and replies...Barry