Thread: One motor vs. two motors

Default One motor vs. two motors

There are realy no arguments against a twin setup ?.

None in this thread....

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Twice the cost......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Twice the weight......

Its boring... The boat most likely runs perfect the first time you run it..

I dont know about the weight and cost.
    A TP 5870 cost 296 Eu and weigh 1274 G
    2xTP 4070 cost 270 Eu and weigh 1250 G
    And aprox. the same power.

My theory always was that you could run two lesser motors to attain the same task as one big motor. Or more in my case these days, you can run two of the same motor and turn bigger props than you could with the one motor

I imagine a 45-50 inch mono with a tp 5850-70 and 10-12s 1p(2p) 5-8000 mAh..A twin setup with that would be impossible ?.I think you very easily run into "weight-problems" if you try to get more watts out of a twin setup compared to a "Max" single setup.

Well this is a 40” mono with twin TP 4030’s on 8s 44-4800mah 2p. It’s not really fast but I can get 9-10 mins runtime with 442’s.
    https://youtu.be/K0opr_YDtI0

I don’t see why something bigger wouldn’t be possible with twin 4050 or 4060’s

I was told (years ago), by a mercury tech that a single 300 hp outboard can outperform a pair of 200 hp outboards on an an equal boat. I don't know how true this is but it does lose the effect of counter rotation.

According to this video 2x150 hp outperforms 1x300 hp. Even if the setup would be around 400 pounds heavier.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG_-YmGN8SY
    Single: 49,1 mph
    Twin: 50,5 mph
    0-30 mph
    Single: 5,87 sec
    Twin: 5,03 sec.

43” Aeromarine Conquest quad drive , 4 1515’s , 4 T180’s , 4s 4p 20,000mah , 447 left and right props. 17 lbs RTR on 4s, 22 lbs on 6s with 20,000mah.... way more efficient than a large single engine and at the time I built this boat the 4 separate power systems was less money than 10,000 watt single prop setup . The quad was a incredible fun runner to say the least . Running on 4s in this video with half finished 447’s. Much cooler that a single IMHO

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    I was told (years ago), by a mercury tech that a single 300 hp outboard can outperform a pair of 200 hp outboards on an an equal boat. I don't know how true this is but it does lose the effect of counter rotation.
    Singles outperform threw the turns , that’s it
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBryant View Post
    Twice the cost......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not always
    --Albert Einstein

Hi. Fun boat project with 4 engines.. Im not sure if a single outperforms a twin in turns. In a cat. Yes. in a mono . Yes. If you have outward rotating props. With inward rotating props there might not be any significant difference.. But never tried inward rotation so I do not know.

Quote Originally Posted by rearwheelin View Post
    43” Aeromarine Conquest quad drive , 4 1515’s , 4 T180’s , 4s 4p 20,000mah , 447 left and right props. 17 lbs RTR on 4s, 22 lbs on 6s with 20,000mah.... way more efficient than a large single engine and at the time I built this boat the 4 separate power systems was less money than 10,000 watt single prop setup . The quad was a incredible fun runner to say the least . Running on 4s in this video with half finished 447’s. Much cooler that a single IMHO

Kudos to this. I recall you embarking on this build but don’t recall it finished. Nice. Making me want to build a triple mono, haha.

I saw it run at the SAW's It was a rocket close to 100MPH if I remember right.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Quote Originally Posted by RandyatBBY View Post
    I saw it run at the SAW's It was a rocket close to 100MPH if I remember right.
    If you or MarkF spent some testing time with that boat and if it ran proper Lipo’s that day I’m sure it would have toyed with 100 mph !
    --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Nevs View Post
    Hi. Fun boat project with 4 engines.. Im not sure if a single outperforms a twin in turns. In a cat. Yes. in a mono . Yes. If you have outward rotating props. With inward rotating props there might not be any significant difference.. But never tried inward rotation so I do not know.
    I tried all the rotations. Each drive cable was the same length for the purpose of testing rotations easily. Even tried thrust vectoring. Had a lot of fun with it for sure.
    --Albert Einstein

4 esc’s = 720 amps continuous, 1440 amp burst rate with the original T180’s.. 4 2500 watt motors = 17 hp ... that boat could toy with other boats . I was almost embarrassed to bring it around guys who actually understand the science of FE . I always burned up my large single setups so that’s what motivated me to build the quad . I believe the 4 T180’s was overkill and think 4 120 amp esc’s would be perfect for a 4s quad setup.
    --Albert Einstein

Think it’s best to parallel the battery inputs to the esc’s because in the turns the inside prop pulls more amps and will discharge the batteries unevenly when everything is separate
    --Albert Einstein

"Nice. Making me want to build a triple mono, haha."..

Would be hard to do in a deep V. Lets say you used 3x46 mm props. Then the center of the inner / outer props would be about 46 mm from the middle of the boat. Or the same distance you would need between 2x 92 mm props. so it would probably work as a "single+ 2 air props" when running a straight line.
    Maybe doable wit 3x outboards or 3x struts with the flex running under the boat for the inner / outer props.

I’d never even attempt a RC Twin mono but if I had money too burn I wouldn’t mind a real one lol
    --Albert Einstein