Thread: Seaking 180 V3

Default Seaking 180 V3

So.....exactly how “water proof” are these ESC’s? I have a couple that are going on a twin tunnel project and it would make my life a thousand times easier if I could run them in an open top box area that’s not sealed off.

Anyone run these out in the open? They say water proof, and appear to be relatively well sealed....but.

Opinions?

I'ved used the 180's in a few boats. All of which had been under water in accidents for significant amounts of time and the ESC's have never had any issues. I also run the 60amp seaking on a cajon commander and it has had no water issues.

These are really sealed up and work well.

I've actually had a boat with a SK180A V3 esc in it that was involved in a blow over and after awhile the boat was fully submerged under water and only the bow was visible thanks to pool noodles stuffed in that area. I finally retrieved the boat and I emptied the water out and since all my electronics were waterproof or have been waterproofed I ran the boat right away never drying the interior of the hull and the boat ran great. I've always been curious how waterproof these IP67 rated SK180A V3 ESCs were because I have them in many of my boats so I did an experiment and was willing to take a loss if the experiment failed. I had a SK180 V3 that have been wet many times and even submerged under water at times and I decided to put it in a small container filled with water and timed it for a good 5min and immediately used it and it worked great without any issues. I just hope all SK180A V3 are indeed IP67 rated and this particular SK180 V3 was just exceptionally lucky. But, now I'm not so much worried if any of my SK180A V3 or SK120A V3 ESCs ever gets wet or possibly submerged in water for a short period of time. But OSE strongly advices not for use under water. However, for your intentions in a tunnel I think you should be fine.
    Last edited by Bp9145; 12-09-2018 at 02:18 AM. Reason: spelling correction

Probably wouldn’t hurt to seal off anywhere that it looks like water could penetrate over time.
    This stuff is great.
    MG Chemicals Silicone Modified Conformal Coating, 55 ml Bottle with Brush Cap https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008O9YIV6..._.FvdCbZ9B7P75
    I think your bigger issue is finding two sk180 esc that perform the same in a twin setup. I’ve been very disappointed in the v3 and have had to go external bec and disabled the lvc in order to keep them running consistently.
    white geico w/2200kv 3674 leopard 53.5mph 4s2p, geico w/ 1800kv outrunner 52mph on 4s2p, genesis w/2200kv castle 53.8 on 4s2p, impulse 31 w/2200kv castle, stock p1 and ul-1