Thread: Electric twin motors for a Central rc marine 51" Victory cat

Default Electric twin motors for a Central rc marine 51" Victory cat

Can anyone suggest what size motors to go with for a twin set-up. I am currently running a TP 5670 720 kv 5y on 12s. I have the flier model 400a 90v red waterproof esc. I would like to go with two motors and use one esc so I need to keep my amps right at 400 for both motors. This esc is supposed to have a 500a max rating, Is there any way to accomplish this for that hull? I would like to still use 12s, so 1 6s pack per motor.
    Thanks,

Glen

You cannot use 1 esc for 2 motors. For 6s use TP 4070 1520KV ABC 2217 props and swordfish 200a escs.

Mark

Mark,This esc has six motor wires and 4 power wires, if it can't be used that way is that only because of the capacity?

Those are rare to see. My motor selection still stands though.That's what I run in my 6s rigger that does high 80s.

Mark

Hey Mark! What size hull are you pushing with that set up?

38" rigger. Your 51" cat will do very well with my setup. Twin motor setup that is.

Mark

Just a remark. 6s. is not the best choise. Your lipos will probably have a hard time. So 60C or preferably more would be a good idea....

I have giant power kitty sticks, they are 70c to 140c 6s 6000mah x4, that's two 3s per pack.

The setup I posted is very easy on the equipment. Nothing gets past warm in my boat. A twin will be even easier.

Mark

Should motor timing monitor be on or off in esc?

Assuming you are not trying to run a class legal set-up, you can run 12S1P and feed both ESC's with the single battery using the same motors. Just prop accordingly.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Hey Tyler, Thanks! If you saw in my previous post I have a Flier ESC That has six motor wires and 4 battery wires. Can that be for two motors or is it just for high amp setup. I also was wondering if the timing monitor should be on or off in the ESC?

Those double ESC's are just two singles placed back to back. They should be connected to two motors individually. You should not try to operate the double ESC connected to a single motor.
    you can run both off a single battery if the amp draw on the battery is reasonable.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

Ok, I am running a TP 5670 720kv 5Y with that esc. So I should only run off one half of it for 12s or should I get a different esc. My plan is to run two TP 4070s w/6s on each motor and stick with that same setup.

thumbnail.jpg 1.jpgVictory Cat.jpgHere is my setup, seems to be running just fine with single motor.

Flier did make some double ESC controllers, that were two separate ESC's just stuck together. They functioned 100% independently.
    Flier also made some ESC's that were two power stages combined with a single control board. It looked almost identical except it was missing a second control board.
    I suspect you might have a twin power stage with twin wires, but only a single processor. Hence the reason it works well with a single motor.
    The really high voltage input and current rating makes me think it is a single ESC. In which case you can only run a single motor with this controller.

Sorry for the confusion. Flier produced a lot of variations of ESC's in the last 8 years.

If you want to run twin 4070's on 6S, get two identical ESC's like the Swordfish 300/220/200X
    https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...d=hef-HBX1220L

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...d=hef-HBX1200L

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...d=hef-HBX1300L
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

Ok, So of I were to stay with single set up on 12s, what would be an upgrade for motor selection?

Up to you. If it runs consistently no need to change.
    The Flier ESC's are not known for their durability or consistency. I would not push it too hard as they tend to burn up catastrophically.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

Thanks for your time Tyler!