Thread: What Next?

Default What Next?

Just looking for a bit of advice. I am based in the UK and took part in a very low key club class race as my first foray into boat racing. Having enjoyed it so much I would like to race something a bit quicker.
    My question is a fairly simple one I think.
    What class do you guys recommend as something that is quick, popular and able to be raced a t a few venues in the UK.
    I am not afraid of speed as I have competed successfully in F5d Electric Pylon Racing where the speeds reach close to 200mph so as far as speed is concerned I am confident that my reflexes will be up to the task.
    Mini Eco is something that I have looked at but would need to have a set up recommended to me as I am very much in the dark with respect to setup.
    Thank you for any help that you guys might offer me.

Have a word with NativePaul on this forum, he is UK based & races in the UK. He is very experienced on classes raced in the UK & can advise on various given set ups to those less experienced.

Thank you, I have pm'd him.

Hi Speedflyer, currently the submerged drive classes are not being raced in the UK, there is some talk about eco expert coming back, but I dont see mini eco being raced any time soon so I would avoid that one.

Where do you live? There are 2 FE race series in the UK, Electra in the south and Northern Ampdraggers in the north. Electra travel around racing at Egham Surrey, Althorne Essex and Reading Berkshire. All the NADs races are at Bridlington E Yorkshire.

My usual recomendation for a newcomer is a Tenshock Mini Mono RTR it makes things easy as it is an RTR and the only one that is truly competitive at a high level (like F5d most of the top level hulls are built in european garages by people/ companies 95% of boaters have never heard of) and being a mini it is one of the cheaper classes, but Mini Mono is also our slowest class, speeds are around 30mph. Little boats are thrown around a lot buy the same size waves so the mini classes can be the most chalenging to drive despite their lower speed, I love them personally, but it may not be for someone used to 200mph planes.

We seperate our classes into 2 types of boats, there are Monos, which are comprised of a single hull and look fairly similar to many full size boats, and there are Hydros which are gennerally a long thin fuselage with a pair of sponsons on booms at the front, Hydros are faster and turn harder, but dont look as realistic, dont fare as well in extremely rough condition. Typically a mono is about a second a lap or 10% slower that its equivalent Hydro.

The two boat types are further split into 3 power classes there is Mini Mono and Mini Hydro which are a maximum of 450mm long hulls powered by small 2s/3s batteries. Mono1 and Hydro1 are full size 2s/3s classes. Mono2 and Hydro2 are full size 4s-6s classes. The 1 classes lap times are not far off the 2 classes, but the 2 boats have a higher top speed and are harder and much more exciting to drive.
    Electra Elmbridge 01-07-'12 292.jpgIMG_8552.jpg
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.