Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1/10 scale motor options... so now what?

Quote Originally Posted by don ferrette View Post
    Just trying to find a good and simple path my brutha, you know I value your input no matter what.
    I know my friend.
    I was actually posting for the guys that are reading and may not know that there is a difference. It's out there, I'm done for now.
    Someone recently said "I got 99 problems, model boating ain't one of them." That's where I am.

Have a good weekend fellas!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

This is part of what Mike posted the other day-

ProMarine RTR’s SSS (w/3656) is under 57mm
    The Aquacraft motors are under 57mm
    The old proboat motors are under 57mm (don’t include the bearing protrusion)
    The new proboat motors (UL-19 and Veles) are under 57mm
    NEU 1412’s are under 57mm
    TP Power 3630’s are under 58mm
    HET Typhoon’s are under 58mm
    Lepoards are over 60 – but don’t perform
    OSE Raiders are right at the 60mm limit so depending on the allowance may or may not be legal. Secondly, (no offense to Steven or OSE) but they are not the first choice of racers. In fairness I have never ran one, but that has been communicated to me indirectly and based on my own observations.
    Turnigy – don’t know the exact length, but it’s weak based on comments on OSE

I keep finding myself gravitating back to it and thinking really hard on it. With that being said I reached out to Doug to see if his D13 folks would consider a mere 2mm bump in length (from 56.5 to 58.5mm) With that we pick up the very affordable SSS, HET and TP motors for more options. And if we go with the 36.5 x 58.5mm (the .5mm is just a "fudge factor" for measuring) then we could have two neighboring districts with the same rules and no list. OMG!! What are we doing??? Fire and brimstone!! Cats and dogs sleeping together!!

Seriously though this could be a start. Maybe... just maybe we can see a migration toward some common ground.
    Last edited by don ferrette; 12-08-2018 at 11:48 AM.
    Futaba Team Driver
    - IMPBA Hydro Technical Director -

Ds 12 & 13 have been on the same page since 2010 and the P Shootout. Chili & I worked together to keep us going a similar direction.

The district membership makes any rule/class changes at our annual meeting. The racers rule the roost, what the majority wants they get. I don't even vote as to make it clear that I don't interfere with that. I simply make sure they have a place & time to be heard.

The District is set for the 2019 season. Any changes will be made in Nov. 2019.
    I'll be watching to see what you guys are doing, and how it works out. Thanks for keeping us in mind.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    Ds 12 & 13 have been on the same page since 2010 and the P Shootout. Chili & I worked together to keep us going a similar direction.

The district membership makes any rule/class changes at our annual meeting. The racers rule the roost, what the majority wants they get. I don't even vote as to make it clear that I don't interfere with that. I simply make sure they have a place & time to be heard.

The District is set for the 2019 season. Any changes will be made in Nov. 2019.
    I'll be watching to see what you guys are doing, and how it works out. Thanks for keeping us in mind.
    Wish I would have found out sooner about the motors being discontinued and got this moving before your meeting, looks like I was a couple weeks too late. All good my friend as we can still plant the seeds of progress and see where we are during the 2019 season.
    Futaba Team Driver

Yes sir..
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

There was a reason why the pro boat 1500 work so well because of the KV. Big boats like big props.I’m not sure the pro boat 2000 would work in 34+” boat. This is something that needs to be tested. My 8255 runs a 2” prop.

Plus I think you’re gonna need a six poll motor. Technically you’re have a year to figure it out

While I could spend time and a good number of keystrokes disproving the "big boats like big props" analogy let's just agree to disagree.

But to stay on point I forgot that NAMBA D19 is voting on this today-
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...947#post728947
    If they pass this it sounds like it will head right up the line for consideration nationally so I'm gonna watch for the results of the D19 vote.
    Futaba Team Driver

I have been watching these discussions on 'spec' motors for some time. While we do not have classes as such here in NZ, I have a peaking interest in 1/10 scale and one or two others have shown a mild interest. Any which way it seems to be a hard road to get a full class of anything, or even a class of anything that doesn't burn fossils round here.

Anyways, just to throw a thought out there. What if instead of limiting the motor, there was a limit on the fuel? From what I understand you guys run a 10000 mah limit for bats. If you reduced that to 5000mah then it would not matter what motor was used, there would be a limited amount of watt/hours to be used - a restricted amount of fuel. It would change the way you set up boats as you would have to get the best use of what is in the tank for speed and runtime. Ultimately it has an immediate effect of levelling the playing field and keeping the budgets reasonable.

Just a thort!
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

This is part of what Mike posted the other day-
    OSE Raiders are right at the 60mm limit so depending on the allowance may or may not be legal. Secondly, (no offense to Steven or OSE) but they are not the first choice of racers. In fairness I have never ran one, but that has been communicated to me indirectly and based on my own observations.
    Hi Don, I like these ongoing constructive discussions.
    Just for additional information, I have only really used that Turnigy motor
    at 1 race...the 2017 Michigan Cup, I won LSH with it. I would agreed that
    they will smoke if over propped, but it was pretty fast. I switched to the
    Pro-Boat 2000 this year, similar speed, just a bit more durable. Some of
    us had been hoping that due to the approximate $45 price that it would
    survive the length changes. Actually that motor was the only issue to me
    that made some of us question the 37 x 60mm rule change as it measures
    approximately 60.24mm.
    Just information, I will keep reading as what I
    think is good positive debate continues.
    Thx, Ken
    TenShock Brushless / Pro Marine
    NEU Motors / Rico Racing/ Castle Creations
    2023 NAMBA & 2018 IMPBA FE High Points "National Champion"

While I could spend time and a good number of keystrokes disproving the "big boats like big props" analogy let's just agree to disagree.

But to stay on point I forgot that NAMBA D19 is voting on this today-
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...947#post728947
    If they pass this it sounds like it will head right up the line for consideration nationally so I'm gonna watch for the results of the D19 vote.

It passed. I'm ready to research some " motor upgrades" in the spirit of No More AS MANUFACTURED stipulation. First must dress properly before motor mod testing...

suit2.jpg
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

What does everyone think of some kind of "must be in a can" verbiage?

I think Greg was spying on our meeting over the weekend. I said the same thing about scales and bigger blades. Probably not fair to say "all" scales like the larger blades but most of the boats on our pond seem to. Dan's Pay n' Pak can run any blade but it's a rigger. Legal but still a rigger. Don't think SAW Don. These tend to be lumbering hogs in the turns. The fat blade seems to get them back out of the turn a little better. Again, not all of them. 6 poles are yer friend.

We talked about a number of things at our meeting Saturday. Totally informally though. We were primarily there to enjoy each others company. Did that gobs. Is 9 hours too long to stay at a bar?........anywho. We talked a bit about the lengths. Didn't vote on anything. It's just not that important in truth. We'll probably ask the club to approve 60mm instead of 62 for 2019. If at some point IMPBA has a trial set that's different we'll comply with that if it's different. Any major events we should happen to host would need to include any such limitation on the flier. Much like we did for the 2018 nats. We submitted a bid to IMPBA to host that include our desired format and any deviations from the book.

Some of us dig traveling to share the joy. If yer gonna go to Rome.........better find out what the Romans er' doing before you go. If we're heading out to race, it's incumbent on us to make sure our boats comply with our hosts rule set. Atlanta having a shorter limit than us would impact the half dozen of us willing to travel. That's okay for now I think. Every area has the freedom to define it's rules even if there is an official IMPBA rule set. Pretty sure NAMBA works the same way. How else would they have trialed the set they are planning to propose. To do that, they have to ignore the rule book and race what they plan to propose. This sounds familiar.............hmmm. Don't get me wrong, I would prefer a standard but I still need to check if I'm planning to play with others.
    Noisy person

It did pass with the amnendment that any bearing protrusion be included in dimension..now off to the BOD for approval

I agree that we would always be chasing our tails with motor lists simply because we don't control enough clout in the industry to make a difference in manufacturing. I like this discussion about letting motor size limitations dictate our selections. It's simple and liberating. It would then be up to us to find out how reliable different motors are and to let the cream rise to the top, so to speak. Reliability may depend as much on quality of choices as it does on equipment used. I like that we have to work to find the right prop/motor/boat combo and do the little things that make them go faster in competition, but embrace compromise to keep them from melting down. It's just like the real boats, right? Run too close to the screws and you eventually pay the price. I like where this looks to be going and am interested to see feedback on how 2019 goes for those districts trying out this new rule set in 1:10 scale. Question: Has anyone asked whether outrunner motors are considered in the rule? They would certainly open up your motor selection exponentially. Our club has run them exclusively in one class and along side inrunner motors in our other two classes of 1:10 scale with good, competitive results. Number crunchers would need to decide whether the same dimensions would apply to all motors or if outrunners would have to have their own range of size limits for some reason. I like the idea of addressing both types of motors while we're looking at what could lead to a significant change in how we look at motor selection for this and other classes of racing for area clubs, NAMBA or IMPBA. This is the most open-minded discussion I've seen, toward finding a long term solution to this ongoing problem. It's safe to say that most of us are fed up with trying to establish and maintain viable motor lists. Nothing's going to be perfect, but we might at least be able to come up with something frustrating for old and new racers to figure out so we're not left out in the cold at the whim of a few manufacturers every year or two. I'd certainly support dimension limitations even if it came with other specs if needed (watts or whatever). FREEDOM!! (Sorry, I had a little Braveheart moment there.) Let's keep the discussion going, thanks.
    Mitch Dillard
    1:10 Scale Hydroplane Enthusiast
    hydroscalecreations.us, email:hydroscale@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
    Using watts to compare motors isn’t telling the whole story and I would argue it gives you a false positive of its capabilities. You really need to know the voltage and current being used to establish the watts value; or vise verse, if you want to estimate current limits. I only make this comment in caution because ALL of these motors are being pushed beyond their rated capacities.

16.0 volts X 95amp (average) = 1520 watts  for perspective the NEU 1515 is rated at 1250 continuous watts. However, the same questions need to be applied to the NEU ratings.

The only reason I question 60mm as a limit and not a shorter limit is the mythical beast we think fits in the 60mm range but not 58mm. Sure 60mm give us more options, but are they QUALITY options. There are SEVERAL posts about motors that simply don’t cut the mustard when compared to the 56mm motors that started all of this (turnigy, leopard come to mind). Also the longer you leave the limit the more room for innovation (we thought 62mm was OK).

I know many of you hold up burnt up motors/controllers as a badge of honor, I don’t subscribe to that mentality. If I am ever engaged by newer boater whether it be a cross over boater or a new boater, I am going tell him what BRAND and KV works for me or one that I know is a quality motor. I am not going to tell him 36X60 “go nuts” That way when he comes back and tells me the motor burnt up in 2min of runtime, I have already eliminated the motor as being the root cause. I am going to immediately look elsewhere.

It seems to be a forgone conclusion that we NEED to keep lengthening our limit; why not make the limit shorter? Easy, "perception" - long is better/faster.

SSS $65, nice 6 pole unit.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I think it makes sense to make sure a new size limit is not smaller than the current motors included in the current rule. Sure, the fact that most are out of production is a problem but it keeps you from eliminating the motor sizes that have been the basis of the class and are still being run in boats out there. The supply of those motors will eventually dry up, but they do work for now and you don't have to reinvent the wheel to make a new rule. Why not be inclusive of what's already there? Maybe just take the biggest dimensions of what we have now and not go any larger? Good or bad, the motors do work if we run them in a way that keeps them alive. If anything, it not only keeps it affordable, but limits what we do when we run them. It doesn't have to be a great motor to perform well enough to allow for good racing. If we all have to be conservative, in some ways it may level the playing field over time and make the racing even better. Guys will have to learn the capabilities of their equipment for the boat they have, build or buy better boats and prop wisely for efficiency. It'll all work out in the end. Folks will discover ways to make to get the most out of what they have. Different motor reputations will come and go like they always have and guys will have their favorites like they always have. At the very least, it sounds like a good place to start and see what happens. Simple, inexpensive, challenging and competitive. Some of the most popular classes start with that. It class doesn't need to be faster. It needs to be better and more accessible for everyone. I think that's why LSH was so popular and IMO, the 1:10 scale boats are much cooler to see on the water than those. I think the motor rules in "spec" classes have been the most frustrating to deal with on the national level, so much so that many clubs choose to make their own rules and not have sanctioned events because they have found a way to make it work well locally. There isn't much benefit, other than insurance, to putting up with this sort of frustration if you don't have to. Ideally it would be nice to look at the motor rules that all organized 1:10 racers use and see what they have in common, instead of how they differ. I don't imagine that anyone is doing anything completely unreasonable or very different when it comes to performance in this class. Maybe that would help decide parameters to look at. Perhaps start a new thread where all clubs can let us know what motors they are currently allowing in 1:10 scale along with what they've seen comparably in their club's competition. See what we have out there for sizes and specs and observations. Someone who knows about numbers could compile the info about each motor and start a comparison and see what they have in common that we might be able to consider when trying to set reasonable specs for a motor in this class. I know from this thread that there are people with knowledge to compare specs and look for common ground, no matter what type of motors you compare. It's just an idea, but I think it has merit. Any takers? We could start with a list of clubs that race 1:10 and seeing if we can reach folks from each of them. As far as I know, in WA we have Classic Thunder, ERCU, PSFE and RCU that race 1:10 scale electrics. It would be easy enough to get a hold of folks in those clubs for information and a list of motors the members are allowed to run.
    Mitch Dillard

That's all been done Mitch.

Darin did some testing on various motors to compare them to each other. Great stuff. Then Mike Ball collected a database of motors and their dimensions. More great stuff. We "should" have enough data to make an educated best guess but as is always the case..............no consensus. It's a weird FE thing. Many FE guys want to be right more than they want to compromise. They'll fabricate some crazy scenario to discredit ideas rather than find a workable solve. "What if? What about? This could happen. That could happen. I can......errrr..... somebody can...... get around the rule this way/that way". It's truly maddening.

The old limited rules and even the tighter tenth scale rules for motors wasn't great. It was a flawed un-techable compromise from inception. BUT!.......it got us on the water. The rules held up and put more boats on the water than any other power range for 9 or so years. If someone hadn't finally just run with the idea at some point we never would have had the classes in any of the books. If Newland had waited around for the nay sayers and malcontents to agree we would still be running brushed 700 motors.

We're right there again. Both organizations. 57,58,59,60mm? Don't know. I do have an opinion. Seems we all do. Length is the only real question at this point. It's time to trust someone's gut. At some point we're going to have to roll the dice and hope that our educated guess is enough for maybe another 9 or 10 years.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    That's all been done Mitch.

Darin did some testing on various motors to compare them to each other. Great stuff. Then Mike Ball collected a database of motors and their dimensions. More great stuff. We "should" have enough data to make an educated best guess but as is always the case..............no consensus. It's a weird FE thing. Many FE guys want to be right more than they want to compromise. They'll fabricate some crazy scenario to discredit ideas rather than find a workable solve. "What if? What about? This could happen. That could happen. I can......errrr..... somebody can...... get around the rule this way/that way". It's truly maddening.

The old limited rules and even the tighter tenth scale rules for motors wasn't great. It was a flawed un-techable compromise from inception. BUT!.......it got us on the water. The rules held up and put more boats on the water than any other power range for 9 or so years. If someone hadn't finally just run with the idea at some point we never would have had the classes in any of the books. If Newland had waited around for the nay sayers and malcontents to agree we would still be running brushed 700 motors.

We're right there again. Both organizations. 57,58,59,60mm? Don't know. I do have an opinion. Seems we all do. Length is the only real question at this point. It's time to trust someone's gut. At some point we're going to have to roll the dice and hope that our educated guess is enough for maybe another 9 or 10 years.
    Great post my friend and as I mentioned in a previous post I'm trying, really am!! And you're right there seems to be a few looking for that perfect answer, that silver bullet......... well there's isn't one. Like you said we need to do a gut check and roll the dice!! With that being said I plan to complete the 1/10th scale rules for district 12's 2019 season this weekend and get them to the DD for our upcoming meeting. As part of that I am also going to mirror our district P limited motor specs to be the same, this was actually suggested/requested by a couple district members. So with that being said the motor limits I am looking at are as follows-

maximum motor can length including any bearing protrusions 60mm, maximum motor can diameter 37mm.

Two things came into play that made me go to the 60mm mark, the NAMBA D19 vote that is now going to go up the chain to their BOD and this quote from Terry way back on post #9-

"The Neu 1412/2.5d is only 55mm depending on what can it was stuffed into. So you can race gold can AQ's and the Neu and that's it? You pick up 17 motors off of Mikes chart between 56.5 and 60 mm. Most of them less expensive than the 1412."

This is the 48th post on the 1/10th scale motor options, time to pull the pin and roll..................
    Last edited by don ferrette; 12-14-2018 at 08:11 PM.
    Futaba Team Driver

Don, more like 4800th post on motor options. This is just the first thread regarding 10th motors.

Turn left Don. For the love of all things holy.........do it like everyone else is already doing it. Don't be afraid of the unknown or the unfamiliar. That's how we got 4800 posts on spec motors.
    Noisy person

Going to just say this one thing... All of the previously "approved" motors were 6-Pole motors.

Very few, if ANY, of the "possibility" motors out there in the 36mm diameters are 6-Pole. Most are 4 or 2. A 56.5mm 6-Pole is CONSIDERABLY more capable than a similar length 4-Pole, or 2-Pole.

Testing the motors head-to-head on the bench proves this point.

That said, whatever dimensional limits you agree on are better than ANY "motor-list" based rule. Everything will sort itself out from there. The "P-LTD" classes could use a "slow-down" anyhow.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Great post my friend and as I mentioned in a previous post I'm trying, really am!! And you're right there seems to be a few looking for that perfect answer, that silver bullet......... well there's isn't one. Like you said we need to do a gut check and roll the dice!! With that being said I plan to complete the 1/10th scale rules for district 12's 2019 season this weekend and get them to the DD for our upcoming meeting. As part of that I am also going to mirror our district P limited motor specs to be the same, this was actually suggested/requested by a couple district members. So with that being said the motor limits I am looking at are as follows-

maximum motor can length excluding any bearing protrusion 60mm maximum motor can diameter 37mm.

Two things came into play that made me go to the 60mm mark, the NAMBA D19 vote that is now going to go up the chain to their BOD and this quote from Terry way back on post #9-

"The Neu 1412/2.5d is only 55mm depending on what can it was stuffed into. So you can race gold can AQ's and the Neu and that's it? You pick up 17 motors off of Mikes chart between 56.5 and 60 mm. Most of them less expensive than the 1412."

This is the 48th post on the motor options, time to pull the pin and roll..................
    The length includes any bearing extrusion.. not excludes it

I agree with what Darin and T.S. are saying. I've read all of the tests and the many threads on this issue over the years. Folks make their own club rules because it's too difficult to get racers to agree on anything. Racers have too many issues around competition and egos to be expected deal with this sort of thing. Folks who just want to go racing and "get the boats on the water" don't have that kind of patience. I know I don't. It's so much easier to make adjustments when you have a smaller group in charge of the decisions. It's insane to think that there is any completely right or wrong decision here, but it seems that the inmates are running the asylum. For the sake of the classes out there, wouldn't we be better served to leave the final decisions up to a governing committee instead? The general membership has identified a problem and at least a general idea on how to address it. Folks were voted in to various NAMBA positions. Can we not leave it up to a group of officials to make an educated decision for a class for the sake of the class itself? Roll the dice and put boats on the water. It sounds like the conservative approach might be a good place to start and stay close to what the class has already. We can live with what is decided or we can ask for adjustments in the future. It will work itself out on the water. I suppose now we'd have to come up with a proposal to change how decisions are made on the national level. Like Darin said, whatever motor decision is made, it's better than any list based rule. They're just too hard to maintain and adjust to on a national level. I have loved racing with the club I'm in for 25 years now. We've only ever raced 1:10 scale. We have three classes with different motor rules for each. The club is still growing in numbers and is still has fantastic racing IMO. We've had ups and downs with rule changes, but the process is what keeps things going. We submit proposals each off season. They get reviewed by a committee of officials who we voted on and trust to put the club's best interest in mind (supported by a set of club bylaws) when making decisions on what makes it to a ballot and what does not. We gave them that authority because once the club got to be larger, the old method of having everyone vote on everything proposed just wasn't working well for the club. I don't know if a nationally sanctioned class can really reach its full potential as far as national events and multi district participation take place without changing the way decisions are made. I know that it would be difficult to sell the idea of having our club participate solely under NAMBA rules for our classes at this point, but I think it would certainly be a step in the right direction for many of the clubs that have started running 1:10 scale since it became a sanctioned class in NAMBA and those who will start running it under a set of rules in IMPBA. Right now, there doesn't seem to be a way to "roll the dice" on a motor rule in a way that it can happen quickly without intervention from NAMBA. I really do think it would all work itself out once this first steps are taken and a proposal on specs can be made. Maybe start with 56.5 and see what happens over the next year or two. Would this spec work for outrunner motors too or would they need a spec of their own. May as well make a spec for them at the same time, but I don't have the technical know-how to do that. Darin, you're going to have to help me out on that stuff. Right now, our club is running the Himax motor, that is legal in NAMBA, in a class with the Scorpion HK3226-1600 motor with very competitive results. There are other inexpensive outrunner offerings out there that fall into the same general size too. Outrunner motor size specs seem to fall on the smaller side when compared to comparably performing 6-pole inrunners. It shouldn't be too hard to come up with comparable outrunner specs to go with whatever inrunner specs are proposed. Why not include them and expand the brushless motor options? I guess a proposal needs to come from one of the regions first, right? I was part of the original group who came up with the proposal for the 1:10 scale class specs. Much of it was a compromise, but it was necessary. I think it will be necessary again if we want to continue it's popularity with a national sanction. If not, I'm sure it will continue to flourish under individual club rules. Is there anyone writing up a proposal for their district meeting right now or are we still just in the talking stage? Agreement or not, it's pretty clear that something needs to get proposed if we want to rid ourselves of the motor-list based rule any time soon. We already know what the future looks like with that in place. I'm willing to generate some action from our NAMBA district if you like. Sorry about getting off track on political structures for a while. Must be low blood sugar or something. Happy Holidays everyone. Gonna go work on my 1978 Miss Van's P.X. project. Needs work.
    Mitch Dillard

Quote Originally Posted by rayzerdesigns View Post
    The length includes any bearing extrusion.. not excludes it
    Ooops, thanks.
    Futaba Team Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Coug90 View Post
    I agree with what Darin and T.S. are saying. I've read all of the tests and the many threads on this issue over the years. Folks make their own club rules because it's too difficult to get racers to agree on anything. Racers have too many issues around competition and egos to be expected deal with this sort of thing. Folks who just want to go racing and "get the boats on the water" don't have that kind of patience. I know I don't. It's so much easier to make adjustments when you have a smaller group in charge of the decisions. It's insane to think that there is any completely right or wrong decision here, but it seems that the inmates are running the asylum. For the sake of the classes out there, wouldn't we be better served to leave the final decisions up to a governing committee instead? The general membership has identified a problem and at least a general idea on how to address it. Folks were voted in to various NAMBA positions. Can we not leave it up to a group of officials to make an educated decision for a class for the sake of the class itself? Roll the dice and put boats on the water. It sounds like the conservative approach might be a good place to start and stay close to what the class has already. We can live with what is decided or we can ask for adjustments in the future. It will work itself out on the water. I suppose now we'd have to come up with a proposal to change how decisions are made on the national level. Like Darin said, whatever motor decision is made, it's better than any list based rule. They're just too hard to maintain and adjust to on a national level. I have loved racing with the club I'm in for 25 years now. We've only ever raced 1:10 scale. We have three classes with different motor rules for each. The club is still growing in numbers and is still has fantastic racing IMO. We've had ups and downs with rule changes, but the process is what keeps things going. We submit proposals each off season. They get reviewed by a committee of officials who we voted on and trust to put the club's best interest in mind (supported by a set of club bylaws) when making decisions on what makes it to a ballot and what does not. We gave them that authority because once the club got to be larger, the old method of having everyone vote on everything proposed just wasn't working well for the club. I don't know if a nationally sanctioned class can really reach its full potential as far as national events and multi district participation take place without changing the way decisions are made. I know that it would be difficult to sell the idea of having our club participate solely under NAMBA rules for our classes at this point, but I think it would certainly be a step in the right direction for many of the clubs that have started running 1:10 scale since it became a sanctioned class in NAMBA and those who will start running it under a set of rules in IMPBA. Right now, there doesn't seem to be a way to "roll the dice" on a motor rule in a way that it can happen quickly without intervention from NAMBA. I really do think it would all work itself out once this first steps are taken and a proposal on specs can be made. Maybe start with 56.5 and see what happens over the next year or two. Would this spec work for outrunner motors too or would they need a spec of their own. May as well make a spec for them at the same time, but I don't have the technical know-how to do that. Darin, you're going to have to help me out on that stuff. Right now, our club is running the Himax motor, that is legal in NAMBA, in a class with the Scorpion HK3226-1600 motor with very competitive results. There are other inexpensive outrunner offerings out there that fall into the same general size too. Outrunner motor size specs seem to fall on the smaller side when compared to comparably performing 6-pole inrunners. It shouldn't be too hard to come up with comparable outrunner specs to go with whatever inrunner specs are proposed. Why not include them and expand the brushless motor options? I guess a proposal needs to come from one of the regions first, right? I was part of the original group who came up with the proposal for the 1:10 scale class specs. Much of it was a compromise, but it was necessary. I think it will be necessary again if we want to continue it's popularity with a national sanction. If not, I'm sure it will continue to flourish under individual club rules. Is there anyone writing up a proposal for their district meeting right now or are we still just in the talking stage? Agreement or not, it's pretty clear that something needs to get proposed if we want to rid ourselves of the motor-list based rule any time soon. We already know what the future looks like with that in place. I'm willing to generate some action from our NAMBA district if you like. Sorry about getting off track on political structures for a while. Must be low blood sugar or something. Happy Holidays everyone. Gonna go work on my 1978 Miss Van's P.X. project. Needs work.
    Mitch the proposal has been sent to namba.. it has to go to secretary and BOD to see if it needs to be re worded.. if not it will be put out to a vote through the whole NAMBA Membership..So it is in the works.. it was voted on in d29 to go straight to national..the proposal was for 37x60 max.. to include any bearing protrusion

Ray, has anybody addressed 10th scale? They had their own motor list I thought.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Ray, has anybody addressed 10th scale? They had their own motor list I thought.
    No sur.. not that I know of..

So NAMBA 10th guys are at least a year away and that's only IF someone gets proactive now. You may need to kick the cage on their behalf Ray.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Going to just say this one thing... All of the previously "approved" motors were 6-Pole motors.

Very few, if ANY, of the "possibility" motors out there in the 36mm diameters are 6-Pole. Most are 4 or 2. A 56.5mm 6-Pole is CONSIDERABLY more capable than a similar length 4-Pole, or 2-Pole.

Testing the motors head-to-head on the bench proves this point.

That said, whatever dimensional limits you agree on are better than ANY "motor-list" based rule. Everything will sort itself out from there. The "P-LTD" classes could use a "slow-down" anyhow.
    Not disagreeing with anything here but we are facing the current situation of most of those 6 pole motors are now history, do we let the classes die with them?? Of course not!! I said it before and I'll say it again- time to gut check this, set some simple diameter/length limits and roll the dice. Darin is SPOT ON THE MARK saying everything will sort itself out from there, it will and always has. I've been in this game a while now and watched that happen in gas and nitro, this will be no different. There is no magic answer, no golden ring, no silver bullet. There is only one thing guaranteed not to change and that's things will keep changing! Like it or not we in the boating community are but a small slice of the r/c community pie and often simply have to adapt to what's out there. Time to pull the pin and rock!! Bottom line it's all about getting boats on the water boys and girls..............
    Futaba Team Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    The "P-LTD" classes could use a "slow-down" anyhow.
    You didn't just say this did you? Glad you did.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Here in Australia, at our club, all our restricted classes run the 3656 Proboat, Dynamite, or Aquacraft 1500kv motors. The Aquacraft is no longer available.
    But we are also restricted to the 45A Proboat or Aquacraft ESC.
    Props are not restricted, but usually end up being the X645 or X447 size, in monos, sports hydros, & riggers.
    Maybe a restricted ESC amperage could work as a suitable "slow-down" factor.
    Could keep the costs down a bit too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast