Thread: brushed mod

Default brushed mod

I was reading in Big Jim's booklet about brsushed motors. Ok, if a person would have a really good 540 motor , a 12/3 and to get more torque would take the shell off another 540 and wrap and solder the shell on. I take it from BJ, it would show less rpm but increase torque, am I correct? I have plenty of 540's and thought putting it in a balsa 22" mono with a Oct. 630 prop for the H### to see what happens. Replies are welcome. Winter gets to long and boring!!! Oh yes, thanks!

I raced trucks years ago and motors were “stock” or “modified “, stock motors had the cans sealed preventing you from resurfacing the commutator with a comm lathe. (Most of the time :) ).
    On modifieds the end bell is removable so you can change armatures to different winds, change bearings and easily cut the coms.
    What are you hoping a new can will do for you keeping the armature the same? Unless the magnets are tired from being hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

I did post but something screwed up after all my typing and said **** it. I'll reread Big Jim's book again.

Cool

One of Ed Hughey’s “tricks” he passed on to me many years ago (long before Big Jim) was to increase the magnet strength by using part of another motor can. I used the trick for years, and it did increase the motor efficiency (and yes rpm did decrease).

I usually cut a 1” wide ring off another can (magnets removed first), the made another cut turning the ring into a “C” shape. I slid the ring onto the subject motor centered on the magnets. Along with polarized brush springs and a few other minor mods my motors were pretty quick and won a few National Championships for me back in the day.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Those were the days, motor testers, comm lathes, cutting brushes into every shape imaginable, spring testers, super secret break-in and comm drops. It was fun stuff, I still have all my gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

It is called a flux ring, and increases the effectiveness of the magnets resulting in a higher KT and a lower KV. Many can motors come with them.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Yeah...the radio box at the stern is over an 1 1/2 taller than the steering boot holes. The radio box was designed to be cowl but I'm going with a regular cowl.

If your goal is to increase torque at the cost of loosing RPM in order to turn a larger prop a Hughey gear drive will do the trick just fine. I don't think he is in business any more, the last time I talked with him, a few years ago he was in poor health. But his stuff was quite popular 20 plus years ago and I bet you could find used gear

Ed shut down his business several years ago. He passed away in March.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Thanks for the replies. Yes, on ED's gears, I have 2 sets and ED sent me some silver brushes over the years and some data on best ratio and etc. What a loss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having used and melted down more than my share of brushed motors in boats. The best results I had were with drill motors. Idk if Steven still sells the 700sc but it had more torque and lasted longer than any rc vehicle motor I ever ran. I even bought and tested drill motors from Hitachi and Dewalt. Both where really good. Just a thought of you're gonna run brushed motors.