Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another lonely boat followed me home...

Here is the build thread on mine. It was painted many many years ago and just never got built. More recently I got it.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...45-quot-Scarab

As far as rudder, there is nothing really wrong with it behind prop and I dod contemplate it as I had a couple makeshift old ones here. And as far as tapered or straight, I’m not sure, I meant to test both this past year on my big cat but actually got little boating done. So this next year with luck

Didnt put 2 and 2 together... i was drooling over that paint scheme just the other day....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
    Didnt put 2 and 2 together... i was drooling over that paint scheme just the other day....LOL
    Edited my post as you were typing, lol

I just have to make the hatch look good.

Mine came with a pair of standard size Futaba (75mghrtz) servos. I'd not seen them in tan in many years. I should think any modern standard size servo will work as long as you don't go too big with the rudder or heavy with the engine. My DV-60 Came with an Enya .60 nitro motor which is much lighter than any weed eater know of. Have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! LOL!! -Ken-
    Last edited by Mad Hatter; 12-27-2018 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    Mine came with a pair of standard size Futaba (75mghrtz) servos. I'd not seen them in tan in many years. I should think any modern standard size servo will work as long as you don't go too big with the rudder or heavy with the engine. My DV-60 Came with an Enya .60 nitro motor which is much lighter than any weed eater know of. Have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! LOL!! -Ken-
    Ken, good to know on the servos! As for engine weight, mine is particularly bad...LOL its a 31cc 4 stroke overhead valve engine... taller, and wider than a 2 stroke... especially so compared to a marine spec'd watercooled engine...LOL

Todays progress... dry side has the first coat of primer....20181231_151330.jpeg

Lookin good man...!!!

Thanks! Long ways to go yet but i couldnt stand the crap paint anymore...LOL

More progress today.... after a half day of work i swung by a friends house... said friend has a small machine shop in his basement.... we made chips fly and cracked out a motor mount, and started on a rudder for fun... i think the back end of the motor supported by 1/4" x 3x3 angle should support it quite well....LOL that is me running the mill as well... seems i have a knack for it, having never done it before.... took about 1 min of instruction, a test pass, and i was on my own...LOL

Great Job! I had a friend like that in N.J. We put a Bridgeport in his living room! It looked a lot like your friends basement! Brings back memories of him! Thanks,-Ken-

haha yeah, there isnt clearance in his basement for a bridgeport, but yeah, he has the mill, a nice lathe, bandsaw, drill press etc... shockingly his wife is ok with it all down there....LOL I'll get some pics of the finished mount up tonight when i get home... we also started on a rudder, and gave him dimensions for a bullet nut too....LOL still need to draw up a plan for a front mount, possibly off the weedy shaft mount to a 5" bar mount type of setup, and possibly even tie the stuffing tube into said mount... the motor is designed to hang from that mount, so using it in conjunction with a rear mount, and that and combining with the stuffing mount should work...

Very nice stuff bogieboy. Good to see the necessity part of the hobby in effect.

i prefer to think outside the box...LOL i could have just said screw it, bought a water cooled zen and standard mounts and said good enough... but i like doing things my way (usually the hard way...LOL) i had this power head from a 4 stroke stihl sitting, and i know they make "boatloads" of torque (pretty punny eh? LOL) so i figured what it lacks in rpm i can turn a larger prop slower and still have good results.... and it sounds wicked...LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALm-tRc1aII

Nice to see old Hulls come back to life. I remember Dumas 1st coming out with Fiber Glass Hulls ,,, My very 1st RC Model was a Dumas DV-20 Wood , a couple years ago like 1975 went from a Enya .19 with a water jacket to now a K&B 3.5 Inboard after Engine, Radio and maybe 4 Paint jobs I still have it and could never part with it.. its dirty now , needs cleaning but I know it would run again with just a little work

So Hello DV-60 from your little Brother

IMG_1849.jpg

Russ
    HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS

Russ

nice DV20! a quick bath in a local pond would surely clear that dust....

That is a lot of ingenuity right there! I have to give you a lot of credit! My DV-60 Still looks like yours did in the early stages. I'll get to it eventually but right now I'm working on another boat. Please don't stop posting I want to see how this works out.-Ken-

That is a lot of ingenuity right there! I have to give you a lot of credit! My DV-60 Still looks like yours did in the early stages. I'll get to it eventually but right now I'm working on another boat. Please don't stop posting I want to see how this works out.-Ken-
    Not a problem! I appologise i forgot to snap pics of the mount last nite....LOL soon enough though.... as for ingenuity... i seem to have a mechanical mind... helps being a small engine tech (work for john deere and am stihl certified as well) hence the collection of weedy powerheads....LOL

I have thought often of doing this. I have at time to time had chainsaw engines around.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    I have thought often of doing this. I have at time to time had chainsaw engines around.
    oh yeah i have those too... from 34cc all the way up to 94cc....LOL i figured doing the weedy motors would be the easiest--already set up for flex shaft drive... i have (and still am) considered building a large scale rc car with a chainsaw motor at some point....

Quote Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
    oh yeah i have those too... from 34cc all the way up to 94cc....LOL i figured doing the weedy motors would be the easiest--already set up for flex shaft drive... i have (and still am) considered building a large scale rc car with a chainsaw motor at some point....
    Yeah Baby!!!

I'd start with the weed whacker engines, Air cooled, 2 stroke or 4, It doesn't matter! Do what feels right! Then Go onto the chain saw motors! (I own several of these Stihls, I like them.) you can do whatever you want, including this boat as a test bed to determine speed, RPM and endurance! -Ken-

In other RC news, i finally got the RS4 that came with this boat running tonight... had to drop a new motor in (got a redcat sh.18 NIB from amazon for $35, how i stumbled on that i will never know... came on a slow boat from china) and rebuilt the 2 speed (redcat parts again) since the setup that was in it didnt have the right clutch bell, and didnt mesh at all with 1st gear...found out that a redcat lightning str 2 speed setup will drop right on an hpi 2 speed shaft for an rs4....LOL good to know since theres no more hpi and any parts are rediculously expensive NOS... example... built the whole 2 speed (clutch, bell, secondary clutch and primary/secondary gears) sans the countershaft for $22 out of redcat parts vs an $89 2 speed kit from hpi... planning on running a tank or 2 thru it at work tomorrow to break it in...hehe pics will ensue then...

This is getting more interesting by the minute! Describe this 2 speed to me. Does it have a planetary set? I once saw a drag boat (1:1 scale), it had a shortened GM powerglide trains in it! LOL! -Ken-

This is getting more interesting by the minute! Describe this 2 speed to me. Does it have a planetary set? I once saw a drag boat (1:1 scale), it had a shortened GM powerglide trains in it! LOL! -Ken-
    Its a standard 2 speed for a car...LOL that wasnt for the boat... it was for the HPI rs4 that i got with the boat... however.... im sure it could be done..... but the gear ratios would be way off... way underdriven... this is the type of 2 speed in the car... https://youtu.be/dY51fBkWvZo

Totally spaced on pics of the car yesterday, but we made more rudder progress....beveled the blade and got the mount squared away... still need to make the pivot block....

As an FYI, i havent stopped this project.... been busy with life though the last few weeks and havent had a chance to get to my buddies to work on stuff.... we also had issues with his mill spindle wanting to sieze in the plain bearings, so we had to disassemble that and rebuild it/clean up some burrs there too.... there should be some more progress pics soon!!!!

Speaking of progress.....buddy just sent me this....pivot block is done, and you can see off in the left corner the exhaust adapter we are making to do away with the stock can, still gotta figure out the rest of the exhaust but its a start....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rudder got assembled...Rudder5.jpg

Got the hull back from my buddy today, decided to try the blue carbon wrap for the top of the boat... its not perfect.... but its growing on me...

also trying to get an idea of the lay out for the rear end.... how close to the prop can one go with the rudder on a mono? I am thinking about a 1/4 inch clearance at full lock or so would be a safe bet?

And... another question on the rudder.... top pivot point is pinned with a solid steel pin, what should i use for the break away bolt? I have some 10-24 nylon bolts and nuts... but am worried that they wont be quite strong enough...would brass work better in say a 6-32 or something?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast