Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another lonely boat followed me home...

Default Another lonely boat followed me home...

1543699662499.jpg l

Well.... another boat followed me home today... a dumas dv60 competition fiberglass hull...45" long and most likely older than i am... LOL plans are *gasp* not electric but a gas weedeater motor... have a few at my disposal, a 19cc, 25cc,33cc, 40cc, and a 30cc 4 stroke... not sure yet which im gonna use...LOL anyone have any advice?

Also, should i try and use the original submerged drive and stuffing box setup that it had, or switch to a strut or stinger?

Damn... whata find....love the old dumas hulls... have several...... i'd go stinger surface drive....

Where is everybody coming up with these feral hulls??

This one was a random search of rc boat on letgo... been looking for a CHEAP hull for a while for a gas engine.... grabbed this one, peeling paint and all for a whopping $120.... but that was a package deal with an old nitro rs4 thats mostly complete...and has a few good mods like an OS max 15cvx, and a 2 speed, and some other aluminium goodies...20181202_105840.jpg

Wow that's a relic.. God bless ya for tackling this baby lol. Personally there is nothing I like more than resroring these old boats. There is a guy in town here that has an old enforcer probably a 50+ I'd say.. In his front yard as a planter rotting away. I've tried to buy it twice but evidently he gets some sort of satisfaction from watching it die slowly lol

LOL i hear ya.... the fiberglass is solid, and just crappy paint in the first place, added to being old.... it looks worse than it is... LOL at least thats what i am currently telling myself....LOL i have sucessfully removed the original stuffing box this evening, on to filling and smoothing and sanding the old crappy paint off....

Hey...it's all worth it my friend.....

Oh it will be.... i already have ideas for paintschemes....LOL

Nice! Do you have any pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Nice! Do you have any pictures?
    Of paintschemes, no....LOL lets just say it will look like a 70s gelcoat when i am done with it, and might have some airbrushing too...as for general pics of the hull, heres a few...1544225930058770620831.jpg20181207_183208.jpg20181207_183138.jpg20181207_183127.jpg

Quick initial motor mockup, if i decide to run the stihl... gotta figure out a muffler for it, since the stock can doesnt fit, and i really dont want to hack up the hull...

Default Sentimental value

Hi, bogie, I have one of these hanging out in my rafters. It was given to me by an old friend 29 years ago. It was built by his son who passed 20 years earlier. It came with an Enya .60. I can't picture myself getting rid of it! Although I have considered making it into a planter many times. It is not a pretty vessel!! But it has too much sentimental to let go of. That said, If you don't remember 45 rpm records or 8 track tapes, that boat IS older than you.
    Last edited by Mad Hatter; 12-11-2018 at 03:10 PM.

LOL i do remember 8 tracks and own a nice little record collection, but the boat is probably still older than i... i am but 30... a child of the 80s...LOL

So... christmas bonus hit the bank acct today.... i think you all know what that means....LOL i have ordered a stainless propshaft, drive dog, prop nut, 78mm prop, brass solder ferrule, and compatible stinger drive....LOL all thats left is a rudder, maybe trim tabs, and a stuffing tube... also bought a portable media blaster, planning on soda blasting the paint off the hull... buddy of mine recommended it as thats how he did his (full size) fiberglass sailboat a few yrs back... cant beat $20 at harbor frieght for that... and im sure there will be other items that i will want to blast eventually too....LOL also aforementioned buddy will probably be makimg the rudder for me... hes a hobby machinist.... LOL we can make anything you can buy....

Progress!!!! Stinger is mounted....

Stinger looks real good! I like seeing these old classics being restored. I also have an old 1/8 hydro, It is a Dumas Miller American, it came with an old K&B 11CC. If you do a good job on the dv 60 I might consider giving it to you for little more than the cost of shipping & handling. Keep up the good work! -Ken-

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    Stinger looks real good! I like seeing these old classics being restored. I also have an old 1/8 hydro, It is a Dumas Miller American, it came with an old K&B 11CC. If you do a good job on the dv 60 I might consider giving it to you for little more than the cost of shipping & handling. Keep up the good work! -Ken-
    Thanks!!! I dont think i would be deserving of a Miller American, let alone convincing my wife of the need for another boat in the house...LOL she wasnt terribly understanding when i got the 1st, an old Graupner MonsterVee... then worse when i got a Volantex Vector ( got sick of trying to push the monster past what it was designed for--14s nimhs on twin speed 700s with a 2:1 reduction drive)at this point im sure you know how it went when she saw the 45" gasser sitting on my bench, looking like a shipwreck....LOL i am a small engine mechanic, so going gas weedy engine made sense, because i only have like unlimited access to weedy motors...LOL

As for the stinger, i picked that up from zipp... settled on that because it was the only stinger i found that explicitly stated it was solder ferrule compatible, and i plan to run that way, with the weedy shafts as the flex... again... unlimited supply...LOL so i cut down the flex and solder (have a bottle of permatex sleeve mount as well that i may try) on the coupler...done deal...

My wife told me years back "If you bring home another boat, I'm Leaving!!!" Gosh I miss that woman. LOL , But seriously I do miss her. -Ken-

LOL i would miss my wife more than another boat....

Well then take her out, buy her something special with that bonus $. There's always time to build boats. My wife passed 6 years ago and I'm still having Blue Christmases without her!

I already have! LOL i may be young (only 30) but i am not stupid....LOL she got a nice hour long massage, a new set of kitchen knives, (we were still using dollar store steak knives...)and a few other things still under the tree....LOL

So..... my lovely wife.....LOL we just opened gifts.... this was under the tree for me...

Hey now that's a keeper, LOL. The wife as well as the boat!! Merry Christmas!! Take good care of her!! And have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!! -Ken-

That boat is a real beauty when finished...!! Your wife is very thoughtful it seems....God bless and have a Great Holiday...!!

Thanks, she really is very thoughtful... the holidays are hard for her though... she struggles with depression and anxiety.... it makes things tense sometimes... today is not one of her better days... i wish she didnt have to struggle with that stuff....

Quote Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
    Thanks, she really is very thoughtful... the holidays are hard for her though... she struggles with depression and anxiety.... it makes things tense sometimes... today is not one of her better days... i wish she didnt have to struggle with that stuff....
    I certainly Hope you both can have a Happy Holiday..Together...God bless...

Quote Originally Posted by 30nitro View Post
    We did have a good holiday!

On to a stupid question... boat is 45" long... from what i see a boat this size needs around a 200oz servo, i have this, is it capable enough for this boat?

*!**Item Name: MG996R digital servo

*!** *!** Dimension : 40 x 19 x 43mm

*!** *!** Weight : 62g

*!** *!** Operating Speed : 0.19sec / 60 degrees (4.8V no load)

*!** *!** Operating Speed : 0.18sec / 60 degrees (6.0V no load)

*!** *!** Stall Torque : 13 kg-cm (180.5 oz-in) at 4.8V

*!** *!** Stall Torque : 15 kg-cm (208.3 oz-in) at 6V

*!** *!** Operation Voltage : 4.8 - 7.2Volts

*!** *!** Gear Type: All Metal Gears

Quote Originally Posted by 30nitro View Post
    We did have a good holiday!

On to a stupid question... boat is 45" long... from what i see a boat this size needs around a 200oz servo, i have this, is it capable enough for this boat?

*!**Item Name: MG996R digital servo

*!** *!** Dimension : 40 x 19 x 43mm

*!** *!** Weight : 62g

*!** *!** Operating Speed : 0.19sec / 60 degrees (4.8V no load)

*!** *!** Operating Speed : 0.18sec / 60 degrees (6.0V no load)

*!** *!** Stall Torque : 13 kg-cm (180.5 oz-in) at 4.8V

*!** *!** Stall Torque : 15 kg-cm (208.3 oz-in) at 6V

*!** *!** Operation Voltage : 4.8 - 7.2Volts

*!** *!** Gear Type: All Metal Gears

That servo should do it. I’ve been doing some reading on a friends website whom builds gas boats mostly in the 45” range and he seems to be recommending the Hitec HS 645 in the instruction/tips sections throughout his line of hulls.

BTW, working on a Dumas 45” myself right now and going to run the 645 or WP 646 servo.

Shawn

PS: for a rudder you can look to Rocket City Racing for a 5-6” extended rudder for that. OSE here doesn’t have extensions that long

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    That servo should do it. I’ve been doing some reading on a friends website whom builds gas boats mostly in the 45” range and he seems to be recommending the Hitec HS 645 in the instruction/tips sections throughout his line of hulls.

BTW, working on a Dumas 45” myself right now and going to run the 645 or WP 646 servo.

Shawn

PS: for a rudder you can look to Rocket City Racing for a 5-6” extended rudder for that. OSE here doesn’t have extensions that long
    Sweet.... i picked up a 4 pack of those servos a few months ago, figuring i could use them somewhere...LOL

Lets see some pics of your Dumas!!!! Surely it looks nicer than mine...LOL

As for rudder, i will probably have my buddy machine me one....what would be a good dimension on that? Also any drawbacks of a centered behind the prop rudder on a stinger drive? This is simply a fun build, no racing... i know a good starting point is 10%of the hull length for setback, but i was also wondering about a straight or tapered rudder blade, and how long and wide of a blade is needed?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast