Thread: ZTW Seal 200a ESC

Default ZTW Seal 200a ESC

Just tried to install a ZTW Seal 200a ESC I’ve had sitting in a box new since last year (it’s not the brand new model) and when I connected the batteries my motor shaft kept flickering to a steady beep about it very second. The receiver did not appear to be getting any power at all and I checked throttle and steering cables were both correct. Anyone have any experience with these?

Did you try the esc with battery and program box ?

Sounds like the plug is the wrong way around in the receiver. try turning the plug around. Also make sure the throttle trim is centered and the end points forward and back are both at 100%. This esc has reverse and you cannot change it to forward only. I tried to reduce the reverse endpoint so reverse wouldn't function but the esc would not arm.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Just ordered one. The manual method of programming is fairly confusing and I'm not getting the "beeps" they are stating I should when powered up for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    Sounds like the plug is the wrong way around in the receiver. try turning the plug around. Also make sure the throttle trim is centered and the end points forward and back are both at 100%. This esc has reverse and you cannot change it to forward only. I tried to reduce the reverse endpoint so reverse wouldn't function but the esc would not arm.
    The plugs are correct, the trim is centered and the end points are at 100%. Did you try to reduce the reverse endpoint once it was armed or does that prevent it from arming the next time you try?

On some systems, centered throttle trim is too high for the ESC to arm. Try very low trim>
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

Scottyp.
    Did you set the throttle calibration first, as described in the manual?
    That needs to be done on initial power up for the ESC to sense your transmitter's outputs for zero & full throttle.

https://airtekhobbies.com/downloads/ZTW.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by scottyp View Post
    The plugs are correct, the trim is centered and the end points are at 100%. Did you try to reduce the reverse endpoint once it was armed or does that prevent it from arming the next time you try?
    Yep it will stop it arming if adjusted to less than about 70% is what I found.

If you have tried all of the above & the ESC is still hunting for zero, disconnect everything & reverse the throttle channel.
    Then start everything up again with the throttle calibration step as in the instruction manual.

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    If you have tried all of the above & the ESC is still hunting for zero, disconnect everything & reverse the throttle channel.
    Then start everything up again with the throttle calibration step as in the instruction manual.
    Thanks Z85boats. So, here's where I'm at: I can now power it up and it's binding to my Futabba radio and is also giveing the correct initial number of beeps (6) to indicate how many cells I'm running. I actually haven't had a chance to check if the throttle and steering needs to be reversed yet but it probably does as that seems to be common with Futabba. However, and this is the odd thing, when I hit the throttle it goes to about 20% for maybe a full second then kicks in to full throttle. I know there are settings that control how much power goes into the throttle right when you squeeze the trigger. Do you think it might be one of those settings? I finally have a program card coming today which I'm hoping will make this a lot easier.

Also, one more question for for you: in the manual they talk about two calibration options: one direction and two direction but don't actually tell you what they are. I am assuming that means with the otion of reverse and without. Can you verify that?

Unfortunately you cannot get rid of the reverse function on these esc's, which is really annoying. The last thing you want in a boat is to accidently hit reverse and wreck a flex! The direction refers to the motor rotation. The throttle will be set on a slow start which is why you get the slow start, The program card will definitely make the set up easier.

Well, the good news is that I can turn reverse off on my Futaba if I can't do it on the ESC. Good to hear about the default setting to slow start. I'm curious though: if you can't take reverse off the ESC then how come when you calibrate the instructions offer a "one direction" or "two direction" option? If I am understanding you correctly that these are refering to the motor rotation and you can't turn reverse off than why would they give these two options? When I calibrate then do I just plug in the batteries while it's in full throttle then go full forward (reverse) on the trigger or just full throttle to neutral?

The program card and specs give no indication as to turn off reverse function. I was unable to figure that one out, even after searching with google. I did ask the question but got no answers for that. It would be good to be able to get rid of reverse for a boat, this was the only disappointing things about these esc's. I was hoping the new version would have better firmware and you could choose forward only. Unfortunately I had a motor lunch a full noise which instantly melted mine, bit gutted about that, it was an expensive morning at the pond that one, two motors (one cooked because I forgot to put a waterline back on) and one esc!

Scott.
    In answer to your last question, just go from full throttle to neutral. Not reverse.
    If you push to reverse, the etc will recognise that position as your neutral.You will have to use that position every time you want the motor to stop.
    Not much fun.

Thank you! Seems like a dumb question now that you've answered me! So, another one: I just got my ZTW Seal programming card which apparently works for their Gecko ESC as well. I plugged it into the ESC and it has a couple different options than shown in the instruction manual. I think they might be related to the Gecko ESC but not sure. They are "SBEC Output" and "Governor Mode". I am not entirely sure what I need to set them at or what they even are for that matter. Any knowledge on that?