Thread: Batteries in cold weather

Unhappy Batteries in cold weather

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum, and been admiring your discussions from a distance for a while now. I am also fairly new to boating, and currently hold a TFL Pursuit 8s project (not finished) and started with my trusty FT011 which was highly modified a short while (back to stock now again).

My questions regarding batteries is:
    Can it be true, that the cold weather (2 degrees C / 32 degrees F), can cause the LiPo's to sag so much, that the low voltage cutoff built in to most ecs, make the boat undrivable in cold waters? I could simply not get a full throttle run the other day I was trying.

My battery setup:
    4x 5200mah 4S gens ace bashing
    Running stock FT011

Let me know if you have had similar issues. BTW, the batteries did only stay out in the cold for about 30 minutes before i used them and experienced this issue.

Cheers
    Emil Wilkens - DK - https://www.youtube.com/user/Fyren07/videos

I have run plenty in cold conditions. I have also been known to keep batteries warm in a cooler with a ‘Magic Bag’ under such conditions. The cold can be harmful to the packs. Punching it on a cold set of batteries especially. Do a couple easy passes to get the juices (electrons) flowing which will warm the packs up and then you can run em up.

Shawn

The wiring likes cold ! The colder the esc and connections the better. The caps on the esc might need pre warming. The Lipo likes warm so that’s right.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    I have run plenty in cold conditions. I have also been known to keep batteries warm in a cooler with a ‘Magic Bag’ under such conditions. The cold can be harmful to the packs. Punching it on a cold set of batteries especially. Do a couple easy passes to get the juices (electrons) flowing which will warm the packs up and then you can run em up.

Shawn
    You suggest that my batteries are fine then? :) Sounds awesome. I think i might need to look into those rice bags for the micro wave...

Man, saw the vids and you've got that FT011 moving. . as for the battery in cold weather make sure your batteries are warm prior to pushing them hard. Like Shawn, srislash, mentioned, make a few slow passes to warm up the batteries. Or you can also get some battery warming bags. . .like this one on HK and they are on sale right now. There are others of course but this one works just fine. You don't even have to use the warmer bags in cold weather only. Racers often use them even in warm weather to further warm up their batteries prior to a race to get optimum performance.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...=&gclsrc=aw.ds

LiPos will degrade quickly is stored below freezing, and if used when cold. If you must use them cold then charging to 4.1V/cell instead of 4.2 will increase there longevity considerably, still it is best to warm them before use though. I used to keep them in my trouser pockets before use so they wouldn't get too cold (no keys or coins in with them), but I now have a charging case with a LiPo warming compartment. You can buy a 12v LiPo warming bag pretty cheap at hobbyking.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    I used to keep them in my trouser pockets before use so they wouldn't get too cold (no keys or coins in with them)
    Id be afraid of people starring at me with a 4s 8000mah in my pocket
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by rearwheelin View Post
    id be afraid of people starring at me with a 4s 8000mah in my pocket
    lol

I use a small Coolatron Cooler - It will work - Cold or Hot

In the heat mode I can heat my packs to 120F

Then in the heat of the summer, it would keep your drinks cold at the pond.

No ice required

Larry
    Last edited by TRUCKPULL; 11-29-2018 at 11:39 PM.
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Optimum running temp for a lipo is 84 to 106 deg F Never let your lipo get to freezing temps as that can fracture the electrolyte. I would never run my lipos below 70 deg as that just causes stress to the packs. Running your lipos to warm them up is not advised either because that causes stress to the packs. Like already posted here, warm your lipos before you run them.

Mark