Thread: Genesis Hull Pockets

Default Genesis Hull Pockets

I recently purchased a Genesis from HK and am in the process of building it. I stripped the hull, installed flush mount through hull water pickups, and am getting ready to strengthen and do a carbon fiber inlay. I was just curious about the pockets in the rear of the hull, that are for mounting stingers for a dual setup. I'm only running it as a single, and have read about people filling these pockets in, but have yet to find any good images of it.

Can anyone please show pictures of how you've filled these pockets? I was thinking of cutting pieces of carbon fiber plate (1mm-2mm?) to fit here and epoxy or JB Weld them into place. I'd like to smooth out all of the epoxy to make it look like it never happened and possibly repaint the entire hull eventually.

Any help is appreciated!

I had intended to cover them on my build last winter, but never got around to it. My fear was the pockets would cause erratic handling before the boat got on plane, while dragging its ass, but I can't say I noticed that behavior. The boat ended up running much faster on 6 and 8S than I had ever imagined, so now its just a cosmetic mod in my mind, and even lower on the list of things to do. I was planning on using a thin carbon veneer and gluing it to the perimeter of the recess, right across the top, and sanding the edges with a light bevel.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Does no one think they create a necessary vacuum on the rear of the hull and aid in holding it down?
    Anyone had a look at the rear section of some tunnels? Some have stepd to do this.

Please don’t get me wrong here, I am all for experimenting as you just never know what improves unless you try it.

Just bumping this thread up in case anyone had any further thoughts on filling these hull pockets? I'm currently building a TFL Mini Zonda, and thinking of blanking the pockets off.

I've added substantial weight to the boat doing an inlay, and worried the boat will sit low in the water whilst at rest. My thinking is blanking off the pockets will help the stern of the boat sit higher in the water? Perhaps using some carbon blanking plates and sealant to secure them means they can be removable if needed.

With regard to the vacuum to hold the hull down, would it be that it holds the stern down, but therefore meaning the bow rising (as air is getting packed into the tunnel), causing the backwards longitudinal flip characteristic of catamarans?

The rear end of my Mini was nearly fully submerged while floating in the water. Pockets or no pockets won't change that. It doesn't matter as long as things are water tight. As soon as you're on plane, the hull rides where it's supposed to. With that said, it surely won't hurt anything as long as they're completely sealed and water can't seep inside, and, the project doesn't add more weight to your build.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)