Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: NAMBA P-LIMITED Motor List - Pro Boat Motors NO LONGER AVAILABLE

I’m glad I’m not the only person that see’s an amp daddy don post and I read it just as it’s spoken, takes me three times as long to read Dons posts..... great posts though.......

Erm....... I’d better stay on topic.....erm........ yeah limited motors.........rules.......

Quote Originally Posted by trigger View Post
    I’m glad I’m not the only person that see’s an amp daddy don post and I read it just as it’s spoken, takes me three times as long to read Dons posts..... great posts though.......

Erm....... I’d better stay on topic.....erm........ yeah limited motors.........rules.......
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Not even that one time at boat camp Doug?
    He was still in control of himself. I know that because he was still talking to me like I wasn't one of " his sons".
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Hey!!! What happens at boat camp, stays at boat camp!!!
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

I think we're doing it wrong. We should have two days of boat camp with a little racing in the afternoon before dinner.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

OH GOOD GRIEF

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    I think we're doing it wrong. We should have two days of boat camp with a little racing in the afternoon before dinner.
    One heat of each class but they all run together. 260 some odd boats. One heat. Anybody who finishes gets a real nice ribbon.

I always say we screwed up the NAMBA limited set back in 2008/9 but I got to thinking about that some. I wrote this in an email to someone recently. Thought I would share.

FE has been arguing about "limited" since 2009. Very true but IMO that's because we fowled it up in the first place. Impossible to be sure but I think that a size limit would have made the format last forever. In our defense......there was very little secondary market availability. No TP motors, no leopard motors, SSS motors weren't even a thought. Most secondary market motors available were better than the RTR motors and 3 times the price. We didn't want them in the class. We really did want rtr boats to be in the mix.

Back then we thought that opening it up more would allow someone to buy wins. At least that would be the perception of some. This is ridiculous of course. Real racers know it doesn't work that way. It works the way Don described. Creative guys are still creative guys. A better fin. Half a degree of strut. Shift that CG a 1/2". Guys that spend time at the pond figuring them out. That's what makes the fast guys fast. It aint magic or spending.

With the motors though, the secondary market is much better now than in 2009. Catering to the RTR market was clearly a mistake but our intentions were pure.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    We have an event like that every spring. 3 days-2 days of camping, test/tune, seaplanes and great camp food both nights, race on Sunday. It's one of my few "don't miss" events of the season.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

Quote Originally Posted by raptor347 View Post
    We have an event like that every spring. 3 days-2 days of camping, test/tune, seaplanes and great camp food both nights, race on Sunday. It's one of my few "don't miss" events of the season.
    That's what I'm talking about! Way cool!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

How far away is Oregon Doug???

Quote Originally Posted by donhuff View Post
    How far away is Oregon Doug???
    You're going to have fly us Don! No crazy in flight maneuvers please!! I don't want to be the first to poop in your plane!

Approx. 3,600 miles by car...
    Last edited by Doug Smock; 12-05-2018 at 05:00 PM.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

First time they traveled to a Michigan Cup together, Doug called his wife to say goodby.
    Noisy person

First time they traveled to a Michigan Cup together, Doug called his wife to say goodby.
    ^^^^True story!^^^^
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

That's only because I had my first ever pair of real eye glasses on, and I was enjoying being able to see and dodge "some" of the pot holes on one of yawls dirt roads while headed to the motel after a day of racing. But I was going about 70 mph, in the dark, and the rain. Yeah, I would have been skeered too.

The proposal for 37x60 passed with the amendment of adding in any bearing protrusion included in length..off to BOD for approval then hopefully a vote soon to the membership

Quote Originally Posted by rayzerdesigns View Post
    The proposal for 37x60 passed with the amendment of adding in any bearing protrusion included in length..off to BOD for approval then hopefully a vote soon to the membership
    Nice to see things moving forward.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Well it def wasn’t going anywhere by just complaining about it.. lol

By adding the bearing you basically change the rule to 37 x 58

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Schweers View Post
    By adding the bearing you basically change the rule to 37 x 58
    Come on Greg.. only a couple motors have it.. the provost motors did..not adding the bearing by the way.. its the can length.. if either end has the bearing protrusion as part of can or end bell it’s then why wouldn’t it be included in the length??

I’m pretty sure the neu.. sss.. tp..leopard..ose motors and many more don’t have the protrusion.

I just wanna know the reasoning behind adding the bearing housing to the overall length

To keep someone from having a custom can with a bearing protrusion that would allow a longer rotor/stator.. it might not seem like a lot Greg.. and you of all people should know this..I’ve been involved with many motor manufacturers and know the ins and outs of brushless motors..it seems you are not in board or agree with the measurement/proposal that was submitted.. and that is your choice..hopefully we will all get to vote on this soon as the current namba list is getting to the non existent point..this is a simple measurement that is easily teched..no weight.. no grey area.. is it going to be the correct thing to save limited classes?? Time will tell..I’m hoping we can keep the biggest fe classes in NAMBA going..hope everyone has a merry Christmas and a happy new year..as soon as I hear something from national I will post it..

I don't think it is a matter of saving or killing this class. Not having affordable and available motor and esc's will surely stunt its growth. One reason the spec class thrives is it is not totally dependent on RTR equipment and the suppliers need for sales over supporting racing organizations which don't have a large market share. I have seen many RTR classes die over the years for various reasons. Lack of equipment choices being one. Manufacturers changing products for whatever reason another. Dimension specs aren't perfect but solve a lot of issues.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Quote Originally Posted by rayzerdesigns View Post
    provost motors
    Is this new? Care to share a link?

Thanks

haha Spell checked from a phone I predict. ProBoat.
    Noisy person

haha Spell checked from a phone I predict. ProBoat.
    Of course...

Other than the few that have already been discussed, I am interested to see the "windfall" of motors that a 60mm limit is going to produce.

I don't think it will. I think ("think") the intent was to allow something to be developed should the well dry up but still keep out the next power group that is 1415's. Flawed thinking? Maybe..... but some compromise has to be accepted somewhere.
    Noisy person

If rotor length made a difference Steve Neu would be using them in his motors .Can size controls the length of the stater and the wire. I have no problem with 37 x60

Hey I have an idea. Limit the Battery. Say 3000mah limit per 1 heat. Not hard to tech battery. If there is a question of how many mah
    someone used just take the pack and charge it. if it goes past 3000mah. You are disqualified. Efficiency is the key. Big motor big amps. This scenario would limit the amps used in a race. A guy could run a Neu 1521 or a Lehner if they wanted. They are limited to 3000mah per race. That's about 120 average amps per race. If that's to High then drop it to 2500. That's 100 amps average. If you want an easy way to control power limit the fuel. Heck make it 2000mah. 80 amps average. Don't give me crap that guys need the weight. Just add it then. Not in batteries though. And don't give me crap about "c" ratings. A 2000mah pack with a 70c rating should be good for 140 amps.

It would take forever to tech battery capacity, plus just because a charger shows 3000 mah doesn't mean all 3000 went into the battery. No no no, bad idea. What happens if you cut a bouy and have to do a penalty lap, two penalty laps? You now get dq'd instead of points? 37x60 and include the bearing shoulder/protrusion if it exists. I can get behind that.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast