Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NAMBA P-LIMITED Motor List - Pro Boat Motors NO LONGER AVAILABLE

Default NAMBA P-LIMITED Motor List - Pro Boat Motors NO LONGER AVAILABLE

As of now, the Pro Boat line of Motors that are currently listed as legal NAMBA P-LIMITED motors are NO LONGER AVAILABLE.

From what I can tell, of the listed motors, the ONLY motor now available to purchase new (from the manufacturer) for P-LTD is the AQ UL-1 2030KV motor. I tried searching for the 1500KV SV27 motor, but I don't see it as available on Tower. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Attachment 162558
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

BTW, the 2000 motor that comes in the Veles and the UL19 is not NAMBA legal but is still available. Although they look the same, the motors from the list are not manufactured by the same company that makes the 2k for Proboat. The company that made the old 1500/1800's is not making motors any longer. My understanding.
    Noisy person

The list is dwindling. Time for change.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Oh boy

Woohoo. Winter entertainment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by photohoward1 View Post
    Woohoo. Winter entertainment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LOL I'm out!!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Unrelated to limited exactly. What are the ERCU boys going to do? They have zero 10th scale motors at this point that are legal from the book.

We've been tossing around running them on the size spec and forget it. The 1500 was the go to but if ya can't get it anymore. It's not like we have hundreds of them.
    Noisy person

I agree for stability of the class some change in needed ASAP. Hard to promote new racers with the present options. We are entering the 2019 season shortly. Who actually makes the list? Can a committee update the current list or does it require proposals and a membership vote? Right here OSE sells a variety of 3660 size motors at reasonable prices yet they are not legal. (TP, Leopard, SSS).
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Has to be voted on in NAMBA. Typically after being run for a year.
    Noisy person

A proposal is in the works.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

You should be able to leave yer flame suit at home Brian. We all know what the right thing to do is. Multiple locals are already running it with almost no controversy. Should be a no brainer at this point.
    Noisy person

Where's Dave????

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    Where's Dave????
    Anybody live near Doby!?!?!?

Hey Guys.... LOL

You won't be hearing from me on this.
    No IMPBA, No NAMBA, and No MMEU.
    I have no place to discuss this what so ever since I will no longer be racing with any organizations.

But I'm sure NAMBA will get it right... at least they understand they need rules in the books in order to give out National Championship titles.
    Have fun with that....

My understanding is that, after realizing what can be done inside of a 62mm or even the 61.2mm can that I originally suggested (based on measuring all of the potential motors we were testing), the limits are being proposed at 37mm x 60.0mm. LOTS of motors available in this range. ALL of the current P-LTD Motors fit inside this range. One would think this would do the trick. One should also be certain that some won't be happy with it. Can't make everyone happy.

And, I too agree that it's silly that this rule-set is NOT in the rulebooks for IMPBA. HOWEVER, I think it was wise to NOT put the CURRENT NAMBA Ruleset into IMPBA rules. Too Vague, as we've found out, and not sustainable, as the subject of my post proves.

Defining the class based on a motor dimension, however. Rock Solid, sustainable, TECH'ABLE, and COMPETITIVE. Rule is BLACK and WHITE. No inarguable reason why it shouldn't be official, especially since it's sustaining FE Racing in both organizations.

But, I'm just a member. I'll let the powers-that-be sort all that out.

There's no down side to a weight restriction either. Keeps honest people honest. The likely hood that someone will protest a motor and force weighing it is so slim it's virtually non existent.

We've had the "as manufactured" in the book since inception despite the fact that very very few people even COULD have verified it. "Well....... it's in a gold can must be legal" Guess how many protests to verify "as manufactured" there have been since limited was penned?..............ZERO! No motor protests. Ever. So all the tech fear is unwarranted. The weight would simply be a point for builders to stay under. You know if you're out there on the edge. The type of racer that would max out that part of the spec is versed well enough to build accordingly for easy tech.

It's like the 65% trans rule. You rarely have to check that. When you're building a sporty though.......you use that as a guide.
    Noisy person

Just me speaking, and I don't have anything to do with the current proposal that's in the works, outside of all my initial testing and research, but the weight thing makes people "feel good", but really adds a lot of "gray area" to the rules.

I'm for keeping it simple, and not requiring that a boat be torn-down to verify legality.

Then again... I've been wrong before...

Attachment 162560

Attachment 162561

Wouldn't the time required to build those monstrosities be better spent turning laps? Or maybe getting a boat to run free and clear?
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Wouldn't the time required to build those monstrosities be better spent turning laps? Or maybe getting a boat to run free and clear?
    Certainly... or understanding how to prep and tweak your own props...

There are negative side-effects to all the above... like, how do you effectively water-cool them??

As Darin has already pointed out; they will need to be cooled... Those showed up on IW a while back. The more I've had time to digest it the less those scare me. The core group of motors being used are far shorter and lighter than any of the current limits.

The weight thing was a temporary solution to a permanent problem.

In retrospect, the thing I find funny now is we immediately made the jump to 5.5mm connectors on the motor side.... why? more, more, more It sure would make things interesting if we included a specification for a max diameter on the motor connectors and a requirement to leave one solder joint exposed. LOL we are using connectors that accept 8-10 gauge wire, but the stock controllers (we started with) used 12-14 gauge wire? Just an observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    LOL I'm out!!
    I don't blame you sir.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    Anybody live near Doby!?!?!?
    Me. I'll take care of him. He flies planes mostly now so it will give me target practice with my pellet gun. :)
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Me. I'll take care of him. He flies planes mostly now so it will give me target practice with my pellet gun. :)
    Thanks Ray!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

The proposal should be to allow the "NAMBA BOD" to make changes to the "Approved List" based on the criteria already in the rules. The Electric chairman can recommend what motors should be added to the list. That way they can be updated on an annual or bi- annual basis. Real Simple.
    No other guidelines need to be added.

JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
    As Darin has already pointed out; they will need to be cooled... Those showed up on IW a while back. The more I've had time to digest it the less those scare me. The core group of motors being used are far shorter and lighter than any of the current limits.

The weight thing was a temporary solution to a permanent problem.

In retrospect, the thing I find funny now is we immediately made the jump to 5.5mm connectors on the motor side.... why? more, more, more It sure would make things interesting if we included a specification for a max diameter on the motor connectors and a requirement to leave one solder joint exposed. LOL we are using connectors that accept 8-10 gauge wire, but the stock controllers (we started with) used 12-14 gauge wire? Just an observation.
    I think to maintain "The motor is the fuse" mentality the connectors had to be changed to keep the failure inside the can where it belongs. Just playin fellas, I couldn't help it, sorry...
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

For the record.. yes the proposal is written.. will be voted at d19 year end meeting with the assumption if it passes that it be sent to national ASAP.. I see both sides of the weight thing.. but the size limit is a clear black and white. No need to even pull motor out and weigh it.. it either fits or not..the weight leaves a lot of grey area..will it be the solve all?? Maybe not.. but in NAMBA land.. we have one motor available now..in all fairness to that.. one motor is honestly the only way to make p limited 100% fair.. but we’ve had that discussion..I hope the new proposal passed and the bid at NAMBA will pass it.. and maybe even impba will accept it.. would be great to have both organizations have the same rules for some fe classes.. might make traveling to more races for all seem more doable.. and for those of you asking about me Newlands whereabouts.. trust me he is here watching.. lol.. and I credit him for the wording of the new proposal

Quote Originally Posted by Rookieboater View Post
    The proposal should be to allow the "NAMBA BOD" to make changes to the "Approved List" based on the criteria already in the rules. The Electric chairman can recommend what motors should be added to the list. That way they can be updated on an annual or bi- annual basis. Real Simple.
    No other guidelines need to be added.

JMHO
    Slew of things wrong with that.

You have to keep revisiting it.
    You have to cater to brands.
    You may well need to test new motors.
    We already KNOW they can be rewound. Can ya tell a factory from a rewind? On site, at a race, with normal humans tools?
    Can you tell if the bearings were changed? Check the bearing serial numbers I guess.

Adding to the list just perpetuates what was wrong with the rules all along. It's whats wrong with scale in both orgs. Untechable nonsense.

Length x width x weight doesnt need to be interpreted, updated, reviewed, revisted........ever.

The limited rules held up for a long time but not because we got it right. It held up because we had or heads in the sand.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    BTW, the 2000 motor that comes in the Veles and the UL19 is not NAMBA legal but is still available. Although they look the same, the motors from the list are not manufactured by the same company that makes the 2k for Proboat. The company that made the old 1500/1800's is not making motors any longer. My understanding.
    I thought this was judged to be NAMBA legal, earlier this year. A couple of us switched to it for local club racing. Runs great and comes back cool. So, we couldn't use it for a NAMBA event at another club, eh?
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast