Thread: Conversion help IC to DC

Default Conversion help IC to DC

My first try at moderate performance electrics and looking for guidance as trying not to waist money buying the wrong equipment. This is a start to further fast electrics as I now live on a lake.

Boat is an original kit Fairy Swordsman 34" length by 11" beam, weight empty is 3.1 lbs all wood. Original IC engine is a 0.46 ci at 1.18 KW power, max RPM approx 16000 turning a 1.4 x 45 mm prop, have also run an X45, have a solid shaft drive 5mm thread. Performance is OK with this set up and kind of scale+ but could take a little more.
    I am confused by the complexity of motors not for power equivalents (I believe 1.5 times IC needed) but one that will provide torque for this size and weight of boat running a full deep V hull without burning out itself or the speed controller. Not looking for more than 30 MPH as I run mostly rough water. So looking for average motor and speed controller for this level of performance that hopefully does not consume vast amounts of power. Tall order? Any help or guidance truly appreciated,

Beaker

I would suggest something like THIS MOTOR and cooling jacket in 1300kv form, on a 5000mAh+ 4S LiPo LIKE THIS, This combination will give you a bit more performance that your IC engine on the same prop, and is oversized so will run cool and last forever as long as you keep it dry and the bearings oiled. I would suggest that you use it with a 100+ Amp watercooled ESC (again over specced for cool running and long life), but I will assume that with a scale boat and a solid shaft that you want forward and reverse, I know boat ESCs with forward and reverse exist, but I generally use converted airplane ESCs which are forward only for race type boats, so dont have the experience to suggest a suitable ESC.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    I would suggest something like THIS MOTOR and cooling jacket in 1300kv form, on a 5000mAh+ 4S LiPo LIKE THIS, This combination will give you a bit more performance that your IC engine on the same prop, and is oversized so will run cool and last forever as long as you keep it dry and the bearings oiled. I would suggest that you use it with a 100+ Amp watercooled ESC (again over specced for cool running and long life), but I will assume that with a scale boat and a solid shaft that you want forward and reverse, I know boat ESCs with forward and reverse exist, but I generally use converted airplane ESCs which are forward only for race type boats, so dont have the experience to suggest a suitable ESC.
    Really appreciate the advice, will work on that direction, many thanks