Thread: Strake Question for Catamaran Build

Default Strake Question for Catamaran Build

Good evening all,

I am in the process of building my first cat, 34", and the plans I built from do not show any strakes. I was wondering if the strakes were omitted from the plan for a reason, or not. I am not a racer thus this boat will be for sport running with my grandson at the lake where we live.

Do you cat drivers have strakes under your boats?
    Do I need strakes and if so, where is the recommended placement?

Thanks all in advance,

Mikey
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well if you are into a bit of reading I dug this up while trying to get more informed for an answer to your question.

https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/c...-design.15072/

Follow a few of the links around and it gets informative.

But I don’t think my cats really have strokes so to speak. And not the dihedrals for sure.
    BTW, that’s a great looking hull you have there. Plans?
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Well if you are into a bit of reading I dug this up while trying to get more informed for an answer to your question.

https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/c...-design.15072/

Follow a few of the links around and it gets informative.

But I don’t think my cats really have strokes so to speak. And not the dihedrals for sure.
    BTW, that’s a great looking hull you have there. Plans?
    Shawn
    Thanks for the link Shawn, interesting reading. The plans I have I dug up on the net called custom cat, see attached. I have found the same plan called different names but the custom cat plan was the cleanest so that's the one I used. It's a basic plan so one has to put some thought into the build. For instance, there are no patterns for the planking or decking, thus the question about the strakes. Also, I learned how to bend basswood on this build, what a life saver!!

Thanks again for the positive comment and link.

Mikey
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Mikey,
    Those plans are the original shocker cat, drawn up by “Lone Wolf”.
    I have built cats from those plans in sizes from 12”, 14”, 24”, 27, 34” and 36”.
    I took the plans into my drafting software and made some mods and have given them out freely since Shocker gave me his for free.

About the strakes:
    My rev2 design 24” build originally had no strakes. It ran wet and too deep in the water. I then added balsa strips intended for trailing edges of airplanes and it made a world of difference.

Look up my builds with key words “scratch cat” and you should find what I have done and get an idea of my mods.

Hope this helps.
    Jesse
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet