Thread: Motor Leads

Default Motor Leads

I am in the process of cleaning up the layout of my motor and electronics on my FE 1/8 scale boat. I have moved the batteries parallel to the motor up under the deck and just ahead of the c/g. That leaves me looking for a new location for my ESC. The ESC is rather large, Swordfish 240A, and it will not fit in front of the motor or beside of it. That leaves me with two choices #1 on top of the motor & partially under the cowl or #2 slightly behind the motor. Here is where I need help and insight.

#1 I am a little concerned about the heat of the motor and the lack of air circulation in that area of the boat. I am also concerned that I will be constantly having to move the ESC around, flexing the motor leads and disconnecting and connecting the water lines to get the batteries in and out.

#2 - The cleanest place is slightly behind the motor. In that location is would not require moving the ESC around and disconnecting and connecting the water lines when I have to remove the batteries. It would also enable me to keep the battery power leads short. To do this I would have to extend the three motor leads 6". I would be using #10 flex wire and 6 mm connectors. My concern here is that it is not a good idea to extend the motor leads.

I welcome your opinions and advise....

Thanks,

Kelly

While ideally all wires should be as short as possible, extending the motor wires is fine. If it means you can shorten the battery leads it is a very good thing to do, and in your situation I would definately do it.

The issue with motor lead length is with the dificulty soldering to them if you shorten them.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

I agree with Paul, extending the motor wires 6” should be fine. On a high rpm/high amp setup this could cause issues, but for a 1/8th scale no problem.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Thanks guys....I appreciate the input. This change enables me to get a reasonable c/g without adding a bunch of dead weight.

KW