Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a gear set for a vintage Graupner Hydrospeed 500 drive system

Default I need a gear set for a vintage Graupner Hydrospeed 500 drive system

As the title says I need a gear set for a vintage Graupner Hydrospeed 500 drive system. My gears broke the first time I tried to run the boat.
    graupner 500 pic 2.jpggraupner 500.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by emspjay View Post
    As the title says I need a gear set for a vintage Graupner Hydrospeed 500 drive system. My gears broke the first time I tried to run the boat.
    graupner 500 pic 2.jpggraupner 500.jpg
    I’ll have a look tomorrow buddy. I may have them. I remember seeing gears somewheres. Just not sure if they were graupner or not. I used to run their stuff

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    I’ll have a look tomorrow buddy. I may have them. I remember seeing gears somewheres. Just not sure if they were graupner or not. I used to run their stuff
    Thank you!

Well I looked and couldn’t find any. I wonder if my old hobby store would have any old stock? Maybe. Back in the day I changed mine over to a belt drive system, it was so cool sounding. Hyperdrive was where I got the parts. The Graupner shafts were common 4 or 5mm so matching up is easy.

Thanks for looking! I have been searching ebay for months now. I remember the old hyperdrive belt systems, I will add that to my ebay searches.

Hey I’ll see what is going on with the old Portifino Graupner boat that I built in yesteryear. My moms male friend wanted it but pretty sure he was just after the 4ch radio. The boat has two of those drives in it

Sounds good!! Thanks again!

I actually might be interested in the whole boat minus the 4ch radio, I always liked the lines of that boat. I could use the gears for my project and retrofit that boat with a newer drive system.

Quote Originally Posted by emspjay View Post
    I actually might be interested in the whole boat minus the 4ch radio, I always liked the lines of that boat. I could use the gears for my project and retrofit that boat with a newer drive system.
    I’ll try to discuss with him this week, he is out of town till Tuesday. He is in possession of it. Lol.

mums_pics_160.jpgmums_pics_163.jpgmums_pics_159.jpgmums_pics_162.jpg

Might be a bit of a chore to pack but lets see what he has to say

I don't know how I missed this post I normally get a email. Any luck?? I'm sill interested!

It was suggested a couple weeks back. He will have a look for the boat. He is on a 2week on and one off shift out of town. I’ll try to catch him at the start of his off week here.

What diameter are the gears, i have an old speed 700 gearset, in i believe a 1.5:1 ratio...

I’ll try to discuss with him this week, he is out of town till Tuesday. He is in possession of it. Lol.

mums_pics_160.jpgmums_pics_163.jpgmums_pics_159.jpgmums_pics_162.jpg

Might be a bit of a chore to pack but lets see what he has to say
    Thank you for the update!

Quote Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
    What diameter are the gears, i have an old speed 700 gearset, in i believe a 1.5:1 ratio...
    You might have what I need. I thought the speed 700 system was direct flex drive. I threw out the broken pinion gear but the spur gear is about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.

DSCN3641.jpgspeed 700.jpg

Let me dig them out tonight... my setup was twin 700 motors to a single solid shaft, with ujoint and strudder....i had converted to a single brushless, but gave up on the hull, due to being designed for lower speeds...

If I recall correctly the pinion gears were the same and the spur was different between the single drive and dual motor setups

Yep I don't think the twin gears will work, I know the spur is smaller than mine and the pinion on the twin was bigger.

bogieboy can you measure from center of drive shaft to center of motor shaft? Mine is about 1 inch. It might work but just be a different ratio.

And for an update, I just heard my pal is being kept out of town for the last week before Xmas. So I’ll have to take it up with him then.

And for an update, I just heard my pal is being kept out of town for the last week before Xmas. So I’ll have to take it up with him then.
    That's cool I'm still interested in the boat! And the gears or drive bogieboy has (I would buy the whole drive). I like the old Graupner stuff.

Gear shaft to shaft appears to be 1 3/8", pinion dia just over an inch, and spur around 1 5/8"... as for the whole setup, the motor plate has warped from someone overheating it.... also has an almost brand new strudder, but one of the steering horns was broke, so its not a pull-pull setup...aaaand....LOL it has a 4mm-3/16 conversion shaft to run normal 3/16 dog drive props and i swapped the plastic bushings in the strudder for ball bearings

Crap those gears won't work I think I will pass on it. Thanks for taking the time to measure everything.

Not a problem! It took me about a month of scouring the web to find that set... LOL when i got the hull both pinions were cracked... so i feel your pain on that front... i had wondered about either converting to belt drive or figuring out a different gear set.... i almost bought the belt conversion for like the traxxas villans...then i found the gears...

Not a problem! It took me about a month of scouring the web to find that set... LOL when i got the hull both pinions were cracked... so i feel your pain on that front... i had wondered about either converting to belt drive or figuring out a different gear set.... i almost bought the belt conversion for like the traxxas villans...then i found the gears...
    LOL! No doubt! I have been looking for these gears since the beginning of summer on the web. Do you have a link for the Villain belt conversion?

About all i can find again is this video... im sure if you really wanted you could come up with belt pulleys and a custom length belt to fit just about any setup...LOL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSNgQ_L-qmk

Hi i have these gears do you know what number of teeth where on the ones you had? They are from a graupner gear drive i once ran.

Jack
    Attached Images Attached Images
    :canada

Quote Originally Posted by ezhitz View Post
    Hi i have these gears do you know what number of teeth where on the ones you had? They are from a graupner gear drive i once ran.

Jack
    Hi Jack,

My spur is 36T but I don't know how many teeth were on the pinion because unfortunately I threw it out.

Thanks
    Jason

Jack,
    I think the pinion you have is what I need if I counted the teeth right. 14T pinion and 36T spur equals 2:1 ration which is the ratio of the drive system.

About all i can find again is this video... im sure if you really wanted you could come up with belt pulleys and a custom length belt to fit just about any setup...LOL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSNgQ_L-qmk
    Thanks for the link! I just ordered everything that guy listed. Might be better in the long run to go belt.

No problem, should pick up the speed abit too as its a 1:1 setup instead of whatever the graupner is, mine was 2:1, then the gears shattered, then i found the 1.5:1....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast