View Poll Results: What MPH mark is considered "Fast Electric"?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Over 25 MPH

13 20.97%
  • Over 35 MPH

29 46.77%
  • Over 50 MPH

18 29.03%
  • Over 70 MPH

5 8.06%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: So, Really... What does it take to be considered "Fast Electric"?

Default So, Really... What does it take to be considered "Fast Electric"?

So, Really... What does it take to be considered "Fast Electric"?
    ________
    EASY VAPE
    Last edited by FighterCat57; 02-14-2011 at 10:05 PM.

I didn't vote, for me it totally depends on the size, 25 mph is rocketship fast for a 12" hull but pudding slow for a 50" boat. Speed is down there in black and white but "fast" is a subjective visual measure and needs to be measured in hull lengths per second or some similar measurement that takes size into account, not miles per hour.

My slowest looking boat that I consider FE is a 24" hull doing 30mph/522ips which is 22 hull lengths per second, its sure not a race boat and is slower than most FE I see but I still see it as FE, there's a big gap between this and my full on displacement scale boats though, so slower may still be FE but I have nothing in between to compare.
    Last edited by NativePaul; 05-11-2010 at 09:30 AM.

Yeah, it's amazing how scale effects the perception of actual speed. Today at the city center, whilst the EKOS was making wake up to a whopping 39mph, a few guys from the construction site near by couldn't get enough of it talking about how crazy "fast" this thing is and how cool it isn't gas and runs on batteries.

Really this poll is a separate question from the title...

The poll is asking what kind of water speed would you consider FE... the topic is what elements it takes to be considered FE is what I'm curious about.

It's an anonymous poll, so vote away... I'm curious to know.

NP- Hull lengths per second is a new to me measurement to play with. Cool. I like those.
    So my EKOS on scale at 39mph is almost 2 whole HPS slower than your 24" hull. =)
    ________
    ALASKA MEDICAL MARIJUANA
    Last edited by FighterCat57; 02-14-2011 at 10:06 PM.

let's take the average boat size or at least the most common size, what is it 30" more or less, 50mph is quite a nice speed for that size of hull isn't it?
    Emmanuel
    I'm french but I doubt I really am!
    http://pagesperso-orange.fr/pleindetrucs/

35mph is pretty fast. Add in a few other boats, waves and a course and its even faster.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Default 25

I put over 25mph. My mini-v's are skipping along at 13 to 15 mph. Over 25 would be really fast for them. 14" long and a v hull in 2" - 3" chop, fun stuff. Seems really slow though.

15 mph on my 55" gas mono, that is almost the slowest it will go without stalling the motor.

Maybe it is whatever speed it can blow over at or flip.

Brian

some time back Fluid posted a reasonable deffinition of what is an FE boat; if the boat gets fully on plane its an FE boat(provided it is powered by electicity ). so by that def, a zig zag/reef racer are FE boats...might not by the fastests boats on the water but still FE. I can live w/ that definition.
    rex
    Still waiting for my boat to come in.it came in

Can I vote whatever makes you smile?

Quote Originally Posted by teach View Post
    Can I vote whatever makes you smile?
    Yeah! Isn't that what all this is about? Fun?
    ________
    Yamaha xs750 specifications
    Last edited by FighterCat57; 02-14-2011 at 10:09 PM.

There was a thread about this a while back. Like Teach says, whatever makes you smile. I remember when I first got my BJ26, coming from an AC Hammer, I thought that boat was just the cats meow, "pun intended". But then I built another cat that got a bit faster, then I built a 70mph cat... Now my BJ, to me is SLOW... and all my other boats are SLOW, to me 40- 45 mph just isnt moving after running a faster boat... However, ALL of them are still a blast to run.

And my definition in the other post was something like this... if a neighbor, friend, passer by etc watches it run and any thing along the lines of "Holy.... Moley" comes out.. its FE.

Actually, come to think of it, when I got my AC Hammer I was tickled how it moved... now its my "Pokey Rescue boat". So maybe FE to an individual is where he or she is in the Hobby.

EDIT And/ or what boat they are running....
    Last edited by tiqueman; 05-12-2010 at 01:51 PM.

I did get the 'holy moly' type comment once when I was running my 19t electrified it were running completely aired out, only thing in the water was the prop and the rudder (about21-24mph).
    Still waiting for my boat to come in.it came in

Quote Originally Posted by Rex R View Post
    I did get the 'holy moly' type comment once when I was running my 19t electrified it were running completely aired out, only thing in the water was the prop and the rudder (about21-24mph).
    Thats FE in my book.

My vote is 35mph. I think that's when things start to look "fast" when going by.
    50 mph is silly fast and 70+ is crazy fast IMO. Good stuff.
    ________
    Weed bubblers
    Last edited by FighterCat57; 02-14-2011 at 10:21 PM.

I broke down and voted for over 25mph, but only because there is no over 5mph choice which I would still consider FE for 6" long hulls.

I vote over 25 mph because it depend on the hull, size, and powerplant. It wasn't that long ago when hobbyists were running 700 sized motors and Nimh packs and 25-30 was considered FE. Also, if it gets on plane while doing it.
    Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    I broke down and voted for over 25mph, but only because there is no over 5mph choice which I would still consider FE for 6" long hulls.
    If I could edit the poll, I would add it in just for you!

Thanks again for turning me on to the HLPS measurement! 20hlps is my short term goal. Will move up from there!
    ________
    MERCEDES-BENZ S-CLASS HYBRID
    Last edited by FighterCat57; 02-14-2011 at 10:22 PM.

If someone see's an electric boat running and says, dang that is fast, then it classifies as a "fast electric". ha
    ReddyWatts fleet photo
    M1 Supercat - Neu 1527 1Y, 8s / Mean Machine- Feigao 580, 8s, 120 HV esc
    Mean Machine - Feigao 540 14XL, 8s, 100 amp HV esc, X537/3

Noahoscar986 Guest

Mostly it depends on size so I am not casting vote.

I voted 25mph also. As stated above it really is a perception thingy, relative to size/scale of both the boat an the pond you run in. My ProBoat BJ 24" an 26" SW both run stock right around 30mph. I have two ponds I play boats in, on the smaller pond at 33mph my BJ gets the, OH my, Wow wee, holy smokes fast, cause on that little pond 30mph gets you from one end to the other an back again real quick. I don't run my FE tunnels at that pond ,44mph is to much boat speed there. Now at my large play pond, 30mph looks slow cause it takes forever to get from one end to the other a back again. SIZE MATTERS. LOL. My P-limited OPC tunnels run mid 40's, at 1:10 scale it works out to around 140scale mph that's fast FE. If you are running at or above scale speed relative to your hull works for me as FE.
    PROBOAT BlackJack 24", ShockWave 26"
    MRP U-31, 3 tunnels VS1, MRP Bud Light, Dumas HS Sprint

Guys, this is a 9-year-old thread. Perceptions of speed have changed dramatically since then.....the fastest R/C boat then was only 140 mph - set with nickel cells!

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Guys, this is a 9-year-old thread. Perceptions of speed have changed dramatically since then.....the fastest R/C boat then was only 140 mph - set with nickel cells!

what happened was a spammer brought it back from the dead, then JestDanny replied to it.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!