Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turn fin for GSX 480

Default Turn fin for GSX 480

Hi All.

Need some help. Building a GSX 480 from ML and I went to order a turn fin from Accu-tech yesterday - but they say they're out of stock for a few months!!! Does anyone know what other turn fins might fit a GSX 480? Or can someone hook me up with one?

Attempting an electric build of the hull as well. So if you've done that also I'd like to know how you did it. Layout & motor used etc. I have a 1000kv tp 56 can motor or a castle 2028 800kv on the shelf already to try in it.
    PERTH AUSTRALIA
    || 2 x SV 27R || Impulse 31 - ver1 || Traxxas Spartan || Kintec Pursuit || Zonda Cat 41" || Insane FE30 || OuterLimits 870mm || TFL Ariane 36" || ProBoat Zelos 48 ||

https://www.mojoracingproducts.com/c...plane-turn-fin
    I haven't built one but this might work out for you

Thanks jim82. I did wonder if mojo racing's sport 60 would do it. Mike said he'd never used one so we both weren't sure. It'll do the job you think?
    PERTH AUSTRALIA
    || 2 x SV 27R || Impulse 31 - ver1 || Traxxas Spartan || Kintec Pursuit || Zonda Cat 41" || Insane FE30 || OuterLimits 870mm || TFL Ariane 36" || ProBoat Zelos 48 ||

I don't see why it shouldn't

Would be a fun build to do. I'm working on the rsx 240 right now

I built the GSX 380 earlier this year and it turned out great. Learning curve for me for sure but the kits are really well cut and designed. Just wish I'd gotten the v2 kit though. My 480 is early build so far but really enjoying building it. Not sure how it will end up with batts and motor etc but Mike gave me the 380's long cowl to try working into the build. Not sure yet how that will all fit together but I see the potential :-)
    PERTH AUSTRALIA

Cheers for Blazer Marine link. Did not know about them! Is that bigger than the Mojo Sport 60?
    PERTH AUSTRALIA

I'm not sure right off hand what one is bigger.

I think either one should work

Hard to tell size difference from pics. Mojo does list dimensions as 3.125inch across at weld seam and 3.875inch top to bottom. 2.9oz weight. Blazer don't list dimensions. Emailed both anyway asking if they're GSX 480 suitable.
    PERTH AUSTRALIA

the MOJO fins are excellent and very well priced. my last fin was only about $40 shipped to Aust.

No argument there. It was a Mojo fin I put on the GSX 380. Nicely made and Mojo were great to deal with. Pity they don't make mounting brackets for them though. That Backlash boat at Blazer looks nice! If they made their fin for that then I think it will be ok for the 480.
    PERTH AUSTRALIA

its not hard to cut a piece of angle aluminium to size and drill a couple of holes. you can,t buy everything ready made you know.

Yes true. And that's what I did do. Guess I can dream though even if it is lazy :-)
    PERTH AUSTRALIA

I find it interesting that a vendor sells you a boat kit, but can't tell you what fin he recommends for the boat.

Mike recommends the Accutech ATHTFA-100 turn fin. Sorry - guess I didn't make that clear. Accutech say that fin will be out of stock for a few months. Hence my search for another fin.
    PERTH AUSTRALIA

I knew what you meant

Quote Originally Posted by IRON-PAWW View Post
    Mike recommends the Accutech ATHTFA-100 turn fin. Sorry - guess I didn't make that clear. Accutech say that fin will be out of stock for a few months. Hence my search for another fin.
    ahhhh, gotcha.

The mojo fin is for a P to Q hydro size boat and the Blazier fin is for a gas boat size hydro.

Mark

Thanks Mark. I was suspecting that the blazer fin was Gas boat sized but I didn't know for sure.

Thanks too jim82 for the insane boats link. Should have known to check there as I go there often to drool.
    PERTH AUSTRALIA

Quote Originally Posted by IRON-PAWW View Post
    Hi All.

Need some help. Building a GSX 480 from ML and I went to order a turn fin from Accu-tech yesterday - but they say they're out of stock for a few months!!! Does anyone know what other turn fins might fit a GSX 480? Or can someone hook me up with one?

Attempting an electric build of the hull as well. So if you've done that also I'd like to know how you did it. Layout & motor used etc. I have a 1000kv tp 56 can motor or a castle 2028 800kv on the shelf already to try in it.
    I just ordered the GSX480 for FE. Did you end up finishing this build? And if so how did the gas cowling work out for you?
    Thanks!

Terry hasn’t been back to the forum in well over a year. You can try sending him an e-mail through his forum profile page:

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...lmember&u=7993

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I figured it was a long shot. Thanks Jay

I'm Extremely Sorry.

Yes my life has temporarily moved away from boating but I really do hope to get back to it one day. Things just got busy..

So yes I *Did* complete the ML Boatworks GSX480 and ran it with - for me - very good results. I did not use the gas cowling however. In talks with Mike at ML - we figured the GSX380 long cowling would work and - work it certainly did. And the turn fin was indeed a Blazer marine fin for the very similar Backlash they have there. Worked an absolute treat. I got the boat to 120km/h - which for me was a good result. Stable and handled the summer seabreeze chop at our lake very well. To this day I feel the hull has more speed in it than this though, especially on a bigger lake.

Mike at ML has been threatening to revise the GSX 480 hull with an electric variant for a while. I note he's been extremely busy on other hulls recently though. It may be worthwhile contacting him to see if anything's happened in that space.

I'll see what photos I can dig out of my 480. Very happy to help if I can.

Castle 2028 800KV and Swordfish 300 lite ESC.

Again - extremely sorry for the tardy reply.

Last edited by IRON-PAWW; 02-13-2021 at 04:29 AM.
    PERTH AUSTRALIA

And one more

PERTH AUSTRALIA

Fantastic! Thanks for taking the time to reply and w/pics which is super helpful. Looks like plenty of room for all of your electronics. That?s a sweet boat!

Putting the ESC up front there does work with the Lite version Swordfish 300A. But it *is* a bit tight. Most people - it seems- do not put the motor in that second bay back like I did. They put it one bay further back and put their batteries in bay 2. I designed this specifically around those Revolectrix and Turnigy Graphene batteries and the abillity to put two battery banks in parallel if I wanted to. The boat actually ran best on the single bank of Graphenes pictured where they are above. 10S. I did actually toy with putting the batteries in the sponsons - which I think *could* be done, but you'd need to settle on the batteries you were going to use first and design around them. You could definitely go 12S if you wanted, but you'd just need to get the dimensions of MaH variant you were going to use.

Beyond that you *could* modify the tub's ladder frame for more room. But you'd have to be careful to re-strengthen properly if you did that. Completely doable though I think.

The motor protrudes up into the canopy bubble in mine - which works well.

There was another guy on Elite RC Boats facebook group who was doing a 480 electric build as well. But I never did see how that ended up.

Strengthening with CF inlay is a *must* in my opinion. Tub, Sponsons, and rear transom with extra thick reinforcement. Also I used extruded square CF sticks to bolster where the sponsons attach to the tub. I also strengthened the sponson tips with chopped cf and resin. I also put a light fibre glass weave underneath the wooden hatch covers. Having had a GSX 380 rip its tub floor out gives you a healthy respect for what can happen at speed.

Anyway... just what I did. Love to see a pic of yours when done :-)
    PERTH AUSTRALIA

Very cool. I like that last photo with it skimming above the water

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast