Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much power is enough power?

That 2070 motor is too small for 8s .

Yes it is.
    Reading the TP POWER w2bsite I assumed it would work on 8s.
    Its a 124amp / 29 volt. Motor.

Quote Originally Posted by rol243 View Post
    good flex shafts; cc racing / prather / speedmaster / hughey[ if you can get ] . also don,t cut into the hard shaft too much for those grub screws. i keep this shallow and remove any excess screw so all is flush on the dog. Crash, also have you considered trying a lower kv motor and run larger props. ?
    I found a hughey.
    That and new speed master stinger should hold up if I keep the current limiter on .
    I emailed Hiefi .
    "set current limiting to this parameter, and the current goes 200A or above, low over-current threshold, will shut down rapidly
    ‘Standard’ means when you set current limiting to 'Standard', and the current goes 400A or above, moderate over-current threshold, will shut down after a slight delay. Recommended for in runner motors.
    ‘Insensitivity’ means when you set current limiting to this parameter, and the current goes 600A or above, high over-current threshold, will shut down after a slight delay,. "
    So I can control the amps my big motor makes.

Thats electric motors for you, 0% efficiency when running unloaded.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

The motor will heat up quick with out water cooling. Especially a smaller motor.

Enough power in my opinion is when equipment is push to the limit.

Example the hull start to exhibit bad habits like blowing off the water, chim walking and other bad habits after you have made adjustments to no avail.

I think sometimes, you have to respect limitations of equipment and look for something design to do what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
    The motor will heat up quick with out water cooling. Especially a smaller motor.

Enough power in my opinion is when equipment is push to the limit.

Example the hull start to exhibit bad habits like blowing off the water, chim walking and other bad habits after you have made adjustments to no avail.

I think sometimes, you have to respect limitations of equipment and look for something design to do what you want.
    true but, the can didn't get hot the wires did.
    I shelved the 2070 its not going to work for me. I did not realize how small it was until I received it from TP. I almost returned it after seeing it but I didn't.

The set up I have or had before trying the tp4030 2070kv is a tp 4060 1650kv on 8s and its the Balls! but, I spent 200 plus in props and flex shafts due to the motor peaking out at 10,000 watts and snaps the flex shaft.

I thought a smaller motor rated at the same volts would work.

The wires on the tp4030 cant handle 8s , I don't get the rating.
    I have a call in for the owner over at The TP power store I bought the motor at to help explain it to me so, I can understand better for next time.
    For now the TP 4060 1650kv is going back in to finish season with new Speed Master Stinger and a Hughey Flex.

My original goal was to get to 70 mph with this boat, that was easy so I went for 80 mph that's when things got hairy and been chasing my tail since.

The 1650 kv on 8s is doing 74 mph at 74% throttle.

Crash, have you tried any good modified props for saw ? your 4060-1650 on 8s swinging a good prop set for straight line speed should easily get your mono in the 80 mph bracket. [ dasboater for props ]

Quote Originally Posted by rol243 View Post
    Crash, have you tried any good modified props for saw ? your 4060-1650 on 8s swinging a good prop set for straight line speed should easily get your mono in the 80 mph bracket. [ dasboater for props ]
    I think that 80 mph is already in it I just have not had it past 74 mph on gps but, that was not 100 % throttle. Its there but driving at 80 plus mph is sketchy on this hull...…..lol

the ESC current limiter is helping tame down this TP 4060 v1 today I got 69 mph at 246 amps and 7100 watts that's actually pretty good. I was getting 340 amps 10,000 watts without the limiter on to get 74mph .
    nov5thcurrentlimitonlow246maxamps.jpg

I was experiementing with an octura x646 3 blade. I detunged it, reduced the weight of the blades and sharpen the blades. After testing the prop the result was amazing. It is pulling amps like an octura m545, the motor is reving like it has on an m545 but I don't think the prop can me matched speed wise by any octura prop on a 4092 size motor. It ran faster than an octura x450. And in my observation by data logging I know increase the diameter will cause the rpm to drop and the pitch that the bigger prop has cannot off set the rpm loss to match the speed of my modified x646 3 blade.

I am sharing this experience so you can see if you can get a x646 3 blade detunge for yourself. Once prep right this prop is an amazing prop.

https://youtu.be/31oDU_abqn

This is my revolt on 3s with a leopard 4092 2080kv and the modified x646 3 blade prop that I mentioned above.

It was a handful to run 4s the prop was very aggressive insane acceleration. The boat would flip if I try and squeeze all to fast.

no video.

My revolt on 3s with that prop is faster than a spartan using 6s, it is very close in speed to the blackjack 29 out of the box while the blackjack is on 6s. And I running just 3s.

The prop is that great.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
    I was experiementing with an octura x646 3 blade. I detunged it, reduced the weight of the blades and sharpen the blades. After testing the prop the result was amazing. It is pulling amps like an octura m545, the motor is reving like it has on an m545 but I don't think the prop can me matched speed wise by any octura prop on a 4092 size motor. It ran faster than an octura x450. And in my observation by data logging I know increase the diameter will cause the rpm to drop and the pitch that the bigger prop has cannot off set the rpm loss to match the speed of my modified x646 3 blade.

I am sharing this experience so you can see if you can get a x646 3 blade detunge for yourself. Once prep right this prop is an amazing prop.
    Thanks Speed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12