Thread: ? for wood boat builders !

Default ? for wood boat builders !

Hi all i built a Dunlap W.O.F 30'' wood tunnel hull 10 years ago with the hull exterior finished in varnish after several years of use i noticed the 2 vertical surfaces on the sponsons inside the tunnel area started to develop a rough surface on both sides that would = 120 grit sand paper for about 11'' from transom towards bow thinking there may be a small scratch or gouge allowing moisture to seep under the varnish for 2 seasons in a row i let the hull dry for a month sand back and re-varnish same result once exposed to water same scenario all over again ! Last winter stripped and sanded the complete hull back to bare wood re-finished the hull in Epifanes marine varnish following the instructions on the can to the letter. Started running the hull last spring with exactly the same problem all over again with the 2 vertical sponson surfaces inside the tunnel area developing a sand paper like surface from transom towards bow for a 11'' area while the sponson bottoms sides and top remained perfect condition i even checked for scratches and gouges and found none. Im thinking of sanding the area back to bare wood and building it up with 3 coats of Pacer finishing resin then re-varnishing again. Do's any one have any other methods of solving this issue ? What may cause this problem ? Regards Andris Golts.

I would be sure that any moisture had gone after sanding. And be sure that what I use is meant to be in full contact with water. Some epoxis are meant to be used over the waterline.