Thread: new boat over the winter

Default new boat over the winter

ok guys I'm looking for a new boat for next season. don't want to break the bank but watching all these videos on youtube it seems that a decent boat is in between 3 and 4 hundred bucks ...and sometimes there not ready to run you need to buy batteries...and we all know they aint cheap..I have a mini mono now and a Traxxas blast which is junk..got it at a garage sale.. and a pond to run it in so I'm good for that.. if would really appreciate any and all comments and recommendations on what you think..I really want to make the leap and get something really nice...

Take a look @ the new Proboat Sonicwake 36 self righting mono around $400, you will need to buy batteries for it. This is a boat that out of the box will do 50mph +, with a simple prop upgrade the boat has hit 71mph.

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    Take a look @ the new Proboat Sonicwake 36 self righting mono around $400, you will need to buy batteries for it. This is a boat that out of the box will do 50mph +, with a simple prop upgrade the boat has hit 71mph.
    1+ That looks like a great boat. I was really mad it came out a few weeks after I got my Recoil 26. I would have paid the extra $100 plus battery cost for the Sonicwake. The Recoil has been a blast to run but more speed is always more fun!

Sonic wake....you will not be disappointed.....!!!!

Just to reiterate, I have newer small brushless boats, modified vintage boats, and a modified twin Zonda cat, the Recoil has been great! I would sell the Recoil to get a Sonicwake but I'm sure the Sonicwake has killed the resale market on the Recoil. So I will run my Recoil until it dies and then replace it with a Sonicwake. So mad the Sonicwake came out a few weeks after my Recoil purchase, LOL! Oh well what can you do about it?? LOL!

I'm sure there's people that buy the recoil....it does have a good following...and it is a fun boat...

Quote Originally Posted by 30nitro View Post
    I'm sure there's people that buy the recoil....it does have a good following...and it is a fun boat...
    For sure the recoil is a great boat and I have had a blast with it over the summer. It is the boat I keep on my 1:1 boat to run, it is a blast to run on the open lake jumping waves! I purchased it for the self righting capabilities on the open lake and it works perfect! No need to walk or swim to it since it self rights. I have let my friends young kids run it on the lake also because of no worries of it flipping over. In the open lake I would run the Sonicwake also and let other people or kids drive it since it self rights. The Recoil is 30+mph the Sonicwake is 50+mph. I personally would rather have the Sonicwake. $300 for the Recoil or $400 for the Sonicwake?? If somebody wants a good deal on a Recoil 26 I will sell it to help fund a new Sonicwake for myself. I know batteries are way more expensive for the Sonicwake vs the Recoil but I guess its all what you in a boat.

you can put a dynamite 120 in the recoil and run 4s with it . much faster .Rafael always said the motor can take 4s but not the included esc .
    volantex vector pro ,proboat veles 29 , traxxas spartan, hobbyking/tfl pursuit ,ft009 with rescue rigging

can you post some pics on here of your Recoil and what's included...I live in michigan as well...

Where in MI? I'm in Harrison Twp. Boat is all stock perfect shape and comes as if you purchased a new one. Original box, boat, stand, transmitter, battery, charger. I did loose the plastic antenna tube in a role over, never bothered replacing it since I'm sure it would loose it again. Just got the actual antenna sticking out of the boat.

DSCN3379.jpgDSCN3380.jpgDSCN3381.jpgDSCN3382.jpgDSCN3383.jpg

Venice Township Lennon....Nice boat I've been checking them out on Youtube...not ready to pounce on a boat yet to close to Christmas...and I'm retired so gotta watch all my dimes and nickels....

No worries, I think I might just put it back in the box and try a new ESC and 4s in the spring as boatsrnew suggested. No need to lose a bunch of money on this because a shiny new boat came out. I have other boat projects to spend money on this winter.

Never expected that there so many FE boaters is Mi. that are not more involved on this site. Lake St. Clair is the capital boat area of the world (at least it used to be) more boats per capita than anywhere else in the world. Thought there would be more FE'rs on here.

Maybe/hopefully we all could get together sometime next year after the hard water (had some snow coming down the other day already) is gone and run some boats and get to know one other, share incites and whatever in person.

Holly, MI

John

Default boating remorse...? naw

Quote Originally Posted by emspjay View Post
    No worries, I think I might just put it back in the box and try a new ESC and 4s in the spring as boatsrnew suggested. No need to lose a bunch of money on this because a shiny new boat came out. I have other boat projects to spend money on this winter.
    this boating addiction I picked up is starting to put a crimp in my wallet...might have to get a part time to job to support my new habit...

Quote Originally Posted by heyjack8 View Post
    this boating addiction I picked up is starting to put a crimp in my wallet...might have to get a part time to job to support my new habit...
    LOL for sure! I was into this stuff in the 1980-90's and just picked it up again a few years ago. I'm up to I think 9 boats? and plan on at least another new one this winter. It is a very addicting hobby!!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnc View Post
    Never expected that there so many FE boaters is Mi. that are not more involved on this site. Lake St. Clair is the capital boat area of the world (at least it used to be) more boats per capita than anywhere else in the world. Thought there would be more FE'rs on here.

Maybe/hopefully we all could get together sometime next year after the hard water (had some snow coming down the other day already) is gone and run some boats and get to know one other, share incites and whatever in person.

Holly, MI

John
    That would be a great time! I'm on Lake St. Clair in the canal sub behind Mac Ray marina. I run my boats on the canal except for the Recoil I take out to the lake with me on the 1:1 boat. I did a search on boat clubs awhile ago and I think the main one around here runs at a lake in Shelby Township (not far from me) but with work and everything else in life I have just been running at home for now. But I would be in for a big get together next year!

maybe we should start a page on the forum Michigan Boaters..

I was actually thinking of trying to start some kind of a boat rc club using my pond. but not sure if I could get it going...because I know some people cant find a place to run their boats.

ok guys been looking at some boats and I'm just thinking about for the amount of money I'm willing to spend I'm kinda leaning towards the Aqua craft Revolt...anyone have any comments on that boat...positive or negative...let me know...I just found out this boat has been discontinued..guess that ones out...
    Last edited by heyjack8; 11-02-2018 at 01:05 PM.

We have 8 or 9 Revolts in our club and more being added now that they seem to be available again. It’s been the biggest growing class the last couple years giving the nitro guys an introduction to electric. It’s always a fun class.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

Default revolt

Quote Originally Posted by pescador View Post
    We have 8 or 9 Revolts in our club and more being added now that they seem to be available again. It’s been the biggest growing class the last couple years giving the nitro guys an introduction to electric. It’s always a fun class.

they have been discontinued...such a nice boat too...

They are back in stock at Tower if you want one.
    https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXBXEP**&P=3

Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

I just received a Sonicwake 36 in black and green ordered from my local hobby store.

This boat is absolutely gorgeous, well designed and carefully crafted plus there is virtually nothing you need to do to it except install the batteries and sharpen the prop which was well balanced right out of the box.

The two big pluses that made me pull the trigger on this bad boy were the self righting feature and soon a ton of replacement parts will be available if you break something.

Some will say it's a toy because of the ABS plastic hull but this boat has some real heft to it and looks plenty thick enough to withstand some rough water abuse without issues.

I'll be running mine on 4s and upgrade the prop to an Octura M445.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Revolt 30 is also a really nice boat. I started my foray into FE boating with a silver one and it's still going strong four seasons later. I liked it so much I now have two more a red and blue one.

There is really not much you need to do to the Revolt but I would suggest upgrading the drive shaft, sharpen and balance the prop and make sure it passes the bathtub test before you run it.