Thread: New to racing.

Default New to racing.

Hi, I'm new to RC boat racing. I'm a IMPBA member but have yet to race. I have a Conquest 44" cat gas boat. But I'm loking to also get into racing an electric powered boat as it's easier to find places to practice because of the noise of gas rc's. I've been trying to scan the IMPBA class rules to find out about electric classes but I'm finding it a bit confusing and could use so help please. I'm about to purchase a used Aquacraft Motley Crue cat. Will this boat fall into any of the sanctioned classes and if so could someone point me to the rules section for that class. Thanks.

Hey David

The best advice I can give you is to reach out to your local club to get a feel of what classes they currently have the numbers to race with. The Motley Crew is an excellent boat and lots of fun to drive. However, if there aren’t any other catamarans in your area; having a MC could be a bummer.

In most places the MC with the stock motor/voltage combination is going to run in a P Limited or P Spec class. That means 4S lipo's and some sort of constraint on motor diameter, length, and possibly weight. There is currently no written rule in the IMPBA specific to this Limited or Spec class. What this does, it allows the local clubs to be adaptive to their specific area creating local rules that gets people to the pond and racing.