Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stock Proboat flex shaft vs OSE upgraded flex shaft

I spent a couple hours swinging a big magnet out into the pond hoping to drag in my shaft and prop. No luck, I think I was a few feet shy of getting out far enough... but I got a bunch of new blisters on my fingers. at least I tried.
    The new HD cable should be here today though.

question:
    Will the thicker HD flex shaft still wind up(shrink) under load and require a gap equal to the shaft diameter between the strut and drive dog?
    I made a gauge tool to set the spacing for the stock diameter shaft, I can make another thicker gauge if needed.

Well, it’s in there. Just barely enough room to fit the shaft saver in there. I did have to move and adjust the motor mount a bit to get a good alignment to the shaft.
    I took the long and expensive way of upgrading to the HD flex cable. But it’s a done deal.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hawcer View Post
    question:
    Will the thicker HD flex shaft still wind up(shrink) under load and require a gap equal to the shaft diameter between the strut and drive dog?
    I made a gauge tool to set the spacing for the stock diameter shaft, I can make another thicker gauge if needed.
    Yes.
    TFL Zonda (124mph), Miss Geico Zelos 36 (108mph), Veles 29 (91mph), Zelos Twin 36 (90mph), Miss Geico 29v3 (83.5mph), Sonicwake 36 V2 (83mph), Blackjack 42 (81mph), TFL Pursuit (79mph), UL-19 (75mph), Sonicwake 36 (73mph), Motley Crew (47.5mph), AquaCraft Rescue 17

I have been using the the .150 flex shaft with one of those much larger and burlier collars and have had no issues but there is no room for the prop saver ring in there. I have the HD flex shaft as well but as of yet haven't needed/used it. I have heard they are pretty loud as you have to take out the existing teflon liner to fit them in the brass stuffing tube. Can anyone verify that?

I didn’t notice it being louder, but I’ve only run the smaller cnc prop with the HD shaft so far. It is much quieter than the stock shaft was though....but it was bent. The .150 upgrade shaft was a lot quieter than stock too, but it didn’t have a chance to run it much.

Good to know. By the way, if you do ever use a .150 flex shaft again, this is the coupler I use and it has worked perfect:

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...ct-ocfhe5mm15d

Looks like the one you've got now actually.

My goal was to get my boat as efficient as posible on 4s. (Run times + reduced heat) before moving to 5 & 6s. It was about as good as it gets (run time,low temps, respectable top speed) with the prepped x442 prop.

Next spring, I’ll add more volts and start over again.

Yeah, probably a good idea. I went to straight to 6S but it took me a couple months of working on it and adding the little upgrades between my real job and life in general. A few tines I wondered why the hell I didn't just go enjoy it on 4S. That being said, once you experience the speed of 6S you won't ever look back :-) Plus, working on them is really half the fun in the end.

Whats up fellow boaters.
    About to receive my UL19 next week and got a question that I believe was asked but i didn't see an answer.( I may have missed it)
    Pulling the stock liner out to run the .187 cable.. Does this create any added noise? Not that it matters much to me. I am an avid grease, clean, grease guy. :)
    Just Curious.

I didn't notice any extra noise with the liner removed. but it sure seemed to have less drag on the flex shaft.
    Do this:
    Loosen the coupler and spin the stock shaft by hand and make a mental note on how freely it turns. Then after pulling the liner, try the same thing with the HD shaft.

Side note on HD shaft installing:
    The coupler is longer and reduces the space between the coupler collet nut and the brass stuffing tube. Some have had to trim the tube when using a shaft saver collar.
    I was able to get it to work by adjusting the motor mount forward and the motor up/down in the mount. Make sure the shaft lines up and slips easily in and out of the coupler with final adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawcer View Post
    I didn't notice any extra noise with the liner removed. but it sure seemed to have less drag on the flex shaft.
    Do this:
    Loosen the coupler and spin the stock shaft by hand and make a mental note on how freely it turns. Then after pulling the liner, try the same thing with the HD shaft.

Side note on HD shaft installing:
    The coupler is longer and reduces the space between the coupler collet nut and the brass stuffing tube. Some have had to trim the tube when using a shaft saver collar.
    I was able to get it to work by adjusting the motor mount forward and the motor up/down in the mount. Make sure the shaft lines up and slips easily in and out of the coupler with final adjustments.

Ya. I am a little OCD about shaft motor alignment myself.
    I got not issues buzzing off a little of the brass tubing if needed.
    I run a liner in my PM skater as it already has .187 shift. Im not a fan of .150 shafts when I plan on running a little more than stock power :)

Cant wait to get this little boat.....oh wait its 20 degrees outside and water be froze in no time. Guess it will give me some tweek time

I have not used that larger upgraded shaft on mine yet as the standard OSE upgraded shaft seems to be working fine on 6S however, a couple guys on the Pro Boat UL 19 Owners page on Facebook have said it's a touch louder without the inner liner but nothing too bad apparently.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12