Thread: How to add throttle hold to electric radio and boat

Default How to add throttle hold to electric radio and boat

Can it be done . Like to have throttle hold option for safety on my boats like I do on Heli. Any suggestions thx

Sure you can, just flip the same switch you do with your heli.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

The radios I use for boats don’t have a switch. I ask cause I got cut trying to pic up my boat and hit the throttle. I like to have the same option. When getting ready to run my boat after it’s turned on I have to tape the canopy on. At that point it’s hot. Now I have to pick up the boat walk it down to the pond run it and then pick it up and walk with it and radio to the pits. At any time if the throttle get hit the prop will spin up. On Heli I just use throttle hold on a switch on my radio. But marine radio do not have this option. I could mount a switch on the outside of the boat but if it flip or gets hit it will shut the boat down and I don’t want that. There has to be a way to use this option on boats. Does Futaba make a boat radio with a switch that can be used to program this? Please help if you can . Thx

You could just use your heli radio. You already have it, and it has the features you want. I've not really looked at Futaba surface radios, I am quite happy using the same 8FG I fly with for my boats.

I have a throttle hold switch available on my 8FG, but I dont use it. I have a safety loop on the outside of the hull, so I can tape up an hour prior to my run, carry it down to the lake with the electrics totally disconnected, then just plug in at the water's edge. If I am testing I can bring it in and unplug it without untaping, change the prop or strut setting in perfect safety, then plug back in and be running again in less than a minute, it really is very convenient. It is also mandatory of all the FE racing I know of outside the American continent.

Hay Paul,
    Good ideas. I like the wheel radio for cars and boats. Interested in this safety loop. I go try to find out how to setup that. That is just what I need . Are these for sale somewhere? No one in both my electric clubs use that but need to. Thx buddy

As far as I know the only ones commercially available are Tenshock ones with 4mm connectors, but they are easy enough to make yourself with the connectors of your choice.
    Unfortunately my website no longer works, but there is enough info spead over this thread to learn how to build one.
    -Isolation-loop-and-using-a-anti-spark-battery-