Thread: Changing stock motor bearings

Default Changing stock motor bearings

Just ordered some Boca 5x16x5 ceramic hybrid bearings for this motor. The reason for wanting to change them is that after the last run I noticed what looked to be a bit of rust on the shaft around the front bearing area. I figure this rust might be coming from the front bearing. I'd rather deal with this now before the bearings seize up entirely.

I was just wondering what is the best way to disassemble the motor and pop these out without damaging anything. This will be my first bearing replacement.
    Current boats
    Aquacraft Cajun Commander, Aquacraft Mini Alligator Tours - brushless, ProBoat Blackjack 9, ProBoat Impulse 9, ProBoat Recoil 17, ProBoat Blackjack 24, ProBoat Shockwave 26 BL V3

I changed the bearings in my stock motor too. That motor sits so low in the hull, it get wets easily if the hull take on any water. Here are some photos of how I got at mine:
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...731#post692731
    Last edited by fweasel; 10-19-2018 at 12:14 PM.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Well, the bearing replacement was successful.

Took the motor apart, put the end caps in my oven at 300 degrees F for about 5 minutes and the old bearings popped right out. I then popped in the new Bocas, reassembled and reinstalled the motor and ran the boat earlier today with no problems at all.

Good thing I replaced these when I did. The front bearing was pretty nasty looking on the inside.
    Current boats
    Aquacraft Cajun Commander, Aquacraft Mini Alligator Tours - brushless, ProBoat Blackjack 9, ProBoat Impulse 9, ProBoat Recoil 17, ProBoat Blackjack 24, ProBoat Shockwave 26 BL V3

Nice trick with the oven. I'm glad I drilled out the rear end cap, makes for easy access to oil the rear bearing.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)